Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media
The Federal Service for Supervision of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media (Russian: Федеральная служба по надзору в сфере массовых коммуникаций и связи) or Roskomnadzor (Russian: Роскомнадзор) is a federal executive body responsible for overseeing the media, including the electronic media, and mass communications, information technology and telecommunications; overseeing compliance with the law protecting the confidentiality of personal data being processed; and organising the work of the radio-frequency service.
This Federal Service for Supervision of Communications and Mass Media was re-established in May 2008. Resolution number 419, "On Federal Service for Supervision of Communications and Mass Media," was adopted on February 6, 2008.
In March 2007 the authority — then a subdivision of the Culture Ministry of Russia called Russian Federal Surveillance Service for Compliance with the Legislation in Mass Media and Cultural Heritage Protection (Rosokhrankultura) — warned the Kommersant newspaper that it shouldn't mention National Bolshevik Party on its pages, as the party had been denied official registration.
Roskomnadzor is a federal executive body responsible for control and supervision in the field of media, including electronic media and mass communications, information technology and communications functions control and supervision over the compliance of personal data processing requirements of the legislation of the Russian Federation in the field of personal data, and the role of coordinating the activities of radio frequency service. It's an authorized federal executive body for the protection of human subjects of personal data. It is also the body administering Russian Internet censorship filters.
On April 5, 2013, it was confirmed by a spokesperson for Roskomnadzor that Wikipedia had been blacklisted over the article 'Cannabis Smoking' on Russian Wikipedia. On March 31, 2013 the New York Times reported that Russia was beginning 'Selectively Blocking [the] Internet'. In 2014, during the Crimea Crisis, Roskomnadzor has blocked a number of websites criticising Russian policy in Ukraine, including blog of Alexei Navalny, Kasparov.ru and Grani.ru.
- translation, word by word : "Federal service by Supervision in sphere mass communications and connection"
- "Current structure of the Government of Russia" (in Russian). Government of Russia. Retrieved May 15, 2009.
- "УКАЗ Президента РФ от 12.05.2008 N 724 "Вопросы системы и структуры федеральных органов исполнительной власти"", p. 2
- Ъ - И звать их никак
- "Нас блокируют. Что делать?". Grani.ru. 2014.
- How Russians Are Outsmarting Internet Censorship - Global Voices Advocacy
- Federal Service for Monitoring Communications, Information Technology and Mass Communications
- Federal Service for Monitoring Compliance with Cultural Heritage Protection Law
|This Russia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|