Federal Correctional Institution, Milan
near Milan, Michigan
|Managed by||Federal Bureau of Prisons|
This prison is a low-security facility for male inmates. Its adjacent Federal Detention Center houses pretrial and holdover inmates. The institution sits on approximately 332 acres (1.344 km2) and consists of 59 buildings with a total gross floor area of 504,200 square feet (46,840 m2).
FCI Milan was activated on April 6, 1933, as a "Federal Detention Farm" and has undergone mission changes throughout its history. FCI Milan held female inmates from 1933 to 1939, housed offenders sentenced under the Federal Youth Corrections Act of 1950, and was once a medium-security institution. The only federal execution in Michigan occurred on July 8, 1938, when Anthony Chebatoris was hanged for the murder of Henry Porter, a truck driver from Bay City, who Chebatoris mistook for a police officer during a bank robbery.
Helen Gillis and Evelyn Frechette, the wives of notorious bank robbers Baby Face Nelson and John Dillinger, served one-year sentences at FCI Milan in the mid-1930s after being convicted of aiding their husbands evade authorities.
Facility and inmate programs
FCI Milan covers 300 acres (120 ha) and offers a Residential Drug Abuse Program (RDAP), which offers inmates completing its 500-hour residential program up to a 12-month sentence reduction and up to six months in a halfway house. There are very strict guidelines for admission due to the program's popularity.
The Life Connections Program (LCP) is an 18-month residential voluntary multi-faith restorative justice program which is offered in only four other federal prisons. The program is designed to reduce recidivism and bring reconciliation to the victim, community and inmate through personal transformation using the participant's faith commitment.
FCI Milan offers a unique program in federal prisons in conjunction with Milan High School where inmates can earn a high school diploma. Milan is the only federal prison which has a high school diploma program.
|Inmate Name||Register Number||Status||Details|
|Vicente Zambada-Niebla||Unknown||Currently awaiting trial.||Alleged leader of the Sinaloa Cartel, which imports hundreds of tons of cocaine into the US from Mexico each year and is responsible for thousands of drug-related murders in both countries; extradited to the US in 2010.|
|Kwame Kilpatrick||44678-039||Sentenced to 28 years on October 10, 2013.||Mayor of Detroit from 2002 to 2008; convicted of racketeering conspiracy in 2013 for using his office to commit extortion, bribery and fraud.|
|Albert Gonzalez||25702-050||Serving a 20-year sentence; scheduled for release in 2025.||Pleaded guilty in 2009 to leading ShadowCrew, which infiltrated the networks of nationwide chain stores and stole the credit card numbers of millions of customers, causing losses of $4.3 million.|
|Ladmarald Cates||11315-089||Serving a 24-year sentence; scheduled for release in 2032.||Former Milwaukee Police officer; convicted in 2012 of civil rights violations for raping a woman after responding to her 911 call in 2010.|
|Arthur Payton||36747-198||Serving a 45-year sentence.||Serial bank robber; convicted in 1994, 2005 and 2012 of recruiting heroin-addicted prostitutes to rob banks in California and Michigan; appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show in 1994 as the "bank-robbing pimp."|
|Inmate Name||Register Number||Status||Details|
|Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab||36747-198||Held at FCI Milan during court proceedings; currently serving a life sentence at Florence ADX.||Al-Qaeda supporter; pleaded guilty in 2011 to attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction for trying to detonate an explosive sewn into his underwear on Northwest Airlines Flight 253 on Christmas Day 2009; known as the "Underwear Bomber."|
- "FCI Milan Contact Information." Federal Bureau of Prisons. Retrieved on January 5, 2010.
- "Precinct Map." (Archive) York Charter Township. Retrieved on January 5, 2010.
- "MINUTES OF A REGULAR MEETING OF THE MILAN CITY COUNCIL HELD ON DECEMBER 7, 2009 AT 7:30 P.M. IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS, MILAN CITY HALL, 147 WABASH STREET, MILAN, MICHIGAN, 48160."[dead link] City of Milan. Minutes approved December 7, 2009. Retrieved on January 5, 2010. "The City has a ten year agreement through the General Services Administration (GSA) to provide utility services to the Federal Corrections Institute and the Federal Detention Center, located in York Township, which expired September 30th."
- "FCI Milan." Federal Bureau of Prisons. Retrieved on January 5, 2010.
- "Helen Wawryzniak Gillis: The Wife of Baby Face Nelson". Ellen Poulsen. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- Frechette, Evelyn. "Primary Sources: 'What I Knew About John Dillinger' -- By His Sweetheart". PBS Online. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- Zych, C. "Admission and Orientation Handbook Federal Correctional Institution Milan, Michigan." Federal Bureau of Prisons. 9 (11 of 24). Retrieved on May 8, 2010.
- Goudie, Chuck. "Mexican druglord unhappy with move from Chicago". ABC News. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, His Father Bernard Kilpatrick and City Contractor Bobby Ferguson Were Convicted on Racketeering, Extortion, Bribery, Fraud and Tax Charges". US Department of Justice. Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- Caron, Paul. "Ex-Detroit Mayor Kilpatrick convicted in corruption case". CNN. Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- Neavling, Steve. "Ex-Detroit mayor convicted of widespread corruption". Reuters. Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- Verini, James (November 10, 2010). "The Great Cyberheist". The New York Times. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "Leader of Hacking Ring Sentenced for Massive Identity Thefts from Payment Processor and U.S. Retail Networks". US Department of Justice. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "'Bank-robbing pimp' sentenced to 45 years". UPI. February 8, 2013. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- "SERIAL BANK ROBBER SENTENCED TO 45 YEARS IN FEDERAL PRISON". US Department of Justice. February 7, 2013. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- Davey, Monica (2011-10-12). "Would-Be Detroit Plane Bomber Pleads Guilty, Ending Trial". The New York Times.