Fight Network logo
|Launched||September 22, 2005|
|Owned by||Anthem Media Group|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Slogan||Watch. Join. Live.|
|Broadcast area||Canada (National), Portugal (ZON), Belgium (Telenet), (Angola (ZAP), Mozambique (ZAP), Turkey (D-Smart), Middle East/North Africa (OSN)|
|Sister channel(s)||FNTSY Sports Network|
|Bell TV||Channel 390 (SD)|
|Shaw Direct||Channel 404 (SD)|
|D-Smart (Turkey)||Channel 87 (HD)|
|Available on many Canadian cable systems||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|Grande Communications||Channel 240|
|Armstrong_Group_of_Companies||Channel 239 (HD)|
|Bell Aliant TV||Channel 116 (SD)|
|Bell Fibe||Channel 423 (SD)
Channel 1423 (HD)
|MTS||Channel 170 (SD)
Channel 1170 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 9945 (SD)
Channel 945 (HD)
|SaskTel||Channel 163 (SD)
Channel 463 (HD)
Fight Network is a Canadian English-language Category B specialty channel devoted to airing programming related to mixed martial arts, boxing, kickboxing, wrestling and other combatant styles. Along with live fighting events, Fight Network airs fight-themed movies, documentaries, television series, news and fitness-related shows. Fight Network also offers online streaming in the U.S. on NeuLion. Fight Network is owned by Anthem Media Group Inc.
Fight Network, founded by Mike R. Garrow, gained approval for operation from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) in January 2004. The channel was granted approval under the name TFN - The Fight Network, however, it was launched on September 22, 2005 as the Fight Network, commonly abbreviated as TFN. BlackOut Communications originally owned TFN; however, As of 2011[update] after several organizational restructurings, Fight Media Inc. owns and operates Fight Network.
On December 11, 2010, Fight Network announced Canadian business entrepreneur and former Canwest CEO Leonard Asper as the new Chief Executive Officer after he secured a significant ownership stake in the company.
In April 2011, the channel rebranded itself by introducing a new logo, a new on-air identity, and a name change, dropping the word "The" from its title and renaming itself "Fight Network".
Fight Network broadcasts across Canada via numerous cable and satellite providers, including Rogers, Shaw, Vidéotron and Sasktel. In November 2012, Fight Network announced an expansion into the U.S. market, launching subscription services for live online streaming of the channel on NeuLion.
In August 2012, Fight Network relaunched its website FightNetwork.com with Grand Creative. In addition to providing programming information, Fight Network's website features news, videos, podcasts and fantasy games. Fight Network is also active on major social media platforms, including YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo and Pinterest.
In 2009 FN teamed up with Mobile Fringe to launch an iPhone application. In September 2012, Fight Network announced a partnership with Polar Mobile to launch new applications across numerous platforms, including iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows and Blackberry.
In February 2013, Fight Media launched a high definition simulcast of their standard definition feed on cable called Fight Network HD.
FN's first international agreement was with American IPTV provider, Backspace. FN launched on their system in the United States in 2007; however, after several months, Backspace removed FN from its systems.
In keeping with its plans to expand internationally, FN opened a South American office in Ecuador to continue its planned global expansion in that region. However, as of April 2011, FN has not commenced operations in South America. In 2008, FN purchased TWC Fight! based in the U.K. and subsequently renamed the network "The Fight Network UK". The U.K.-based network was shut down on December 1, 2008.
In November 2012, Fight Network expanded into the U.S. market, launching subscription services for live online streaming of the channel on NeuLion.
On January 11, 2013, Fight Network's parent company Anthem Media Group Inc. announced a significant equity investment in Pursuit Channel, the largest U.S. outdoor television network focused primarily in the hunting and fishing space. The investment included the purchase of shares from shareholders, as well as from the Treasury, resulting in a cash injection into the company. In February 2013, Fight Network announced a two-hour dedicated programming block Monday nights on Pursuit Channel, available in 38 million homes.
On August 13, 2013, Fight Network announced its agreement to launch in Belgium on Telenet, making it the fifth new territory to launch the channel in 2013.
News and Original
Fight Network produces several weekly news shows, including:
- Fight News Now - Weekly 30-minute news show discussing current events, newsmakers and previewing fights. Daily segments air during Fight News Now Extra. Full program premieres Wednesdays at 7 p.m. ET.
- 5 Rounds - Weekly 30-minute talk show featuring comprehensive mixed martial arts analysis and breakdowns with special guests. Premieres Mondays at 7 p.m. ET.
- Toe 2 Toe - Weekly 30-minute interview program featuring sitdowns with combat sports stars and personalities, hosted by John Ramdeen. Premieres Fridays at 8 p.m. ET.
- MMA Meltdown with Morency - Weekly mixed martial arts news show, hosted by Gabriel Morency. Premieres Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET.
FN airs UFC Countdown and UFC Primetime shows leading up to all major pay-per-view events.
Mixed Martial Arts
Fight Network's live mixed martial arts programming includes:
- World Series of Fighting - a Las Vegas-based organization founded by Ray Sefo. Also airs on NBC Sports Network in the U.S. Features Andrei Arlovski, Anthony Johnson and Miguel Torres.
- ONE Fighting Championship - a Singapore-based promotion widely recognized as the biggest promotion in Asia. Features Tatsuya Kawajiri, Phil Baroni and Renato Sobral.
- DREAM - a Japanese league promoted by former PRIDE FC executives. Features Shinya Aoki, Bibiano Fernandes and Kazushi Sakuraba.
- Cage Warriors Fighting Championship - a London-based organization founded in 2001. Features Conor McGregor, Jesse Taylor and Leonardo Santos.
- BAMMA - a U.K.-based promotion founded in 2009. Features Jack Marshman, Andre Winner and Tom Watson.
- M-1 Global - a promotion based in the Netherlands partially owned by Fedor Emelianenko. FN aired Emelianenko's last professional bout on June 21, 2012.
- Cage Contender - European-based mixed martial arts organization featuring the likes of Paul Daley, Gunnar Nelson and Dean Lister.
- BRACE - Australia's Mixed Martial Arts Event Series. Since 2009, 30 events across 8 Australian Cities, in 4 different States.
Other international MMA promotions aired on FN include M-1 Challenge from Russia and the Netherlands, Ultimate Challenge MMA from the U.K., Extreme Fighting Championship Africa, Super Fight League from India, as well as DEEP, Pancrase and female league Jewels from Japan. Fight Network's "Fighting Spirit MMA" series features compilations from numerous global mixed martial arts organizations, including Cage Warriors, BAMMA, ONE FC, BRACE, KSW, Combato Extreme, Final Fight Championship, WFC, Super Fight League and EFC Africa.
Other North American MMA promotions aired on FN include leading Canadian MMA promotion Maximum Fighting Championship, all-female promotion Invicta Fighting Championships, Florida-based Xtreme Fighting Championships, Texas Fight Night from the Lone Star State, Jimmy Burchfield's CES MMA, as well as Canadian organizations Instinct MMA, Ringside MMA, SLAMM: Tristar Fights, Battlefield Fight League, Hard Knocks Fighting Championship, Aggression Fighting Championship and Rumble in the Cage.
FN airs several "Best Of" shows, including Best of TKO Major League MMA, Best of Cage Rage, Best of SportFight, Best of XFO and Best of Gladiator Challenge. They profile classic fights and fighters from international and regional mixed martial arts organizations, featuring the likes of Georges St-Pierre and Anderson Silva.
FN's "From The Vault" archive includes fights from International Vale Tudo Championship and MECA in Brazil, Maximum Fighting Championship in Canada, as well as King of the Cage, BodogFight, Rumble on the Rock, Ring of Fire and Tuff-N-Uff.
Fight Network's live boxing programming includes:
- Golden Boy Promotions - Live events presented by Oscar De La Hoya's promotional firm. Notable stars include Saul Alvarez, Paulie Malignaggi and Amir Khan.
- Hennessy Boxing - a U.K.-based promotional entity. Notable stars include Tyson Fury, James DeGale and Logan McGuinness.
- Frank Maloney Promotions - a U.K.-based promotional company. Features David Price.
- Eye of the Tiger Boxing - Montreal-based promotional entity featuring the likes of Antonin Décarie, Dierry Jean and Ghislain Maduma.
- Agency Wars - Fight Network original charity amateur boxing production to raise funds for charitable causes.
Other boxing programming broadcast on FN:
- Golden Boy Classics - Classic fights from the Golden Boy library, featuring Floyd Mayweather Jr., Oscar De La Hoya, Manny Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez, Ricky Hatton, Shane Mosley, Bernard Hopkins and Julio Cesar Chavez.
- Ultimate Classic Boxing - Library of fights from the 50s, 60s and 70s, featuring the likes of Sugar Ray Robinson and Carmen Basilio.
- Knockout Files - Compilation of classic knockouts from international boxing fights. Features Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis and Ricky Hatton.
- InterBox Classics - Bouts presented by the Quebec-based promotional entity. Features Arturo Gatti vs. Micky Ward fights, plus Lucian Bute, Mikkel Kessler and Wladimir Klitschko.
- Best of G.Y.M. Boxing - Bouts promoted by the Quebec-based organization. Features Jean Pascal, Adonis Stevenson and Adrian Diaconu.
- Banner: Best of the Decade - Classic bouts promoted by Artie Pellulo. Features Jose Luis Castillo vs. Diego Corrales.
- Best of Hennessy Boxing - Bouts from the U.K.-based Hennessy archive. Features Carl Froch vs. Jean Pascal.
- CES Boxing - Cards promoted by Jimmy Burchfield. Features Vladine Biosse, Hank Lundy and Mariusz Wach.
FN's "From The Vault" archive includes fights from Showtime Championship Boxing, ShoBox: The New Generation, Solo Boxeo Tecate, Warriors Boxing, United Promotions, KZ Event Productions, Ballroom Boxing, 12 Round Promotions and Legends of the Ring.
Fight Network's live kickboxing programming includes:
- GLORY World Series - Headquartered in Singapore, GLORY showcases world-ranked kickboxers such as Semmy Schilt, Peter Aerts, Jerome Le Banner, Daniel Ghita, Giorgio Petrosyan and Robin van Roosmalen.
- K-1 - Rebranded in August 2011 under new ownership, the K-1 World Tour features international events and the biggest names in the sport, including Buakaw Banchamek and Badr Hari.
- Final Fight Championship - Based in Croatia, live events include a combination of mixed martial arts and kickboxing fights, featuring the likes of Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, Ricco Rodriguez and more.
- It's Showtime! - Kickboxing and mixed martial arts promotion based in the Netherlands. Features Daniel Ghita, Badr Hari, Tyrone Spong and Melvin Manhoef.
- Enfusion - Kickboxing and muay thai events showcasing finalists from seasons of the Enfusion reality show. Features Sahak Parparyan, Wendell Roche, Gago Drago and Andrew Tate.
- ADCC, Best Of - Compilations of classic matches from the Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championship. Features Braulio Estima, Robert Drysdale, Georges St-Pierre, Ricardo Arona, Royler Gracie, Eddie Bravo, Marcelo Garcia, Tito Ortiz, Demian Maia and Matt Hughes.
- Professional Submission League - L.A. Sub X and X-Mission events feature Randy Couture, Lyoto Machida, Ronaldo Souza and Jake Shields.
- World Pro Jiu-Jitsu Cup - International grappling tournaments featuring Xande Ribeiro, Andre Galvao, Rodolfo Vieira and Marcus Almeida.
- Budo Challenge - Grappling event produced by Rickson Gracie. Features Bibiano Fernandes, Shinya Aoki, Rolles Gracie and Rafael Lovato Jr.
Fight Network broadcasts live judo and karate tournaments:
- World Combat Games - Fight Network is the official international broadcaster for the SportAccord World Combat Games, featuring 15 Olympic and non-Olympic sports, including akido, boxing, fencing, judo, BJJ, karate, kendo, kickboxing, Muay Thai, sambo, savate, sumo, taekwondo, wrestling and wushu.
- International Judo Federation - International sanctioning body for judo. Tournaments include Grand Prix, Grand Slam and Olympic qualification.
- World Karate Federation - Largest governing body for sport karate recognized by International Olympic Committee. FN broadcasts Junior and Senior Karate World Championships.
- World Taekwondo Federation - A member of the International Olympic Committee, events feature the traditional martial art of taekwondo.
FN's pro wrestling programming includes:
- Fighting Spirit Wrestling - Compilation matches from Japan (New Japan Pro Wrestling) and Mexico (CMLL) featuring Kurt Angle, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shinsuke Nakamura, Jushin Thunder Liger, Místico, Ultimo Guerrero and more.
- Ultimate Classic Wrestling - Early careers of notable wrestling stars from the USWA promotion. Features Steve Austin, The Undertaker, Ricky Steamboat and Mick Foley.
- CMLL Wrestling - World's oldest pro wrestling promotion based in Mexico.
- CMLL Minis - Features the Mini-Estrella division with Lucha Libre-style pro wrestling from Mexico.
- New Japan Pro Wrestling - Japan-based promotion founded by Antonio Inoki. Features Hiroshi Tanahashi, Masato Tanaka and Shinsuke Nakamura.
- Ring of Honor, Best Of - Independent wrestling promotion from the U.S. featuring early career matches with CM Punk, Samoa Joe, Daniel Bryan and Christopher Daniels.
FN's reality shows include:
- Master Toddy's Tuff Girls - 14 women live together and train under Master Toddy as they compete in an elimination-style contest for a chance to win a Muay Thai championship in Thailand.
- Fight Girls - 10 female fighters live together and train with Master Toddy in Las Vegas before they vie for a world championship in Thailand. Features Gina Carano.
- Gotta Grudge? - Real people settle their real life grudges in amateur boxing fights.
- Ninja Warrior - Olympic athletes, fighters and professional wrestlers try to conquer a difficult obstacle course.
- Kill Arman - Unfit and with no previous experience, Arman has six months to learn to fight 10 different warriors with 10 martial arts in 10 countries.
- Amir Khan's Angry Young Men - Series documenting former WBA champion Amir Khan and how he mentored troubled angry men, helping them focus on family values and faith.
- T.O.P. Army Boxer & T.O.P. Army Fighter - Series profiles members of the American military competing in boxing and MMA bouts before they are deployed for duty overseas.
- Ross Kemp - Kemp interviewed gang members around the world. First broadcast in 2006. The first series featured gangs and police corruption in Brazil, Maori gangs in New Zealand, neo-Nazi skinheads in California, and gangsters in London. The second series featured "MS13" from El Salvador, neo-Nazis in Russia, skinheads in Poland, American "Bloods" and "Crips" gangs in St. Louis, and the Numbers gang in South Africa. In addition, Ross Kemp in Afghanistan documents Kemp as he followed the 1st Battalion of the British Army's Royal Anglian Regiment during their deployment to Afghanistan's Helmand Province from March to August 2007.
- Danny Dyer's Deadliest Men - Documentary series profiling Danny Dyer venturing into the dark depths of the British underworld and hunting down some of the most notorious and feared criminals in the U.K.
- Chris Ryan's Elite Police - Best-selling author Chris Ryan travels the world's crime and terror hotspots to train and operate alongside a new breed of law enforcer - the Elite Police. Series shows high-tech weaponry taking on the terrorist threat in Kazakhstan, close combat shootouts in the slums of Brazil, violent clashes with Mexican drug cartels and airborne Colombian hit squads taking out the cocaine labs.
- Truth Duty Valour - Each episode profiles the intense training and competition the Canadian military undergoes to maintain operational readiness for deployments overseas.
- Road Wars - Follows the 14 members of the Thames Valley Police's roads policing proactive unit while they carried out their duties. The program has documented the changing tactics of criminals, perhaps most importantly their increasing violence and recklessness, and the response of the U.K. police forces.
- WWE Tough Enough - Participants undergo professional wrestling training and compete for a contract with WWE. Hosted by Steve Austin.
- Fight Club - Starring Edward Norton and Brad Pitt. 1999.
- Behind Enemy Lines - Starring Owen Wilson and Gene Hackman. 2001.
- Die Hard, Die Hard 2 and Die Hard with a Vengeance - Starring Bruce Willis. 1988. 1990. 1995.
- The Transporter and The Transporter 2 - Starring Jason Statham. 2002. 2005.
- X-Men and X-Men United - Starring Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman. 2000. 2003.
- Kiss of Death - Starring David Caruso. 1995.
- Kiss of the Dragon - Starring Jet Li. 2001.
- Kung Pow! Enter the Fist - Starring Steve Oedekerk. 2002.
- Men of Honor - Starring Cuba Gooding Jr.. 2001.
- 28 Days Later - Starring Cillian Murphy and Naomie Harris. 2002.
- Commando - Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. 1985.
- Courage Under Fire - Starring Denzel Washington and Meg Ryan. 1996.
FN has aired numerous fight-themed documentaries:
- Bret Hart: Survival of the Hitman - Fight Network original documentary chronicling Bret Hart's life as he prepared for his in-ring return at WrestleMania XXVI. First aired March 22, 2010.
- Evolucao Thai: Inside the Demise of Chute Boxe - Fight Network original documentary chronicling the demise of the famous Brazilian Chute Boxe Academy and formation of Evolucao Thai in Canada.
- Toy Tiger - Feature length documentary on the life and career of 'Irish' Art Hafey, Canada's most accomplished prizefighter of the last half-century.
- Wand Fight Team: Fighter Life - 14 fighters from around the world come to Las Vegas to train for two weeks at Wand Fight Team with MMA legend Wanderlei Silva.
- Fighting Politics - Starring Matt Lindland. Follows the rise and fall of the former UFC middleweight as he was released from the promotion.
- Fighter: Randy Couture - Starring Randy Couture. Official selection of the 2006 Foundation for the Advancement of Independent Films (FAIF) International Film Festival. The film captures Couture's chase for his first UFC title.
- Strictly Baby Fight Club - Offers insight into children's Thai boxing, which is one of the fastest growing martial arts in the U.K., with over 500 registered clubs.
- Roy Jones Jr.: Return of a Champion - Story of Roy Jones Jr. as he made his way back up the ladder.
- Bum Fights - Covers the Bumfights: A Cause for Concern phenomena.
- Girl Fights - Profiling women in combat sports.
- Live Audio Wrestling (The LAW) - Wrestling and MMA talk show that airs online, on SiriusXM's Canada Talks and on TSN Radio 1050.
On May 23, 2013, Fight Network launched three weekly talk shows on SiriusXM's Canada Talks.
In addition to Live Audio Wrestling on SiriusXM, the following shows were launched:
- Fight Network Boxing Weekly - Hosted by Fight Network boxing analyst Corey Erdman, discusses recent events in professional boxing.
- Fight Network Presents MMA Meltdown - Hosted by Gabriel Morency, host of MMA Meltdown on Fight Network, who is joined by various combat sports personalities, including fighters, trainers, managers and oddsmakers.
- Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2004-62; CRTC; 2004-01-30
- New Fight Network campaign packs a punch Marketing magazine 2011-04-12
- Fight Network Coming to America!; BNET; February 2007
- The Fight Network Opens Office in Ecuador; BNET; February 2007
- The Fight Network Goes Global, Completes Provate Placement Led By Canadian Media Heavyweights; Canvas Chronicle; 2008-04-02
- Fight Network Launches on OSN in Middle East, North Africa Fight Network 2013-12-17