Fentimans is a botanical brewery based in Hexham, Northumberland, UK.
Thomas Fentiman, an iron puddler from West Yorkshire, acquired a recipe for botanically brewed ginger beer in 1905 when a fellow tradesman approached Fentiman for a loan but never repaid it. The firm became a door-to-door ginger beer sales company. During the mid-1960s the company ran into trouble, as supermarkets were taking over the door-to-door trade, and closed down. In 1988, Eldon Robson, great-grandson of Fentiman, started the business again, relaunching the brand.
The Pennsylvania-based Lion Brewery, Inc. brew and distribute Fentimans products in the United States. During 2009 there will be an investment of £190,000, for such things as converting its basement into a laboratory, for in-house product development.
The original building of Fentimans is a listed building in Gateshead, Tyne & Wear. The Fentimans logo, which is built into the building, is based on Fearless, Thomas Fentiman's prize German Shepherd Dog, twice winner of the Crufts Obedience Test.
Fentimans recently came under negative media coverage after the sale of its Victorian Lemonade was banned for minors in Houlton, Maine. The label on the beverage states that it contains less than 0.5% alcohol by volume, below the limit legislated for soft drinks in the United States of America. This is similar to the amount of alcohol in Sprite and equal to the amount in 7-Up. Despite a minor needing to consume 200 ounces (5.9 liters) of the beverage to equal the intoxication level of one beer, the beverage was still banned for sale to minors in the city.
- Curiosity Cola
- Cherrytree Cola
- Dandelion & Burdock
- Mandarin and Seville Orange Jigger
- Brewed Shandy
- Victorian Lemonade
- Rose Lemonade
- Ginger Ale
- Traditional Ginger Beer
- Tonic Water / Light Tonic Water
- "Our Unique Heritage". Fentimans. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Traditional firm has plenty of fizz". The Journal. 2009-01-13. Retrieved 2009-01-21.
- "Should Kids Drink Fentiman's Victorian Lemonade?". Slashfood. 2009-10-22. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Our Botanically Brewed Beverages". Fentimans. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Fentimans Handcrafted Mixers". Fentimans. Retrieved 2012-09-05.