Ferrovie della Sardegna
|Type||Limited liability company|
|Products||Rail transport, Road transport|
|Website||Corporate web site (in Italian)
Tickets - Timetable
The Ferrovie della Sardegna (Railways of Sardinia), know also as ARST Gestione FdS and with the acronym FdS, was the regional railway network, in the island of Sardinia, Italy. In 2010 it was totally integrated with the main regional public transport company, the ARST (Azienda Regionale Sarda Trasporti).
It is the second railway operator in Sardinia, after Ferrovie dello Stato, having 203 kilometers of railways used for public transport, plus another four tourist lines, known as Trenino Verde, which run through the wildest parts of the island.
The company was founded in 1989. It is a narrow gauge railway system, using diesel locomotives and multiple units, electrified tram-trains in the metropolitan areas of Sassari and Cagliari and vintage diesel and steam locomotives on the tourist lines.
Today works are in progress to modernise several lines with the electrification of routes around the metropolitan areas of Sassari and Cagliari, new 6 diesel multiple units, built from Firema and Keller Electromechanics and panorama car trains on the tourist lines.
Public Transport Lines
- Line Macomer-Tirso-Nuoro
- Line Sassari-Nulvi
- Line Sassari-Sorso (work is in progress converting the line to a light rail transit)
- Line Sassari-Alghero (planned conversion to light rail transit)
- Line Monserrato-Isili
- Metro-tramway of Sassari
- Metro-tramway of Cagliari
Tourist Lines (Trenino Verde)
- Line Macomer-Bosa
- Line Nulvi-Tempio Pausania-Luras-Palau
- Line Mandas-Gairo-Arbatax
- Line Mandas-Isili-Sorgono
- Line Siliqua-San Giovanni Suergiu-Calasetta (Ferrovie Meridionali Sarde)
- Line Iglesias-Monteponi-San Giovanni Suergiu (Ferrovie Meridionali Sarde)
- Line Gairo-Jerzu
- Line Isili-Villamar-Villacidro
- Line Villamar-Ales
- Line Tirso-Ozieri
- Line Luras-Monti