Ferrara Candy Company
|Founded||1908 in Chicago, Illinois, US|
|Founder||Salvatore Ferrara, Salvatore Buffardi and Anello Pagano|
|Headquarters||One Tower Ln, ste 2700
Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois, US
|Brands||Brach's • Lemonhead (candy) • Chuckles • Now and Later • Bobs Candies • Trolli USA • Black Forest • Sathers • Red Hots • Atomic Fireball • Super Bubble • Rainblo • Jujyfruit • Jawbuster • Fruit Stripe • Boston Baked Beans •|
The Ferrara Candy Company (formerly Ferrara Pan Candy Company) is a candy company that makes a variety of candies. Their confections include Lemonheads, Brach's, Jaw Busters ("The Original Jaw Breakers"), Atomic Fireballs, Chuckles,Original Boston Baked Beans, Chewy Lemon Heads & Friends, Tropical Chewy Lemon Heads & Friends and Red Hots.
Ferrara Pan Candy Company was founded in Chicago, Illinois in 1908 by Salvatore Ferrara who migrated from Italy to the United States in 1900. Salvatore Ferrara was skilled in making Italian pastries and sugar coated candy almonds known as "confetti".
From 1904 till 1908 Salvatore Ferrara worked for the Santa Fe Railroad. In 1908 he moved to Chicago and opened a retail pastry store. The demand for his Confetti almonds grew so much that in 1919 the company expanded. Salvatore Ferrara formed a partnership with Salvatore Buffardi and Anello Pagano to manufacture a wide variety of confections. The original Ferrara Bakery is still located in the same spot where the business was first formed in 1919.
The term "pan" in the former name of the company comes from the process they use to make some of the candy called "panning". Panning is a process where candy is created by started with one center piece, like a piece of sugar, a nut, or candy center and rolling it around in revolving pans while adding the flavor, color, and other candy ingredients. Afterwards the candy is polished to give it a shine. This is the way many of the products are still made today.
- 1860s Henry Heide Candy Company begins business
- 1890s Farley Candy Company established
- 1904 Brach's Candies begins production in the backroom of a Chicago store. Brock's Candy of Chattanooga begins production of penny candies, peanut brittle and jelly candies.
- 1908 Ferrara Pan Candy is formed
- 1919 Bobs Candies is formed
- 1930s Sathers Candy Company begins operations
- 1980s Trolli Gummis begins production in the U.S.
- 1994 Brach's Candy purchases a controlling interest in Brock's Candy of Chattanooga
- 1995 Favorite Brands International created with purchase of Kraft Caramel, Marshmallow, Dinner Mints and Peanut Brittle businesses. Henry Heide, Inc is sold to Hershey Foods.
- 1996 Favorite Brands International acquires Farley Foods, Sathers Candy and Kidd Marshmallow businesses
- 1997 Favorite Brands International acquires Dae Julie and the Trolli Gummi businesses
- 2002 Catterton Partners form Farleys & Sathers Candy Company made up of assets from the former Farley Foods, Sathers Candy Company, and the Kraft Taffy business from Kraft; Chuckles and several other Henry Heide brands purchased from Hershey Foods.
- 2005 Farley & Sathers acquires the Trolli Gummi business, which had been part of the Favorite Brands group of products, from Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company, which had acquired it as part of a larger group of businesses from Kraft. Bob's Candies is acquired.
- 2007 Farley & Sathers acquires Brach's Candy
- 2012 Ferrara Pan Candy Company and Farley & Sathers merge and rename the new entity Ferrara Candy
Lemonhead (candy) • Introduced in 1962, produced by the Ferrara Candy Company. Lemonheads are a round, lemon-flavored candy consisting of a sweet coating, soft sour shell, and a hard candy core. Other varieties include Appleheads, Grapeheads and Chewy Lemonheads & Friends varieties.
Chuckles • A soft jelly candy, covered in sugar and known for its original 5 colors (Red, Orange, Yellow,Green and Black). They are now made in a number of varieties including Mini’s, Red’s and seasonal varieties.
Now and Later • Bite sized sharable squares of taffy in nineteen different fruit flavors. They come in Original, Chewy and Splits varieties and are packaged in both multi pieced bars and assorted jars.
Bobs Candies • Soft Mints and Sticks, Candy Canes and Mint "Lumps"
Trolli (USA) • Weirdly awesome flavors, weirdly awesome shapes, weirdly awesome fun. Gummy candies that are both sour and sweet as well as delicious and demented.
Black Forest • Real fruit juice snacks and treats in fun shapes; Gummy Bears, Gummy Worms and other varieties.
Red Hots • a small cinnamon-flavored candy created and trademarked by the Ferrara Pan Candy Company in the 1930s
Atomic Fireball • a round, cinnamon-flavored hard candy invented by Nello Ferrara (1918–2012) in 1954. They are a form of jawbreaker. The outer layers of the candy are a bright red color while the interior layers are white.
Rainblo • The first gumballs made where the color on the outside matched the flavor on the inside. Available in regular Rain-blo and Jum-blo size.
Jujyfruit • Small, chewy, fruit flavored candies that come in fun fruit shapes & flavors like pineapple, raspberry, grape, banana and other citrus shapes. Also available are Jujubes which are a firmer candy dating back to 1920 in the traditional flavors of lemon, lime, violet, cherry and lilac.
Jawbuster • The original jawbreaker since 1919. They are created starting with a single grain of sugar and panned until they reach the full size. As they dissolve, they change color and flavor with each of the five layers.
Fruit Stripe • A chewing gum created in the 60’s loved for its juicy fruit flavor and scent. The package is known for the bright stripes and images of Yipes, the Zebra who has been the mascot of the gum for many decades.
Boston Baked Beans • a sugar-coated peanut candy.
Super Bubble • The original individually-wrapped bubble gum first introduced to the world in 1946 and still popular in classic original, grape, apple and watermelon flavors.
Sathers • (Farley & Sathers)