|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2009)|
October 12, 1923|
|Died||October 11, 2004
Rio de Janeiro
|Genre||Novels; Short stories|
Fernando Tavares Sabino (October 12, 1923 – October 11, 2004) was a Brazilian writer and journalist.
Sabino was the author of 50 books, as well as many short stories and essays. His first book was published in 1941, when he was just 18 years old. Sabino vaulted to national and international fame in 1956 with the novel A Time to Meet, the tale of three friends in the inland city of Belo Horizonte. The book was inspired by Sabino's life history.
Sabino also enjoyed commercial success with The Great Insane and The Naked Man, which were made into films.
Sabino considered friendship to be one of the most important things in life. His circle of friends included Hélio Pellegrino, Otto Lara Resende, Paulo Mendes Campos, Rubem Braga, Clarice Lispector, Vinicius de Moraes, Carlos Drummond de Andrade, Mário de Andrade, and Manuel Bandeira.
In the last ten years of his life, Sabino was distant from the media. Many of his close friends died before him. Two years before his death, Sabino was diagnosed with cancer. Following a prolonged illness, he died one day before his 81st birthday in his Rio de Janeiro home.
- "The Soul of Music," "Tit for Tat," "The Girl from Ipanema," and "I'm All Ears"
- "Sexual Inhibitions," "Prescriptions for Curing Passions," and "The Birthday Cake"
- "The Art of Saying No," The Brazilians
- O Grande Mentecapto
- A Time to Meet
- The Naked Man
- "O Menino No Espelho"
"No fim, tudo dá certo. Se não deu, ainda não chegou ao fim." Fernando Sabino Translation: "In the end, everything will be ok. If it's not ok, it's not yet the end." Fernando Sabino
Better translation: "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay then it's not the end."
Filmography - Writer
- Crônica da Cidade Amada (1964) (story) (segment Iniciada a Peleja)
- Homem Nu, O (1968 and 1997) (screenplay) (story)
... aka The Naked Man (International: English title)
- Faca de Dois Gumes (1989) (book)
... aka Two Edged Knife (USA)
- Grande Mentecapto, O (1989) (novel)
- "Fernando Sabino". Projeto Releituras Arnaldo Nogueira Jr. Retrieved 23 April 2013.