Fear Itself (TV series)
Fear Itself intertitle
|Created by||Mick Garris|
|Theme music composer||Serj Tankian|
|Opening theme||"Lie Lie Lie" by Serj Tankian|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13|
|Executive producer(s)||Andrew Deane|
|Location(s)||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Running time||42 min. (approx.)|
|Production company(s)||Fear Itself Productions
|Original channel||NBC / AXN Sci-Fi|
|Original run||June 5, 2008 – July 31, 2008|
Fear Itself was a horror/suspense anthology television series shot in the city of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, with some additional shooting in the city of St. Albert and the town of Devon, Alberta. It began airing on June 5, 2008 on NBC.
The show aired Thursday nights at 10/9c. It was put on hiatus for the duration of the 2008 Summer Olympics, with the promise of a return once the event was over, but no further episodes were aired. While NBC failed to comment on the fate of the series once the Olympics ended, its time-slot was thereafter filled with re-runs of other NBC shows and Fear Itself did not appear on the NBC Fall 2008 schedule.
Its title is derived from the famous Franklin D. Roosevelt quote "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." The anthology was born out of Masters of Horror and shares several of the same creative elements: self-contained horror/thriller stories directed by the biggest horror directors working in features today; both shows were created by Mick Garris and both shows are produced by Industry Entertainment's Andrew Deane, Adam Goldworm and Ben Browning. Stuart Gordon, Brad Anderson, John Landis and Rob Schmidt all directed at least one episode of each series. Guest stars included Eric Roberts, Anna Kendrick, Brandon Routh, Briana Evigan, Elisabeth Moss, and Cory Monteith. The song in the opening credits is entitled "Lie Lie Lie" by System of a Down front man Serj Tankian, from his first solo album Elect the Dead.
On March 13, 2009, it was confirmed that the series had been canceled and would not be returning to NBC. The complete series was released on DVD on September 15, 2009.
The first season includes thirteen episodes.
|Episode||Director||Title||Ratings||Air Date (US)|
|1||Breck Eisner||"The Sacrifice"||5.29||June 5, 2008|
|2||Brad Anderson||"Spooked"||4.89||June 12, 2008|
|3||Ronny Yu||"Family Man"||4.66||June 19, 2008|
|4||John Landis||"In Sickness and in Health"||4.47||June 26, 2008|
|5||Stuart Gordon||"Eater"||4.74||July 3, 2008|
|6||Darren Lynn Bousman||"New Year's Day"||2.93||July 17, 2008|
|7||Mary Harron||"Community"||3.21||July 24, 2008|
|8||Larry Fessenden||"Skin & Bones"||3.87||July 31, 2008|
|9||Ernest Dickerson||"Something With Bite"||---||Unaired|
|11||Rob Schmidt||"The Spirit Box"||---||Unaired|
|13||Eduardo Rodríguez||"The Circle"||---||Unaired|
All episodes of Fear Itself have been aired:
- in the Middle East on MBC Action
- in Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Romania on AXN Sci-Fi
- in Philippines on AXN Beyond and Studio 23 (free to air)
- in Latin America on Space ("Something With Bite", "Echoes", and "Chance" aired dubbed in Spanish, while all others aired with SAP)
- in France on Orange Cinechoc in October / November 2009 (all episodes aired with SAP, both French dubbed and original English version).
- in Italy on Fox in October 2009 / January 2010 (all episodes aired with SAP, both Italian dubbed and original English version).
- in Norway on Viasat 4, February / March 2010
- In Brazil, on Space and Globosat HD
- In Greece, οn Skai TV
- In Russia, on RenTV, (before that, at least one another TV channel aired some episodes, but cancelled the rest of the show after a while)
- In Slovenia on TV3 Slovenia
- In South Asia, on AXN, 2010 and Animax, 2011
- In Spain, on Cuatro
- In Sweden on kanal 6
- In Denmark, on TV3+
- In the UK the show started airing on 5* from Friday 4th May 2012.
- In Australia the show commenced screening in August 2012 on the FX channel, available on the Foxtel platform.
The episodes are run in a different order on the DVD and within online streaming sites.
- NBC Lights Up Summer With A Burst Of Original Program Premieres As Part Of 'NBC'S All-American Summer'
- Roosevelt, Franklin Delano. "First Inaugural Address". Wikisource. Retrieved 2003-03-02.
- 2008 - 2009 Cancelled Shows: NBC Cancels 10 Television Series
- 'Psych,' 'FNL' Actors Join 'Fear Itself'
- Fear Itself at the Internet Movie Database
- Fear Itself at TV.com
- Fear Itself Directors, Writers and Stars Announced