Federico Delpino c. late 1800s
|Born||December 27, 1833
Frederico Delpino (Giacomo Giuseppe Federico Delpino 27 December 1833 - 1905) was an Italian botanist who made very important observations on the pollination of flowers by insects. It was he who first recognized the important concept of the pollination syndrome.
Originally a student of mathematics at Genoa, in 1851 he undertook a botanical journey to Constantinople (now Istanbul) and Odessa. In 1871 he was appointed to the Forestry School at Vallombrosa, and in 1875 to the Professorship of Botany at Genoa and later to a Professorship at Naples.
He was one of the founders of modern floral biology along with Hermann Müller and corresponded with Charles Darwin from 1867 onwards. He pioneered the concept of pollination syndrome. In 1869 he criticised Darwin's theory of pangenesis, to which Darwin responded.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2013)|
- Delpino F (1867) Sugli apparecchi della fecondazione nelle piante antocarpee.
- Delpino F (1968) Ulteriori osservazioni sulla dicogamia nel regno vegetale.
- Delpino, F (1869) Sulla darwiniana teoria della pangenesi. Rivista Contemporanea LVI: 196-204 & LVII: 25-38.
- Delpino F (1874) Ulteriori osservazioni e considerazioni sulla dicogamia nel regno vegetale. 2 (IV). Delle piante zooifile. Atti. Soc. Ital. Sci. Nat. 16:151–349.
- M.C.F. Proctor, P. Yeo & A. Lack: The Natural History of Pollination 1996, ISBN 0-88192-352-4
- F. Delpino 1869. On the Darwinian theory of pangenesis. Scientific Opinion: A Weekly Record of Scientific Progress at Home & Abroad 2: 365-67, 391-93, 407-8 (Translated from Rivista contemporanea Nazionale Italiana. CP 2, pp.158-60)
- C.R. Darwin 1869. Pangenesis - Mr. Darwin's reply to Professor Delpino. Scientific Opinion: A Weekly Record of Scientific Progress at Home & Abroad, 2 (20 October): 426.
- "Author Query for 'Delpino'". International Plant Names Index.
- International Organization for Plant Information (IOPI). "Plant Name Search Results" (HTML). International Plant Names Index.
- Letter 5622 Delpino, Federico to Darwin, C. R., 5 Sept 1867
- Pangenesis - Mr. Darwin's reply to Professor Delpino