Feni Girls Cadet College
|Feni Girls Cadet College
ফেণী গার্লস ক্যাডেট কলেজ
|Old Airport Road, Feni
|Motto||Noble Education Decent Life|
|Established||7 June 2006
|First principal||Mr Faizul Hasan|
|Area||49.5 acres (200,000 m2)|
Feni Girls Cadet College is a military high school for girls, located in Feni District, Bangladesh. Cadet colleges are autonomous residential institutions that impart an all round education to the young learners of the secondary and higher secondary level. The colleges are under the Ministry of Defence and function under the direct supervision of Adjutant General of Bangladesh Army.
- 1 History
- 2 Motto
- 3 Location
- 4 Houses
- 5 Administration
- 6 Infrastructure
- 7 Academic System
- 8 Faculty and Staff
- 9 College Events
- 9.1 College Stage Competition (CSC)
- 9.2 Hobbies Clubs/Societies
- 9.3 Games and Physical Activities
- 9.4 Other Competitions
- 9.5 Educational Visits, Excursions and Picnic
- 9.6 Commemoration of National days and Special Occasions
- 9.7 Parents visiting Day and Communication with Family
- 9.8 Recreation
- 9.9 Wall Magazine and Periodicals
- 9.10 Cultural Activities
- 9.11 Inter Cadet College and National Competitions
- 10 Mess
- 11 Medical facilities
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Mymensingh Girls Cadet College was established in 1984 and that was the only Girls cadet College in Bangladesh while other nine cadet colleges for boys. The necessity was felt to increase the number to ensure better opportunity of education for girls. The introduction of commissioning Lady Officers in Defense Services in 2002 added more impetus to the issue. Finally government decided to establish two Girls Cadet Colleges at Feni and Joypurhat. After a comprehensive reconnaissance a portion of an abandoned British Airfield (constructed in 1942 during World War II) was chosen as the site for Feni Girls Cadet College. The MES (Military Engineer Services) started the project work on 29 June 2004. Student (called cadet) selection procedure started in December 2005 and after a nationwide competitive examination best girls were selected for admission.
Initially only minimum essential Officers, Faculty Members and Staffs were posted from old colleges while the recruitment procedure was on. The college received the first batch of newly recruited employees on April 2006. The college opened on 15 April 2006 with 100 students (cadets)., fifty each from class VIII and VII. On 7 June 2006 the then Prime Minister Begum Khaleda Zia formally inaugurated the college through a grand ceremony. Ministers, Chief of three Service, Senior Military and Civil Officers, Elites, Staffs of the college and Cadets were present on the occasion. The college was started with only few essential installations while the project work was still in progress
Noble Education Decent Life
The college is located at the Old Airport Area just beside Feni town. The Feni-Chagolnaiya highway passes through the college dividing the campus in two parts. The main highway of Bangladesh, Dhaka-Chittagong inter-district highway passes through Feni. Buses usually take 3–4 hours to travel on 165 km highway from Dhaka and about 2.5 hours from Chittagong. Feni is also accessible by train.Map
|Khadiza House||Hazrat Khadijah||Faith Honesty Prosperity||candle||blue|
|Ayesha House||Hazrat Aisha||Intellect be advanced||Lekhoni (Pen)||Green|
|Fatima House||Hazrat Fatimah||Enlightened Life For ever||Sun||Red|
Cadet Colleges function under the Ministry of Defence. Defence Secretary is the Chairman of the Cadet College Governing Council while Adjutant General, Bangladesh Army is the Chairman of Cadet College Governing Body. Cadet College Section at the Adjutant General's Branch in Army Headquarters directly controls the Cadet Colleges.
A serving Military Officer of the rank of Lieutenant Colonel (some times from Air force/Navy of the equivalent rank) or a senior officer from the Cadet College Service (Promoted from the faculty members as per regulation) acts as Principal of the college. Vice Principal is responsible for the Academic affairs.
A Military Officer of the rank of Major is posted as Adjutant who is a staff of the Principal and is responsible for the administrative matters. A senior faculty member called House Master looks after the administration of the Cadet Hostel(House). All faculty members are attached to the Houses and are called House Tutors. Accounts Officer looks after the matters relating to accounts and budget.
To build up leadership qualities and maintain effective cadet administration a set of cadet leaders called Prefects is appointed from the cadets of the senior most class. The cadet administration works in close coordination and under the supervision of the college administration. The appointments are:
- College Prefect
- House Prefects
- College Games Prefect
- College Cultural Prefect
- College Dining Hall Prefect
- Assistant House Prefects
- House Games Prefects
- House Cultural Prefects
- Junior Prefects (from class XI, to assist the prefects)
The college is spread over an area of about 49.5 acres (200,000 m2). The buildings comprise an
- Academic Block: (Jahangir Bhaban named after Bir Sreshtho Captain Mohiuddin Jahangir) is a modern three storied building which is the hub of the academic curriculum. The building houses the class rooms, art gallery, computer lab, physics, chemistry and Biology labs, Language lab, departments, Vice Principal's Office and Staff Launge.
- House: Three boarding houses (Khadiza, Ayesha and Fatema House) are impressive buildings, capable of accommodating 100 cadets each. The house complex is well secured by boundary wall and 24 hours guards.
- Cadet Mess: (Bir Sreshtho Matiur Dining Hall named after Bir Sreshtho Flight Lieutenant Matiur Rahman).
- Auditorium: (Mostofa Auditrium, named after Bir Srestho Sepoy Mostafa Kamal) is a beautiful auditorium with modern stage and audio visual facilities. The two storied building can comfortably accommodate 650 spectators.
- College Hospital: (Bir Sreshtha Nur Muhammad Hospital named after Bir Sreshtho Lance Naik Nur Mohammad Sheikh)
- College Library:(Bir Sreshtho Rouf Library named after Bir Sreshtho Lance Naik Munshi Abdur Rouf)
- Administrative Building: The central office building is a two storied building. Principal's Office, Adjutant's Office, Admin Office, Account s Office and other offices are located here. The national and college flag fly in front of the building.
- Cadet Canteen: Cadets can purchase essential commodities and dry foods from the cadets canteen. Cadets are issued monthly coupons on payment. Cadets are not allowed to carry cash money.
- Sports fields, Basketball Courts and a Drill Ground.
- Residential accommodations The residencial area is located on southern side of Feni-Chagolnaiya road. College can provide accommodation to all the employees. There is also a two storied barrack to provide residencial faculty to the bachelors.
- Genarator Room and Electric Power Station
- Pump House
- Vehicle Shed
- Dhobi and Tailor Shop
- Dairy Farm
- General store and Ration Store
Cadets are enrolled in the seventh grade and study for six years. The Higher Secondary Certificate(HSC) is the final examination to pass. Every class generally has fifty cadets divided into two Sections (called forms) under the supervision of a Faculty Member (Form Master). Form Master is assisted by a Form Prefect selected from the cadets of the form.
The College holds internal examinations to assess the ability of the students and prepare them for the Board Examinations. Progress tests, Send Ups and Pre-Board Examinations is a regular feature of the College schedule in this regard.
The parents/guardians are regularly informed of their daughter’s/ward’s overall performance and attitude. Extra coaching classes are arranged for the weak students. However, a student showing consistent poor performance is withdrawn from the college.
The Secondary School Certificate(SSC) and the Higher Secondary Certificate(HSC) examinations are held under the control of the Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Board, Comilla. All the examination dates are mentioned in the academic calendar at the beginning of the academic year. A calendar year is usually divided into three terms. The medium of instruction is English. Special emphasis is given in Communicative English, Religious Studies, General Knowledge and Current Affairs.
The cadets of 1st Batch appeared the SSC examinations in 2009 where all 50 cadets achieved GPA-5 while 48 cadets achieved Golden GPA.
Summer: 8 am to 1 pm (Saturday through Wednesday) and 7-40 am to 11-20 am (Thursday)
Winter: 8-15 am to 1-15 pm (Saturday through Wednesday) and 7-55 am to 11-35 am (Thursday)
Cadets have to attend preparatory classes (prep class) at class room everyday (except Thursday). The routine of preparatory classes are as follows:
Summer: Afternoon Prep(3-15 pm to 4-15 pm), Evening Prep(6-45 pm to 8-15 pm), Night Prep(8-50 pm to 9-55 pm)
Winter: Evening Prep(6-15 pm to 7-55 pm), Night Prep(8-30 pm to 9-55 pm)
Faculty and Staff
The Vice Principal is the in charge of the Academic Section and the faculty. The faculty comprises two academic departments, Science and Humanities:
- Humanities: English, Bangla, Islamic Studies, Civics, Economics, Geography, History, Arts and Crafts and Home Economics.
- Science: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Statistics and Computer Sciences.
In addition, the senior most faculty member of each subject heads of department and supervises curriculum of the respective subjects. Physical training,drill and training of college band is supervised by the physical training,drill and band instructors from Army (Non Commissioned Officers,usually Corporal or Sergeant).
Being a residential institute, the cadets live on the campus 24 hours. The college can accommodate 300 cadets. The cadets are divided into three houses (or hostel) namely Khadiza, Ayesha and Fatima House.
The academic year of the College is marked by many different events and Inter-House Competitions. In these events, the Cadets participate with full zeal and enthusiasm. The events invoke confidence and sportsmanship in the cadets. All the events including Curricular, Co-Curricular and Extra-Curricular activities add up to the overall Championship Trophy of the year, which is greatly cherished and honoured. Each House puts in its best efforts, to be the Champion. Ayesha House became overall champion for the year 2006 , 2007 , 2008 , 2009 , 2010 and 2011. The notable events of the college are:
College Stage Competition (CSC)
- Qirat Competition
- Extempore Speech Competition(Bengali and English)
- Continuous Story Telling Competition
- Debate (Bengali and English)
- Solo Acting Competition (Bengali and English)
- Parliamentary Debate (English)
- Music Competition
- Dance Competition
- Current Affairs Display Competition
- Recitation (Bangla and English)
- General Knowledge and Quiz Competition
- Spelling Competition (Bangla and English)
- Painting Competition
- Quranic Society
- Physics Club
- Chemistry Club
- Biology Club
- Geography and Environment Club
- Arts and Crafts Club
- Current Affairs Club
- Bengali Literary and Cultural Society
- English Literary and Cultural Society
- Music and Dance Club
- First Aid Club
- Computer Club
- Sewing and Cooking Club
- Photography Club
Games and Physical Activities
Every working day (Saturday through Thursday) starts with a Physical Training or Drill (military parade) period of 30 mins. Cadets also take part in various games and sports in the afternoon (Saturday through Wednesday) for 50 mins. The college has a good playground with facilities for Handball, Volleyball, Badminton, Cricket and Athletics. Annual inter house competitions are organised in following games and sports:
- Handball (Senior and Junior Group)
- Badminton (Senior and Junior Group)
- Basket Ball (Senior and Junior Group)
- Athletics (Senior, Intermediate and Junior Group)
- PT Display (Combined)
The schedule of the competitions is circulated through calendar of events at the beginning of the year. The Annual Athletic Competition is the last competition of the year which is held after the final examination and ends with a grand annual prize-giving ceremony in which the parents/guardians are invited.
- Inter House Academic Competition (based on the academic performance of the cadets)
- Inter House Novices' Drill Competition
- Principal's Inspection Parade
- Health and Hygiene Competition
- Principal's House Inspection
- Inter House Drill Competition
- Inter House Indoor Games Competition
- Discipline Competition
Educational Visits, Excursions and Picnic
Educational visits and Excursions are arranged regularly. Cadets can learn through the visits.
Commemoration of National days and Special Occasions
National Days are observed with due honour and enthusiasm. Victory Day (16 December) and Independence Day (26 March) start with Flag Raising Ceremony early in the morning. International Mother Language Day (21 February) start with an early morning procession. Special cultural program and discussions are organised highlighting the significance of the day. Special Days like Shob i Barat, Eid I Miladun Nabi are observed with special prayer and milad mahfil. College Raising Day is also observed with due enthusiasm.
Parents visiting Day and Communication with Family
The students are permitted to receive visitors once a month on scheduled Fridays during the term. The visit dates are communicated to the parents at the beginning of the year.Cadets can also make phone call to their parents as per schedule. Letter writing is compolsary on every Friday.
Every House has a Recreation Room with provisions of TV, newspapers, periodicals and musical instruments. The House Indoor Games Room has the facilities of Table Tennis, Carrom, Chess and Scrabble. Cadets can also pass their time reading books in the House Library. On selected Thursdays movie shows are arranged
Wall Magazine and Periodicals
Bengali and English Wall Magazine are published regularly as part of inter house competition. Yearly Bengali and English periodicals named UTTARAN and INTREPID are also published where the cadets can express their mind on varied subjects.
Cadets are encouraged to participate in cultural activities to nourish
their intellectual properties. Every class present a cultural night where the Officers and Faculty Members are invited with family. Houses also present a cultural program at the end of each term. Music and dance training classes are organised for the interested cadets. Every potential of a novice cadet is discovered through a Talent Show program. Special occasions (Bengali New Year, Rabindra, Nazrul anniversary etc.) are celebrated through cultural shows and discussion.
Inter Cadet College and National Competitions
Feni Girls Cadet College participated in Inter cadet College Literary and Music Meet (ICCLMM)- 2006 at Pabna Cadet College within a month of its inauguration and took part in all the events. Cadet Afsana and Cadet Muslima became 2nd and 3rd in modern song and patriotic song respectively.
The college joined ICCLMM-2007 at Comilla Cadet College and displayed glorious performance in music events and reasonable performance in literature. The college achieved Runner Up Trophy in Music only with a difference of .5 point with Mymensingh Girls Cadet College and achieved 7th position in overall stand. Cadet Muslima came up with a superb performance to become Champion in country song and 2nd in nazrul song. Cadet Shamima achieved 2nd position in tagore song. Cadet Rahat Ara and Cadet Nasiba achieved 3rd position in Extempore Speech Competition in Bengali and English respectively.
In ICCLMM-2008 held at Sylhet Cadet College the college band became Runner Up. Cadet Muslima achieved 3rd position in Folk Song while Cadet Rahat Ara became 2nd in Classical Song.
The college became Runner Up in first ever Inter Girls' Cadet College Sports Meet (IGCCSM) held in 2009 at Joypurhat Girls Cadet College (JGCC).
Cadet Colleges have glorius history in national competitions like National TV Debate Competition (in Bengali),newly introduced National Parliamentary Debate(in English) in Bangladesh Television and Quiz Competitions at national level. Fenians are also working hard and preparing to match the sister colleges
The College Mess has a large spacious dining hall, which can accommodate 300 cadets at a time and has sufficient facilities required for cooking and service of food, stocking of dry and fresh provisions. The mess functions under the supervision of a member of the teaching staff (faculty member). Cadets are also associated with the management of the mess. The committee is presided over by the Vice Principal and includes Officer In charge Cadet Mess and cadet representatives. They make every effort to provide a balanced and nutritious / extra messing if required in special cases. Every fresh supply is checked and certified by the Medical Officer before being received by the committee (which includes cadet representative). The cadets have to take five times meal in the dining hall.
Cadets are not allowed to use bare hand for taking food, use of forks and spoon is mandatory. On various occasions formal dinner is arranged (e.g. farewell of an officer or faculty member,term end dinner or a dinner in honour of a special guest visiting the college) where the officers and faculty members are invited with spouses.
The routine meals of the cadets are:
- Breakfast with Tea( after morning Physical Training or Parade, at around 7 am)
- Snacks and Milk (at around 10 am, after 4th period)
- Lunch ( after academic hours, at around 1.15 pm)
- Afternoon Tea with snacks (before or after the Magrib prayers basing on Summer and winter timings)
- Dinner ( at around 8 pm, between evening and night preparation classes)
A reasonably well equipped 18-bed hospital functions at the campus. It is looked after by the College Medical Officer, a serving Major/Captain from Army Medical Corps assisted by other medical staffs. All minor ailments are treated here but for specialized and in case of serious injury or illness the patients are referred to Feni Sadar Hospital/CMH Comilla as and when required. To guard against epidemics, vaccinations and inoculations are carried out as and when required. The cadets are weighed, measured and medically checked up and a proper health record is maintained of all cadets.
The hospital also has an isolation ward for the segregation of patients suffering from infectious diseases.
In case a cadet needs an operation, all out efforts are made to inform the parents or guardians. However, if there is no time to inform them, such students are operated upon without any delay. The parents/guardians of cadets are required to submit a written permission for emergency, lifesaving surgery. In case of an emergency the authority rests with the Principal.
- BSS (2006-06-07). "Khaleda opens girls cadet college in Feni: Allocation for education in budget to be raised". The New Nation. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- Lawson, Alastair (31 December 2002). "Bangladeshi women fit to fight". BBC News. Retrieved 21 February 2008.
- Training Facilities for Lady Officers in Bangladesh Navy, www.bangladeshnavy.org, Accessed: 1 March 2008
- Responsibities of Ministry of Defence:responsibility no:11
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Feni Girls Cadet College.|