Fayette Township, Lawrence County, Ohio
|Fayette Township, Lawrence County, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Lawrence County
|• Total||27.6 sq mi (71.5 km2)|
|• Land||27.6 sq mi (71.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||863 ft (263 m)|
|• Density||332.3/sq mi (128.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: 1086441|
Fayette Township is one of the fourteen townships of Lawrence County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 9,169 people in the township, 6,750 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township. Fayette Township includes Ohio's most southerly point.
Located in the far southern part of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Lawrence Township - north
- Windsor Township - southeast corner
- Union Township - east
- Perry Township - west
It is located in the middle of Lawrence County's Ohio River townships.
Part of South Point, the second-largest municipality in Lawrence County, is located along the downstream shoreline of Fayette Township. Most of the rest of the shoreline is occupied by the census-designated place of Burlington.
Name and history
It is the only Fayette Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lawrence County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.