Felix von Niemeyer
He studied medicine at the University of Halle and in 1844 started work as a physician in Magdeburg. Later, he was a professor of internal medicine at the University of Greifswald (from 1855), and at the University of Tübingen (from 1860). During the Franco-Prussian War, he served as a medical consultant.
Niemeyer is largely remembered for his written works, in particular the Lehrbuch der speziellen Pathologie, a textbook that was published in eleven editions by 1884 and was translated into seven languages. He is also known for espousing a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that was in essence a modification of the popular "Banting diet", a regimen endorsed by William Banting (1796–1878), an English undertaker.
In 1848 he was co-founder of the Medizinische Gesellschaft zu Magdeburg (Medical Society of Magdeburg). In 1865 he became a consulting physician to King Charles I of Württemberg, and in 1870, he was elected a foreign member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.
Partial list of works
- Die asiatische Cholera, ein primär-örtliches Leiden der Darmschleimhaut, in: Die medicinische Reform. Eine Wochenschrift 1, Nr. 19, 1848, 134–138 (Asiatic cholera, a primary local disease of the intestinal mucosa).
- Die symptomatische Behandlung der Cholera mit besonderer Rücksicht auf die Bedeutung des Darmleidens, 1849 (Symptomatic treatment of cholera with special attention given to intestinal disease).
- Klinische Mittheilungen aus dem Städtischen Krankenhause zu Magdeburg, 1855 (Clinical communications from the municipal hospital of Magdeburg).
- Lehrbuch der speciellen Pathologie und Therapie mit besonderer Rücksicht auf Physiologie und pathologische Anatomie, 1858 (Textbook of special pathology and therapy with special reference given to pathological anatomy and physiology).
- This article incorporates text based on a translation of an equivalent article at the German Wikipedia.
-  Essay about William Banting's Diet
|This article about a German person in the field of medicine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|