|Executive Principal||Mr S Chamberlain|
|Headteacher||Mr A Salter|
|DfE URN||137321 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
The school was formed in September 2011 from the merger of Orwell High School and Deben High School. Formerly, the school operated from both of these school sites, before all pupils were later accommodated by the recently constructed new buildings at the former Orwell High School site, with the old Deben High School premise being closed. Felixstowe Academy's new buildings costed approximately £19 million, and were officially opened for teaching on Monday 28th April, 2014.
The school offers further education (FE) courses, primarily at A Level, but also several specialised vocational courses.
Orwell High School was a medium size secondary community school with Specialist Technology College status.
In 2006 the school was issued with a notice to improve. There was a subsequent inspection in 2007 in which the school was seen to be making "satisfactory progress" and therefore the notice to improve was revoked. In 2010 51% of Orwell candidates gained five GCSEs grade A* to C in English and Maths. In October 2009 OFSTED stated that the school was satisfactory, but Leadership and Management and the Capacity to Improve were both good.
The Executive Headteacher, Robert Cawley, started at the school in 2010, following a period of instability and leadership change. The previous Headteacher, Peter Tomkins resigned from his post in May 2010 having been suspended for sexual misconduct since February 2010. A statement from John Barker, the Chair of Governors, thanked Peter for his hard work and dedication.
In September 2011 the school was formally merged with Deben High School, to form Felixstowe Academy.
- Ofsted Report, 2006, 9 March 2006. Retrieved 5 May 2010
- Ofsted Report, 2007, 18 May 2007. Retrieved 5 May 2010
- a 26% rise on the previous year's results BBC Education Profile - Orwell High School 13 January 2010. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- Ofsted Report, 2009, 21 October 2009. Retrieved 5 May 2010
- Orwell High School Profile Suffolk County Council. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- Potter.T (2010) 'School scandal head quits amid relationship rumours' East Anglian Daily Times, 5 May 2010. Retrieved 5 May 2010.