Federal University of Technology Owerri
|Federal University of Technology Owerri|
|Motto||Technology For Service|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Cyril Chigozie Asiabaka|
|Location||Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria|
The Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO) is a federal government university in Owerri West Local Government area bounded by four communities of Eziobodo, Okolochi, Ihiagwa and Obinze, Imo State, Nigeria. It was one of the universities set up by the Federal Government in June 1980 for each geo political zones, in order to increase skills, innovation and technologically oriented manpower for the technology base of Nigerian national economy. The current Vice-chancellor is Professor Chigozie C. Asiabaka.
The university was founded in 1980. It later merged with Alvan Ikoku College of Education Owerri, absorbing the latter's students. The university is one of the premier technological universities in western Africa. Its student body comprises people from all over west Africa and beyond. It is the only federal university of technology in the South-East of Nigeria and one of the oldest in West Africa. The University is known for its technically strong graduates, evidenced by the large number its alumni currently in oil and gas companies in Nigeria. The largest percentage of engineers in most oil companies in Nigeria are FUTO alumni.
The university has 6 colleges which include the:
- School of Agriculture and Agricultural Technology (SAAT) from which the current Vice chancellor was Dean
- School of Engineering and Engineering Technology (SEET),
- School of Sciences (SOSC),
- School of Management and Management Technology (SMAT),
- School of Health (SOHT)
- School of Environmental Science and Technology (SOET).
Vice-chancellors of the University till date
- Prof. U.D. Gomwalk (1980–1986)
- Prof. Amah Nduka (1986–1991)
- Prof. O.G. Oba (1992–1999)
- Prof. Jude Njoku (2000–2005)
- Late Prof. C.E.O. Onwuliri (2006–2011)
- Prof. C.C. Asiabaka (2011-Date)
Nigerian Universities Ranking
At the beginning of 2011, the national university commission (NUC), the body responsible for universities in Nigeria ranked Federal Universities of Technology, Owerri, as the 48th best university in the country. But by May 2013, it was ranked as the 12th best university in the country.
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- Futo Gist
- The Infoscope FUTO
- Federal Universities in Nigeria
- National University Commission(NUC)
|This article on a Nigerian institution of higher education is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|