Federico Fernández (footballer)
Fernández playing for Argentina in 2012
|Full name||Federico Fernández|
|Date of birth||21 February 1989|
|Place of birth||Tres Algarrobos, Argentina|
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|2013||→ Getafe (loan)||14||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of June 04, 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Federico Fernández (Spanish pronunciation: [feðeˈɾiko ferˈnandes]; born 21 February 1989) is an Argentine footballer who plays as a central defender for Swansea City and the Argentina national football team.
Fernández made his league debut for Estudiantes on 14 September 2008 during the Apertura 2008 tournament in a 1–0 defeat to Vélez Sársfield. He played two games in Estudiantes' run to the final of Copa Sudamericana 2008.
Fernández scored his first goal with the squad in an away match against Lanús, on 2 May 2009, following an assist by teammate Juan Sebastián Verón. Later that year Estudiantes won Copa Libertadores 2009, although Fernández' only contributions were two substitute appearances against Defensor Sporting Club in the quarter finals.
On 2 November 2011, Fernández scored his first two goals for Napoli against Bayern Munich in a Champions League group stage away tie. Both headers came after Napoli had conceded 3 times in the first half. Napoli lost the match 3–2.
Fernández made his debut for the Argentina senior team against Ecuador in April 2011. He established himself as a regular in defence during Argentina's successful FIFA World Cup qualification campaign under Alejandro Sabella.
In June 2014, Fernández was named in Argentina's squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. He made his FIFA World Cup debut in Argentina's 2–1 defeat of Bosnia and Herzegovina at the Estádio do Maracanã, playing the full match in defence.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (August 2014)|
- "Todo esto es un sueño y un premio para mí". Diary Hoy (in Spanish). ca. 21 December 2010. Retrieved 27 December 2010.
- "Il Napoli gioca in difesa, ecco Fernandez". Sky Italia (in Italian). 26 December 2010. Retrieved 27 December 2010.
- "Bayern Munich 3-2 Napoli". The Guardian (London). 2 November 2011.
- "Espn Fc". Soccernet.espn.go.com. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- "World Cup runner-up Fernandez completes Swans switch". swanseacity.net. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Federico Fernandez". FIFA.
- "Demichelis in Argentina squad as trio miss out". FIFA. 2 June 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "Argentina 2-1 Bos-Herce". BBC. 16 June 2014. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Federico Fernández.|
- Argentine Primera statistics (Spanish)
- ESPN statistics
- Federico Fernández at National-Football-Teams.com