Fifty Shades of Oy Vey: A Parody
|Author||E. L. Jamesbergstein|
|Subject||Jewish wit and humor|
|Media type||Print / On-line|
Fifty Shades of Oy Vey: A Parody by E.L. Jamesbergstein is a parody of E.L. James' Fifty Shades of Grey. It was published in print and e-book editions by Alfred A. Knish in 2013. Described on its book jacket as "So erotic, you'll plotz," the comic novel, which follows the outline of the original Fifty Shades of Grey, tells the story of the relationship between a beautiful young woman, Anatevka Stein, and a portly bagel tycoon, Chaim Silver.
When Baruch college senior Anatevka Stein goes to interview Chaim Silver for the Hillel Newsletter, she encounters a brilliant, lecherous owner of a bagel making plant. Successful, overweight and reeking of herring, he still lives with his mother. Anatevka finds herself irresistibly drawn to all of these qualities. In a series of encounters, Chaim introduces Anatevka to increasingly unusual sexual techniques, often involving Jewish food and Jewish holidays. He also asks her to sign a Kinky Ketubah spelling out their respective sexual obligations. At times, he serenades her with melancholy music on his accordion. As the love story progresses, it gradually reveals the reasons for Chaim Silver's inner sadness and neurotic behavior.
Journalists and reviewers in the U.S., Canada and overseas have mentioned the spoof of the Fifty Shades books in a generally positive way. Fifty Shades of Oy Vey: A Parody was also cited and its cover used on the WCBS website's coverage of Fifty Shades of Grey and its parodies.
- Tablet Magazine,"Mystery book fairy, we thank you." on Twitter
- Edwards, Peter (December 17, 2013). "Business students steam up spreadsheets with ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ treatment". The Star (Toronto).
- Loewenthal, Elena (October 7, 2013). "Cinquanta sfumature di eros in salsa yiddish" [Fifty Shades of Eros in a Sauce of Yiddish]. La Stampa (in Italian) (Italy).
- "18 things you don't know about Fifty Shades of Grey: The Parody Books Keep Coming". CBS News. February 17, 2015.
-  Fifty Shades of Oy Vey on Amazon
-  Fifty Shades of Oy Vey on Tumblr
-  Fifty Shades of Oy Vey on Twitter