Federal Service for Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring of Russia
The Federal Service for Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring of Russia (Roshydromet) (Russian: Федеральная служба по гидрометеорологии и мониторингу окружающей среды России (Росгидромет)) is a service in the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment which carries out the functions of state property management and provision of public services in the field of hydrometeorology and related areas, monitoring of environmental environment pollution, public oversight of the work on modification of meteorological and other geophysical processes. It is Subordinated to the Government of Russia.
- State oversight of the work on modification of meteorological and other geophysical processes on the territory of the Russian Federation;
- Licensing of certain activities within the competence of the Service in accordance with the laws of the Russian Federation;
- State records of surface water and maintenance of public water inventory in terms of surface water bodies;
- Maintenance of the Uniform State Fund data on the state of the environment and its pollution;
- The formation and maintenance of the state monitoring network, including the organization and the termination of fixed and mobile observation points and the determination of their location;
- State monitoring of ambient air;
Federal Service for Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring has 17 research institutes, two of them have the status of the State Research Centre (Hydrometeorological Centre of Russia and the Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute). The service operates six colleges (in the cities Aleksin, Vladivostok, Moscow, Irkutsk, Rostov, Tuapse) as well as a number of other supporting organizations.