Fear in the Night (1972 film)
|Fear in the Night|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jimmy Sangster|
|Produced by||Jimmy Sangster|
|Written by||Jimmy Sangster
|Music by||John McCabe|
|Edited by||Peter Weatherly|
|Release dates||9 July 1972|
|Running time||94 min.|
Fear in the Night is a 1972 British psychological horror film, directed by Jimmy Sangster and produced by Hammer Film Productions. It was written by Sangster and Michael Syston, produced by Sangster and stars Judy Geeson, Joan Collins and Peter Cushing. In the United States it was released as part of a double bill with Demons of the Mind.
The film follows a young woman who goes to take up a new position working in a boys' boarding school. She soon begins to believe she is losing her mind when she starts being terrorized by a one-armed man.
- Judy Geeson as Peggy Heller
- Joan Collins as Molly Carmichael
- Peter Cushing as Michael Carmichael
- Ralph Bates as Robert Heller
- James Cossins as The Doctor
- Gillian Lind as Mrs. Beamish
- John Bown as 1st Policeman
- Brian Grellis as 2nd Policeman
Fear in the Night derived from a script written by Jimmy Sangster called Brainstorm that was originally developed for Universal Pictures in 1963. The film had been scheduled to go into production several times: first in Autumn 1964, then "tentatively" in 1965. In 1967 he retitled the film The Claw. It was not until 1971 that the script was altered by Sangster and co-writer Michael Syson and turned into Fear in the Night.
Time Out called the film "one of those neatly constructed but slightly mechanical psycho-thrillers which make you feel as if someone is pushing buttons connected to electrodes in your brain", but that "Hammer fans will soon recognise the plot as a thinly disguised reworking of A Taste of Fear (sic)".
- Tom Johnson and Deborah Del Vecchio, Hammer Films: An Exhaustive Filmography, McFarland, 1996 p355
- McFarlane 2005, p. 172–173.
- Hearn & Barnes 2007, p. 65.
- "Fear in the Night Review. Movie Reviews - Film - Time Out London". Time Out. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- McFarlane, Brian (2005). The Cinema of Britain and Ireland. Wallflower Press.
- Hearn, Marcus; Barnes, Alan (September 2007). "Taste of Fear". The Hammer Story: The Authorised History of Hammer Films (Limited ed.). Titan Books. ISBN 1 84576 185 5.