One of the latest cars, dating from 2011
|Line length||191 metres (627 ft)|
|Track gauge||1040 mm|
The Festungsbahn is a funicular railway providing public access to the Hohensalzburg Castle at Salzburg in Austria. It links the castle with Festungsgasse, under the north side of the castle walls. The Festungsbahn opened in 1892, and should not be confused with the much older Reisszug funicular that provides goods access to the castle.
The Festungsbahn opened in 1892 as a water balance funicular operated by the Salzburger Eisenbahn- und Tramwaygesellschaft. Previously used as barracks, the line made the castle available to a broader range of visitors.
The line was rebuilt with new cars and an electric drive in 1960, whilst the lower and upper stations were rebuilt in 1975 and 1976 respectively. In 1991 the line was again modernised, with the provision of new cars with an increased passenger capacity and a faster line speed.
Between January and April of 2011, the funicular was again modernized, at a cost of €4 million. Two new vehicles were provided and the electrical equipment replaced. Panoramic windows offer a better view of the city.
The line's operates every day from 09:00. The time of the last car varies from 17:00 to 22:00 depending on the time of year.
|Configuration||Single track with passing loop|
|Length||191 metres (627 ft)|
|Height||99 metres (325 ft)|
|Stations: 2||Dom (
Festung ( , upper)
|Capacity||55 passengers per car|
|Gauge||1.04 metres (3 ft 5 in)|
|Maximum speed||5.5 metres per second (18 ft/s)|
|Journey time||1 minute|
- "Der Reiszug - Part 1 - Presentation". Funimag. Retrieved April 22, 2009.
- "Festungsbahn". Funiculars.net. Retrieved April 23, 2009.
- "Festungsbahn" (in German). Salzburg AG. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- "Geschichte und Technik" [History and Technology] (in German). Salzburg AG. Archived from the original on February 22, 2012. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- "Festungsbahn - Unternehmen" [Festungsbahn - Business] (in German). Salzburg AG. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- "Festungsbahn - Fahrplan & Tarife" [Festungsbahn - Timetable & Fares] (in German). Salzburg AG. Retrieved July 12, 2013.
- Media related to Festungsbahn at Wikimedia Commons
- Page on the Festungsbahn from the Salzburg AG's web site (in German)
- Article on the Festungsbahn from Funimag