|Origin||Kings Cliffe, Northamptonshire, England|
|Genres||Synthpop, indie pop, indietronica|
|Labels||Warner Bros. Records, B-Unique|
Fenech-Soler are an electropop band from Kings Cliffe, Northamptonshire, England, that formed in 2006 and consisting four members: Ross Duffy, Ben Duffy, Daniel Fenech-Soler and Andrew Lindsay. The name Fenech-Soler is taken from Daniel Soler's full surname, which is Maltese. The band's sound has been compared to Friendly Fires and Delphic for their "hybrid of summery indie and big dance-inflected melodies". Fenech-Soler are signed to Warner Records.
Fenech-Soler's self-titled debut studio album was released in 2010 and included three singles. The single "Stop and Stare" was named by BBC Radio 1 DJ Greg James as 'Record of the Week' and 'Weekend Anthem'. and Dutch public broadcaster NOS used "Demons" as an anthem for their 2010-11 UEFA Champions League broadcasts. Both "Lies" and "Demons" were playlisted by Radio 1. The band recorded a Radio 1 Live Lounge session for Jo Whiley in February 2011.
On 13 March 2011 it was announced that Ben Duffy had been diagnosed with testicular cancer and would have to undergo a course of chemotherapy. This caused the cancellation of the nine-date UK tour. The cancer was diagnosed in its early stages and two months later it was announced that the treatment was '100% successful' and Duffy was 'now in complete remission'. The band returned to a busy summer schedule of 23 festivals including Glastonbury and V Festival. Fenech-Soler donated all proceeds from their 18 April 2011 single "Stop and Stare" to the Teenage Cancer Trust.
The band released their second album, Rituals, on 30 September 2013. The release of the album was announced following the announcement of a UK tour, which coincided with the release of the single "Magnetic" in March. The album's second single, "Last Forever", was released early in September prior to the album.
In addition to their own work, they are also known for their remix work, including a remix of "Self Control" by Sunday Girl, "Kickstarts" by Example,"MY KZ, YR BF" by Everything Everything and "Hollywood" by Marina & The Diamonds
Fenech-Soler co-wrote and featured on the Groove Armada track "Paper Romance", taken from their latest album Black Light. Fenech-Soler have appeared on C4's EVO Rooms, NME Takeover and BBC Switch.
Awards and nominations
- 2010: Q Award nomination
- 2011: Nomination for The 10th Annual Independent Music Awards under the "Dance/Electronica" category for "Lies".
|2009||"The Cult Of Romance"||The Cult Of Romance|
|2010||"Stop and Stare"||Fenech-Soler|
|2012||"All I Know"||Rituals|
|"In Our Blood"|
- PlanetNotion: BOTW: Fenech-Soler – Interview
- "Manchesteracademy.net: Fenech Soler". Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- Cragg, Michael (10 May 2013). "The Guardian: Fenech-Soler - Magnetic: New Music". London. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- Peterborough Telegraph: Electric atmosphere at Fenech-Soler’s Peterborough show
- BBC - Fenech-Soler biography
- Fenech-Soler performing a cover of "Do It Like A Dude" on Radio 1 Live Lounge
- BBC: Fenech-Soler singer Ben Duffy says he's battling cancer
- NME: Fenech-Soler cancel UK tour as singer is diagnosed with cancer
- Northampton Chronicle: Fenech-Soler talk about a busy summer of festivals, battling cancer and album number two]
- Fenech-Soler website: Fenech-Soler support White Lies and Kelis
- Fenech-Soler website: Bristol and Manchester Robyn shows announced
- Digital Spy: Example confirms Fenech-Soler as UK Tour support
- "Fenech Soler Confirm November UK Tour Dates". StereoBoard.com. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- Artist Info: Fenech-Soler
- BBC Switch: 5:19 Show guests: Fenech-Soler
- Fenech Soler
- "Fenech-Soler". Independentmusicawards.com. Retrieved 2011-08-10.