Federal Department of Justice and Police
|Federal Department of Justice and Police|
|Jurisdiction||Federal administration of Switzerland|
|Annual budget||Expenditure: CHF 1.4 billion
Revenue: CHF 130.8 million
|Minister responsible||Simonetta Sommaruga, Federal Councillor|
The Federal Department of Justice and Police (German: Eidgenössisches Justiz- und Polizeidepartement, French: Département fédéral de justice et police, Italian: Dipartimento federale di giustizia e polizia) is one of the seven departments of the Swiss federal government, headed by a member of the Swiss Federal Council. Until 1979, the department was known as the Department of Justice and Police.
The Department is composed of the following offices and institutes:
- General Secretariat
- Federal Office of Justice (FOI): Responsible for providing legal advice to the administration, preparing general legislation, supervising government registers and collaborating on international judicial assistance.
- Federal Office of Police (fedpol): Responsible for intercantonal and international information, coordination and analysis in internal security matters. It also operates the domestic intelligence service (Service for Analysis and Prevention SAP), and the Federal Criminal Police (FCP), which investigates crimes subject to federal jurisdiction.
- Federal Office for Migration (FOM): Responsible for matters relating to foreign nationals and asylum seekers.
- Federal Office of Metrology (METAS): Provides calibration and accreditation services, supervises the use of measuring instruments and provides training in metrology.
- Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property (IIP): Registration authority for patents, trademarks and industrial design.
- Swiss Institute of Comparative Law (SICL): Provides consultancy services on issues of comparative law.
The following independent authorities are affiliated to the FDJP for administrative purposes:
- Federal Gaming Board (FGB): Regulates casinos and enforces Swiss gambling law (except lotteries, which are regulated by the cantons).
List of heads of the department
- 1848-1849: Henri Druey
- 1850-1851: Jonas Furrer
- 1852 only: Henri Druey
- 1853-1854: Jonas Furrer
- 1855 only: Jakob Stämpfli
- 1856-1857: Jonas Furrer
- 1858 only: Melchior Josef Martin Knüsel
- 1859-1861: Jonas Furrer
- 1861-1863: Jakob Dubs
- 1864-1865: Melchior Josef Martin Knüsel
- 1866 only: Jakob Dubs
- 1867-1873: Melchior Josef Martin Knüsel
- 1874-1875: Paul Cérésole
- 1876-1880: Fridolin Anderwert
- 1881 only: Emil Welti
- 1882 only: Antoine Louis John Ruchonnet
- 1883 only: Adolf Deucher
- 1884-1893: Antoine Louis John Ruchonnet
- 1894-1895: Eugène Ruffy
- 1895-1897: Eduard Müller
- 1897-1900: Ernst Brenner
- 1901 only: Robert Comtesse
- 1902-1907: Ernst Brenner
- 1908 only: Josef Anton Schobinger
- 1908 only: Ludwig Forrer
- 1909-1911: Ernst Brenner
- 1911 only: Arthur Hoffmann
- 1912 only: Eduard Müller
- 1913 only: Camille Decoppet
- 1914-1919: Eduard Müller
- 1920-1934: Heinrich Häberlin
- 1934-1940: Johannes Baumann
- 1941-1951: Eduard von Steiger
- 1952-1958: Markus Feldmann
- 1959 only: Friedrich Traugott Wahlen
- 1960-1971: Ludwig von Moos
- 1972-1982: Kurt Furgler
- 1983-1984: Rudolf Friedrich
- 1984-1989: Elisabeth Kopp
- 1989-1999: Arnold Koller
- 1999-2003: Ruth Metzler-Arnold
- 2004-2007: Christoph Blocher
- 2008-2010: Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf
- Since 2010: Simonetta Sommaruga
Notes and references