Federal Operator 99
|Federal Operator 99|
|Directed by||Spencer Gordon Bennet
|Produced by||Ronald Davidson|
|Written by||Albert DeMond
George J. Lewis
|Distributed by||Republic Pictures|
|12 chapters / 169 minutes (serial)
100 minutes (TV)
Crime Lord James 'Jim' Belmont escapes FBI custody and resumes his criminal empire, only to be thwarted at every turning point by Jerry Blake, the FBI's Operator 99...
- Marten Lamont as Jerry Blake, Federal Operator 99
- Helen Talbot as Joyce Kingston
- George J. Lewis as Jim Belmont, a sophisticated villain
- Lorna Gray as Rita Parker, Belmont's partner in crime
- Hal Taliaferro as Matt Farrell
- Bill Stevens as Agent Fred Martin
Cline writes that this was a "somewhat uncharacteristic" serial for Republic due to its sophisticated villains, Lewis the frustrated pianist and his "confidant" (Cline's quotes) played by Gray, and an "obviously cultured, polished hero."
- Dale Van Sickel as Jerry Blake (doubling Marten Lamont)
- Duke Green as Jim Belmont (doubling George J. Lewis)
- Tom Steele as Matt Farrell (doubling Hal Taliaferro)
- Fred Graham
- Ken Terrell
Special effects by the Lydecker brothers.
Federal Operator 99's official release date is 7 July 1945, although this is actually the date the sixth chapter was made available to film exchanges.
The serial was re-released on 8 October 1956 between the similar re-releases of King of the Rocket Men and Dangers of the Canadian Mounted. The last original Republic serial release was King of the Carnival in 1955.
Federal Operator 99 was one of twenty-six Republic serials re-released as a film on television in 1966. The title of the film was changed to FBI-99. This version was cut down to 100-minutes in length.
- The Case of the Crown Jewels (22min 8s)
- The Case of the Stolen Ransom (13min 20s)
- The Case of the Lawful Counterfeit (13min 20s)
- The Case of the Telephone Code (13min 20s)
- The Case of the Missing Expert (13min 20s)
- The Case of the Double Trap (13min 20s)
- The Case of the Golden Car (13min 20s)
- The Case of the Invulnerable Criminal (13min 20s) - a re-cap chapter
- The Case of the Torn Blueprint (13min 20s)
- The Case of the Hidden Witness (13min 20s)
- The Case of the Stradivarius (13min 20s)
- The Case of the Musical Clue (13min 20s)
- Mathis, Jack (1995). Valley of the Cliffhangers Supplement. Jack Mathis Advertising. pp. 3, 10, 84–85. ISBN 0-9632878-1-8.
- Cline, William C. (1984). "5. A Cheer for the Champions (The Heroes and Heroines)". In the Nick of Time. McFarland & Company, Inc. p. 95. ISBN 0-7864-0471-X.
- Cline, William C. (1984). "Filmography". In the Nick of Time. McFarland & Company, Inc. pp. 240–241. ISBN 0-7864-0471-X.
Manhunt of Mystery Island (1945)
Federal Operator 99 (1945)
The Purple Monster Strikes (1945)