Feels Like Love (La Toya Jackson song)
|"Feels Like Love (La Toya Jackson Song)"|
|Single by La Toya Jackson|
|Released||July 21, 2014|
|La Toya Jackson singles chronology|
"Feels Like Love" is a 2014 song by American singer-songwriter La Toya Jackson.
"Feels Like Love" is an uptempo dance-pop number. The song is about the power of music and dance to lower one's inhibitions. In the song's chorus Jackson asserts that music "feels like love" and that it "takes my body and I lose control". The lyrics describe a night spent dancing because music "gets me high when I'm feeling low."
The song was produced by Brandon Howard, son of Jackson family friend and singer Miki Howard. Jackson recorded the song while she was planning her wedding to Phillips. In an interview she explained that it put wedge in their relationship. At first, Jackson didn't want to record the song, "I was so against doing this song." Jackson explained that after making changes, the record "turn[ed] out differently. And I like it very much." 
Michael K of Dlisted heralded Jackson's return to music, comparing her favorably to other pop stars like Madonna and Beyonce Knowles. The author proclaimed "that the true Empress of Pop has come back to reclaim her rightful throne!" K claimed that while the song would be lackluster in another artist's hands, Jackson's "artistic skills to turn it into a dance masterpiece."
Instinct also welcomed Jackson back to music, calling her a "diva." The magazine urged readers to "tell all those other pop divas to guard their wigs because La Toya Jackson has dropped her latest single."
Lucas Villa of AXS commended the "elegant dance track" for its "slinky synths." Noting that Jackson had "built her career" on dance music, Villa asserted that "Feels Like Love" was a "song fit for the return of a dance music icon."
The full music video for "Feels Like Love" was uploaded to streaming sites like YouTube and Vevo on July 26, 2014. The video made its television debut on Jackson's reality show Life With La Toya on the Oprah Winfrey Network on July 27, 2014.
The video was directed by Erik White on location at a Hollywood nightclub called TRU. The clip depicts Jackson performing a dance routine with four female backing dancers. During the dance number Jackson is shown wearing black outfits, gold jewelry, and shoes by Steve Madden. Other scenes show Jackson in a gold evening gown with an updo and at a table sharing a bottle of champagne with a male companion.
Jackson explained to SheKnows that she was nervous about shooting the video, because more than twenty years had passed since she last performed a dance routine in a music video, referring to 1988's "You're Gonna Get Rocked!" Jackson revealed that the video's choreographer insisted that she twerk, but Jackson refused, explaining "that's just not me, it's not my style." 
Villa called the video a "glowing comeback clip" and credited Jackson for being able to keep up with her back-up dancers with her "fierce hip swivels and armography."
- "La Toya Jackson – Feels Like Love". Discogs. Discogs. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- Kaye, Deirdre (July 11, 2014). "La Toya Jackson explains how "Feels Like Love" put a wedge in her relationship". SheKnows. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Wass, Mike (July 25, 2014). "La Toya Jackson Shows The Basics How It’s Done In Her Flawless "Feels Like Love" Video: Watch". Idolator. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- Ledbetter, Carly (2014-07-25). "La Toya Jackson Has A Brand New Music Video And It's Totally Worth Checking Out". Huffington Post. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- K, Michael (July 25, 2014). "Bye Bye, Beyonce: Detective La Toya Is Back!". Dlisted. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- Instinct Staff (July 27, 2014). "LaToya Jackson Returns w/ New Single/Music Video, "Feels Like Love"". Instinct. Retrieved 27 July 2014.
- "La Toya's Hot New Music Video: Feels Like Love July 26, 2014". The Palm Beach Post. July 26, 2014. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- Anderson, Tre’vell (July 28, 2014). "La Toya Jackson Releases Music Video For "Feels Like Love": WATCH". NewNowNext. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- Villa, Lucas (Jul 28, 2014). "La Toya Jackson hits the club in music video for 'Feels Like Love'". AXS. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "La Toya Jackson performs live "It Feels Like Love" in Weho at Rasputin Dec 2013". YouTube. Dec 26, 2013. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- Jackson, La Toya (26 Jul 2014). "We shot the video at TRU which use to be the old famous Hollywood club called the China Club. #LifeWithLaToya #FeelsLikeLove". Twitter. Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- Shalgos, Molly. "La Toya Jackson and twerking? "Absolutely not"". SheKnows. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- "La Toya Jackson luce como 'femme fatale' en nuevo video". Terra.com (in Spanish). Terra Networks. July 25, 2014. Retrieved 26 July 2014.