February 2012 Idlib Operation
|February 2012 Idlib operation|
|Part of the Idlib Governorate clashes (September 2011–March 2012)|
|Casualties and losses|
|11–54 killed (February 15)
38 killed (February 16)
55 killed (February 21)
The February 2012 Idlib operation was an action taken by the Regular Syrian Army, against anti-government Syrian forces in the city of Idlib, central city of the Idlib Governorate, as part of the 2011–2012 Syrian uprising. The operation began on February 14, 2012.
As early as February 12, it was reported that the opposition forces within the city of Idlib were under preparations for the "inevitable attack" by Syrian Army troops.
The operation in Idlib city began on February 14, 2012. The Syrian Revolution General Commission reported that 54 people have been killed by security force gunfire across Syria on February 15, with most of the deaths in Idlib. The LCC reported the number of deaths at Idlib on February 15 at 11 fatalities. Chinese media reported photos of Idlib residents escaping a tank attack on the city.
On February 16, Russian sources reported that several of the Idlib neighbourhoods fell under the control of armed groups who were looting government buildings and private offices. The LCC reported that a massacre took place in the city, with 38 people killed, most in the Muhameel, allegedly executed by Syrian Army. Heavy tank fire was also reported in the area.
On February 19, FSA gunmen killed a state prosecutor and a judge.
On February 21, LCC reported 55 were killed in a massacre.
- Abouzeid, Rania (February 11, 2012). "Syrian Rebels Plot Their Next Moves: A Time Exclusive". Time.
- "More Killing In Syria 21-2-2012 - Local coordination committees of Syria". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Opposition Stronghold Prepares For Assault, 12 February 2012
- "Assad sets date for Syria referendum". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian citizens escape from homes after Army tanks attack Idlib". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Massacre in Idlib 16-2-2012 - Local coordination committees of Syria". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Syrian state prosecutor, judge assassinated in Idlib". CTVNews. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Telegraph "Syria: Idlib rebels prepare for Assad onslaught" 
- Sina: "Syrian citizens escape from homes after Army tanks attack Idlib".