Fernando Horácio Ávalos
|Full name||Fernando Horácio Ávalos|
|Date of birth||31 March 1978|
|Place of birth||Posadas, Argentina|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 1 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|Bravos do Maquis|
|2014–||Bravos do Maquis||3||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:00, 21 April 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
He spent most of his career in Portugal, amassing Primeira Liga totals of 187 games and three goals over the course of eight seasons, mainly in representation of Nacional (four years). He also had spells in five other countries, his own notwithstanding.
Born in Posadas, Misiones Province, Ávalos started his professional career with Club Atlético Nueva Chicago then moved, in his country, to Club Atlético Huracán and Club Social, Deportivo y Cultural Español. His first abroad experience arrived in 2000, with Brazil's Sport Club Corinthians Paulista.
After splitting the 2000–01 season with Corinthians and FC Basel, Ávalos found stability in Portugal's top division, playing two years with Boavista F.C. and four and a half at Madeira's C.D. Nacional. He appeared in two UEFA Cup editions with the latter.
In January 2008 Ávalos moved to Germany with MSV Duisburg, not being able to help his new team prevent relegation from the Bundesliga. Released in December he returned to Portugal to sign with C.F. Os Belenenses, where he met the same fate; at the end of the campaign he moved to Cyprus, with Nea Salamis Famagusta FC.
Aged 32, Ávalos returned to Portugal and the Madeira island, signing with lowly Associação Desportiva da Camacha. For 2011–12 he stayed in the region, joining second level's C.F. União and being a defensive stalwart for several years.
- "Fernando Ávalos e Saul reforçam defensiva axadrezada" [Fernando Ávalos and Saul bolster checkereds' defense] (in Portuguese). Record. 22 December 2001. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Ávalos ruma ao Duisburgo" [Ávalos heads for Duisburg] (in Portuguese). Record. 30 January 2008. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Nürnberg ergreift den Strohhalm" [Nürnberg clutching for straws] (in German). kicker. 7 May 2008. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Ávalos apresentado às 18 horas" [Ávalos presented at 18 hours] (in Portuguese). Record. 21 January 2009. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Ερυθρόλευκος ο Fernando Horácio Ávalos" [The reds get Fernando Horácio Ávalos] (in Greek). Nea Salamis. 13 July 2009. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Veteranos Bruno e Ávalos reforçam União da Madeira" [Veterans Bruno and Ávalos strengthen União da Madeira] (in Portuguese). Diário de Notícias. 29 June 2011. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Ávalos vai reforçar o clube angolano Bravos do Maquis" [Ávalos to strengthen Angolan club Bravos do Maquis] (in Portuguese). Jornal da Madeira. 8 January 2014. Retrieved 29 January 2014.