Field & Stream
Field & Stream, July 1939
|Based in||New York City|
Field & Stream (F&S for short) is a magazine featuring hunting, fishing, and other outdoor activities in the United States. Together with Sports Afield and Outdoor Life, it is considered one of the Big Three of American outdoor publishing.
Founded in 1895 by John P. Burkhard and Henry Wellington Wack, the magazine has a readership of approximately 1 million. Depending on the season and the availability of information, the magazine may offer advice on deer, bass, birds, trout, shotguns and rifles. The magazine absorbed its chief competitor, Forest and Stream, in 1930.
The magazine also offers tricks, survival tips, miscellaneous facts and sometimes a recipe. In addition to those departments, each issue contains a few featured articles. Field & Stream once worked with Sierra On-Line and Dynamix to create hunting and fishing video games, the Trophy Bass and the Trophy Hunting series.
Henry Holt and Company purchased the magazine in 1951. Holt eventually ended up being owned by CBS, who sold their magazines in a leveraged buyout led by division head Peter Diamandis. It was sold by Diamandis to the Times-Mirror Company, which sold their magazines to Time Inc. in 2001. It was one of 18 magazines sold to Bonnier Group in February 2007. While Field & Stream magazine belongs to Bonnier, the right to use the Field & Stream name on goods and services belongs to a private investment group unrelated to Bonnier and the magazine, while Dick's Sporting Goods owns the rights to the name for retail stores.
Field & Stream Shop
On August 16, 2013, Dick's Sporting Goods opened its first Field & Stream Shop in Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania, at the site of the former Dick's location in Cranberry (Dick's had moved to a newer location nearby in Cranberry Township in 2012), operating as a competitor to Cabela's. Willie Robertson of the reality television series Duck Dynasty made a speaking appearance at a wedding at the store, with both participants dressed in camouflage, as well as retired WWE wrestler Shawn Michaels (currently hosting MacMillan River Adventures on the Outdoor Channel) appearing at the store to sign autographs for the grand opening. Later in the month, the store began selling AR-15 semi-automatic rifles, ending the chain's 2012 self-imposed suspension of sales of certain semi-automatic firearms following the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
Dick's has plans to open at least three more such stores in Erie, Pennsylvania (on the site of a proposed Cabela's store that Dick's had purchased before Cabela's had a chance to buy it), Altoona, Pennsylvania, and Crescent Springs, Kentucky. On October 10, 2014, a newly constructed Field & Stream Shop opened in Miamisburg, Ohio. The latter store opened its doors on October 8, 2014, although the official opening was not until October 10, 2014.
Austin Lynn, President of the Hookies Fire Company in Tyrone was accused of stealing two chicken fryers from the Field & Stream in Altoona. He paid with a check at Field and Stream and thought it was a done deal, but police say an employee at the store did not keep a proper record of the purchase. The Allegheny Township Police Chief apologized for the incident, however as of 4/1/2015 Field & Stream has not apologized.
- Outdoor Life, Field & Stream's sister magazine
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Alliance for Audited Media. December 31, 2012. Retrieved June 21, 2013.
- "The Press: Forest, Field & Stream". TIME.com. 16 June 1930.
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/business/news/field-stream-store-gears-up-for-grand-opening-699222/. Missing or empty
- http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/duck-dynasty-star-pops-by-for-western-pa-couples-camouflage-wedding/2013/08/17/f3fc46d4-077b-11e3-bfc5-406b928603b2_story.html. Missing or empty
- > "WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels 'like kid in a candy store' at new Field & Stream". WTAE. 11 June 2014.
- O'Connor, Clare (2013-08-20). "Despite Self-Imposed Ban, Dick's Sporting Goods Selling AR-15 Rifles At New Offshoot". Forbes. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "Sporting goods chain suspends sale of certain semi-automatic after shooting". CNN. 2012-12-18.
- Field & Stream (29 September 2014). "Field & Stream Specialty Store to Open October 10th in Miamisburg, OH". prnewswire.com.