Fenner A. Chace, Jr.
Fenner Albert Chace, Jr. (October 5, 1908 – May 30, 2004) was an American carcinologist. He was born in Fall River, Massachusetts, and studied at Harvard University, before becoming a curator at that university's Museum of Comparative Zoology. In his own words, he "served as a civilian oceanographer and commissioned officer (first lieutenant to major) in the Army Air Corps (subsequently transferred to the Oceanographic Unit of the U.S. Navy Hydrographic Office in Suitland, Md" during the Second World War, and afterwards, he succeeded Waldo L. Schmitt at the United States National Museum. He worked at the National Museum until his retirement in 1978, and then he continued as Zoologist Emeritus. He was "one of the most influential carcinologists of the 20th century", and named 200 taxa in the Decapoda and Stomatopoda, most of them shrimp.
Taxa named by Fenner A. Chace include:
- Atyopsis Chace, 1983
- Eunephrops cadenasi Chace, 1939
- Palaemonetes cummingi Chace, 1954
- Physetocaris Chace, 1940
- Physetocaris microphthalma Chace, 1940
- Potamonautes choloensis (Chace, 1953)
- Potamonautes idjiwiensis (Chace, 1942)
- Potamonautes montivagus (Chace, 1953)
- Potamonautes mutandensis (Chace, 1942)
- Procarididae Chace & Manning, 1972
- Procaridoidea Chace & Manning, 1972
- Procaris Chace & Manning, 1972
- Procaris ascensionis Chace & Manning, 1972
- Psalidopus barbouri Chace, 1939
- Tetrasquilla Manning & Chace, 1990
- Typhlatya monae Chace, 1954
- Typhlatya rogersi Chace & Manning, 1972
Chace is commemorated in a number of names of taxa:
- Alpheus fenneri A. J. Bruce, 1994
- Archaeatya chacei Villalobos, 1960
- Chacella A. J. Bruce, 1986
- Chaceon fenneri (Manning & Holthuis, 1984)
- Chorocaris chacei (Williams & Rona, 1986)
- Crassispira chacei Hertlein & Strong, 1951
- Dicranodromia chacei Guinot, 1995
- Fennera chacei Holthuis, 1951
- Fenneralpheus chacei Felder & Manning, 1986
- Fenneropenaeus Perez Farfante, 1969
- Hymenopenaeus chacei Crosnier & Forest, 1969
- Ifanella chacei Vervoort, 1964
- Ischnochiton chaceorum P. Kaas & R. A. Van Belle, 1990
- Michelopagurus chacei McLaughlin, 1997
- Pasiphaea chacei Yaldwyn, 1962
- Plesionika chacei Crosnier, 1986
- Pylocheles chacei Forest, 1987
- Scyllarus chacei Holthuis, 1960
- Vetericaris chaceorum Kensley & Williams, 1986
- "Gallery of Carcinologists: Selected Biographical Sketches". Smithsonian Institution. Retrieved February 9, 2010.
- Rafael Lemaitre (2005). "Remarks on the life and works of Fenner A. Chace, Jr. (1908–2004), with a list of his taxa and complete bibliography" (PDF). Crustaceana 78 (5): 621–639.
- Hans G. Hansson. "Biographical Etymology of Marine Organism Names". Göteborgs Universitet. Retrieved February 9, 2010.
- Sammy De Grave & Charles Fransen (2010). "Barbouriidae". World Register of Marine Species. Retrieved November 21, 2011.
- Raymond B. Manning & C. W. Hart, Jr. (1984). "The status of the hippolytid shrimp genera Barbouria and Ligur (Crustacea: Decapoda): a reevaluation". Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington 97 (3): 655–665.