Fear of the Dark (song)
|"Fear of the Dark (live)"|
|Single by Iron Maiden|
|from the album Fear of the Dark and A Real Live One|
|B-side||"Bring Your Daughter...To The Slaughter (live)"
"Be Quick Or Be Dead (live)"
"Hooks In You (live)"
|Released||1 March 1993|
|Iron Maiden singles chronology|
The single "Fear of the Dark (live)" is the 26th single released by the band. This live version of the song (as well as the live versions of "Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter, Be Quick or Be Dead, and Tailgunner") are taken from the live album A Real Live One. The single reached number 8 in the UK charts. The live version of "Hooks in You" was recorded at the Wembley Arena, London, UK on 17 December 1990. The initial pressing of the 7" cut-to-shape vinyl picture disc listed Hooks In You (live) as the B-side but actually played Tailgunner (live). This mis-press was quickly corrected by EMI on future pressings.
The song has been covered by German a cappella metal band van Canto on their album Hero, as well as the Italian metal band Graveworm on their 2001 album Scourge of Malice, by the also Italian death metal band Infernal Poetry on their 2005 album Beholding the Unpure and by the Finnish band Sturm und Drang as the bonus track on their 2008 album Rock 'n Roll Children.
The song was also covered by Fightstar for kerrang's Maiden Heaven.
When the song is performed live, the audience always sings along to the melody during the soft (and sometimes the heavy) sections. It has been featured on all the bands live releases since its release.
The cover features Eddie as Steve himself playing on his bass guitar live on stage.
- "Fear of the Dark (live)" (Steve Harris) – 7:11
- "Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter (live)" (Bruce Dickinson) – 5:17 (UK CD single digipack)
- "Be Quick Or Be Dead (live)" (Bruce Dickinson, Janick Gers) - 3:21 (Holland CD single)
- "Tailgunner (live)" (Bruce Dickinson, Steve Harris) (7" vinyl posterbag)
- "Hooks in You (live)" (Bruce Dickinson, Adrian Smith) – 4:06 (all formats except 7" vinyl posterbag)
- 3 track CD digipack
- 3 track CD
- 2 track 7" vinyl posterbag
- 2 track cut-to-shape vinyl picture disc
- Bruce Dickinson – vocals
- Steve Harris – bass guitar, backing vocals
- Dave Murray – guitar
- Janick Gers –guitar, backing vocals
- Nicko McBrain – drums
- Graveworm, for their 2001 album Scourge of Malice (often incorrectly attributed to Cradle of Filth or Children of Bodom).
- Alternative rock band Fightstar performed a cover of the song for the Kerrang! "Maiden Heaven" tribute album,.
- It was performed by Chuck Billy, Craig Goldy, Ricky Phillips, and Mikkey Dee for the tribute album Numbers from the Beast.
- Italian Techno Duo DJ Activator and Francesco Zeta covered the song 2008 as a Hardstyle version and released it as a single in Italy.
- The Finnish Metal/Rock band Sturm und Drang performed a cover of this song on their 2008 release "Rock N' Roll Children" as a bonus track 
- A cappella metal band Van Canto covered it on their second album Hero.
- Doro Pesch performed with Blaze Bayley on a Classical live version in 2004 at Wacken Open Air with strings and acoustic guitars.
- Justice at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007.
- Pentagram (only live).
- 1200 Micrograms' High Paradise, released on the album Live in Brazil (and remixes of it on others) features this song heavily.
- Colombian Black Gothic Metal band Ethereal performed a cover of the song for the album Shroud of Flesh released in 2000.
|Irish Singles Chart||17|
|UK Singles Chart||8|
- "Grammy Awards: Best Metal Performance". Rock on the Net. Retrieved 27 December 2010.
- Encyclopaedia Metallum - Graveworm (Ita) - Scourge of Malice
- DJ Activator - Fear of the Dark
- Sturm Und Drang - Fear of the Dark
- Blaze Bayley and Doro Pesch - Fear of the Dark
- Pentagram - Fear Of The Dark (Live in Izmir)
- "Irish singles archive". IRMA. irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- "Top 40 Official Singles Chart UK Archive 13 March 1993". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 17 October 2011.