Fear Inside Our Bones
|Fear Inside Our Bones|
|Studio album by The Almost|
|Released||June 11, 2013|
|Genre||Alternative CCM, country rock, Alternative Rock|
|Label||Tooth & Nail|
|The Almost chronology|
Fear Inside Our Bones is the third studio album by alternative CCM band The Almost, who also produced the album with Marshall Altman that released on June 11, 2013 by Tooth & Nail Records. The album was met with commercial charting successes, and achieved critical acclamation.
Music and lyrics
Kim Jones of About.com told that this was "more classic rock." At CCM Magazine, Matt Conner agreed in writing that "Fear Inside Our Bones is a fantastic rock-and-roll affair that shows just how much Gillespie has matured." Christian Music Zine's Tyler Hess noted that "there isn't just a single here or there that will help sell it on the radio, this is a solid, guitar-wailing, cymbal-clashing, ethereal rock album that must be listened to from beginning to end." In addition, Hess wrote that this release was "full of gritty rock and rules madness". At HM, Doug Van Pelt felt that "The Almost might've committed a scene faux pas by rocking out so hard in such a straight-forward way, but if the audience will listen, the energy invoked on these 11 tracks has a great chance of strengthening their fanbase." Michael Weaver of Jesus Freak Hideout stated that the release "has even more of a stark difference from its predecessors. Much of the album features a southern sound; it even has some alt-country at times. The album also contains a bit of a 90s alternative feel as well."
At Kill Your Stereo, Rob Foster found that "The new recording style has given the band a far darker, grittier, and more intense sound than they've had on previous records, and it only serves to do good for them." Melodic.net's Johan Wippsson wrote that "Gone are the punk and emo influences as the alternative rock has taken all the space this time even if you can find some power-pop traces here and there." At Revolver, Meghan Traynor told that the album contained "candid lyrics", and that the album had a penchant for delivering "thundering rhythms and crunchy guitars fans will love, at times even tapping into the pop-rock effervescence of the Foo Fighters." Rock Sound called the music "expectedly succint", and doing this "With a fine balance of delicate melodies, rhythmic guitars and raw emotion, there are plenty of songs with the same atmospheric sounds". At Outburn, Nathaniel Lay evoked that "this collection is track after track of gritty, powerful rock 'n' roll."
|Christian Music Zine|||
|Jesus Freak Hideout||
|Kill Your Stereo||70/100|
Fear Inside Our Bones garnered critical acclaim from the eleven music critics to review the album. Kim Jones at About.com noted that this release was "satisfying, well-developed and natural." At CCM Magazine, Matt Conner prclaimed that "the Almost never sounded better." Christian Music Zine's Tyler Hess called this "an album lover's album" that he did not know if the band "set out to save rock and roll from the clutches of inane pop music, but they may have just done it anyway with one of the best albums of the year so far". At HM, Doug Van Pelt told that "The process translates into an energetic album." Michael Weaver of Jesus Freak Hideout proclaimed this to be "a fantastic sounding record", which "The Almost have produced a stellar product that has the ability to excite current fans and gain new listeners, but it also has the slight possibility of alienating some as well." Also of Jesus Freak Hideout. Roger Gelwicks called this release "an engaging and truly unique effort."
Rob Foster of Kill Your Stereo told that "Aside from the brief dip in the middle, it's a very well done record", and called it "pretty great album". Melodic.net's Johan Wippsson felt that the release was "clearly their best album with stronger songs and a more defined style." Furthermore, Wippsson stated that he did not have anything "negative to say about Fear Inside Your Bones", which he thought that it "is a very good album if you like straightforward, catchy and uncomplicated alternative rock!" At Revolver, Meghan Traynor wrote that "most raw and organic album yet" because it was recorded live in the studio. Rock Sound noted that "while not entirely memorable, 'Fear Inside Our Bones' is an easy-to-listen-to, worthwhile listen." At Outburn, Nathaniel Lay wrote that "The Almost has put a lot of heart and honest effort into these songs, and it places Fear Inside Our Bones above Monster, Monster."
For the Billboard charing week of June 29, 2013, the album was the No. 142 selling album in the entirety of the United States by the Billboard 200 position, and was the No. 5 selling Top Christian Album, the No. 27 Top Independent Album and the No. 44 Top Rock Album.
All songs written and composed by The Almost.
|2.||"Fear Inside Our Bones"||4:07|
|4.||"Never Be Like You"||3:15|
|6.||"The Florida Sun"||4:33|
|8.||"I Won't Let Go"||4:00|
|10.||"Love Is Coming Down"||3:22|
|US Billboard 200||142|
|US Christian Albums (Billboard)||5|
|US Independent Albums (Billboard)||27|
|US Top Rock Albums (Billboard)||44|
- Weaver, Michael (May 31, 2013). "The Almost, "Fear Inside Our Bones" Review". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- Jones, Kim (June 11, 2013). "The Almost - Fear Inside Our Bones CD Review". About.com. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- Conner, Matt (August 1, 2013). "The Almost: Fear Inside Our Bones (Tooth & Nail)". CCM Magazine. p. 74. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- Hess, Tyler (June 11, 2013). "The Almost – Fear Inside Our Bones (Review)". Christian Music Zine. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- Van Pelt, Doug (April 1, 2013). "The Almost – Fear Inside Our Bones". HM. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- Foster, Rob (June 2, 2013). "The Almost – Fear Inside Our Bones". Kill Your Stereo. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- Johan, Wippsson (June 11, 2013). "The Almost – Fear Inside Our Bones". Melodic.net. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- Traynor, Meghan (March 7, 2013). "Review: The Almost – Fear Inside Our Bones". Revolver. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- "The Almost – Fear Inside Our Bones". Rock Sound. July 26, 2013. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- Lay, Nathaniel (2013). "The Almost: Fear Inside Our Bones (Tooth & Nail)". Outburn (Octavia Laird and Rodney Kusano). June/July 2013 (69): 58. ISSN 1542-1309. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- Gelwicks, Roger (June 9, 2013). "The Almost, "Fear Inside Our Bones" Review: Second Staff Opinion". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- Billboard (June 29, 2013). "Christian Albums : June 29, 2013". Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- "The Almost Album & Song Chart History" Billboard 200 for The Almost. Prometheus Global Media.
- "The Almost Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Christian Albums for The Almost. Prometheus Global Media.
- "The Almost Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Independent Albums for The Almost. Prometheus Global Media.
- "The Almost Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Top Rock Albums for The Almost. Prometheus Global Media.