Fayette County courthouse in Fayette
Location in Fayette County and the state of Alabama
|• Total||8.7 sq mi (22.4 km2)|
|• Land||8.6 sq mi (22.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||371 ft (113 m)|
|• Density||529.1/sq mi (203.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0157950|
Fayette is located at (33.692068, -87.832358).
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 8.6 square miles (22 km2), of which, 8.6 square miles (22 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (0.93%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,922 people, 2,092 households, and 1,303 families residing in the city. The population density was 575.1 people per square mile (222.0/km²). There were 2,336 housing units at an average density of 273.0 per square mile (105.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 75.34% White, 23.38% Black or African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.30% from other races, and 0.57% from two or more races. One percent of the population was Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 2,092 households out of which 26.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.2% were married couples living together, 14.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.7% were non-families. 35.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.20 and the average family size was 2.85.
In the city the population was spread out with 21.4% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 24.2% from 25 to 44, 23.9% from 45 to 64, and 21.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 81.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 75.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,714, and the median income for a family was $36,589. Males had a median income of $29,857 versus $21,899 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,553. About 12.5% of families and 18.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.2% of those under age 18 and 22.9% of those age 65 or over.
- Mike Davis, Texas Southern University men's basketball Head Coach
- Ronnie McCollum, professional basketball player
- Devin Moore, convict who sparked a large controversy over the video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, leading to the court case Strickland v. Sony.
- Michael Moore Former NFL Player
- Charly "Carlos" Palmer, American fine artist
- Curt Porter, former offensive guard for the Denver Broncos
- Dexter Roberts, country singer. Finished in seventh place on the thirteenth season of American Idol
- Jimmy Lee Sudduth (1910–2007), outsider artist and blues musician
- 6 Tre G, American hip hop recording artist, record producer, and CEO
West Alabama TV Cable provide cable television service. DirecTV and Dish Network provide direct broadcast satellite television including both local and national channels to area residents. Internet is provided by Century Link. The local radio station is WLDX. The local newspaper is The Times Record
Fayette is home to some major companies: Ox Bodies, one of the world's leading producers of dump truck bodies, Golden Eagle Syrup, Alabama Sunshine, Showa Best Glove Company and Dal-Tile.
Mayor Ray Nelson
Councilwoman Linda McCraw Ward 1
Councilman Mike Hardin Ward 2
Councilman Jason Cowart Ward 3
Councilman Cedric Wilson (Mayor Pro-Tem)
Councilman David Brand Ward 5
Bevill State Community College has a location in Fayette.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Fayette has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2013". Retrieved June 3, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Climate Summary for Fayette, Alabama