Fiji at the 2012 Summer Paralympics
|Fiji at the Paralympic Games|
|At the 2012 Summer Paralympics in London|
|Competitors||1 in 1 sport|
|Flag bearer||Iliesa Delana|
|Paralympic history (summary)|
Two Fijians qualified for track and field events: Iliesa Delana and Lusiana Rogoimuri. Following Rogoimuri's withdrawal due to an accident prior to the Games, however, Delana was Fiji's sole athlete in London. He was also Fiji's flag-bearer during the Games' opening ceremony.
Delana won the gold in the men's high jump F42, giving Fiji its first ever Paralympic or Olympic medal. It was only the second ever Paralympic medal (and the first gold) won by an athlete from a Pacific Island nation, following Francis Kompaon's silver in sprinting for Papua New Guinea in 2008.
|Gold||Iliesa Delana||Athletics||Men's High Jump F42||3 September|
Iliesa Delana, a left leg amputee, qualified to compete in the men's high jump, F42 category (for lower limb amputees). He had emerged as the "world number two" in his sport and category during qualifiers, giving his country hopes for its first ever Paralympic medal. He won gold, with a jump of 1.74 metres, an Oceania regional record. Girisha Hosanagara Nagarajegowda of India and Lukasz Mamczarz of Poland also cleared 1.74 metres, but while Delana cleared both 1.71m and 1.74m on his first attempt, Nagarajegowda took two attempts on 1.71, while Mamczarz only cleared 1.74 on his third attempt.
Lusiana Rogoimuri qualified (B standard) to compete in the women's 100m and 200m, T36 category; she has cerebral palsy. On 1 August, however, less than a month before the Games, she was "rushed to hospital" in a "critical condition" after a car accident. She was discharged from hospital on 21 August, but ordered to rest, and had to withdraw from the Games.
- Men’s Field Events
|Iliesa Delana||High Jump F42||1.74 OC|
See also 
- Summer Paralympic disability classification
- Fiji at the Paralympics
- Fiji at the 2012 Summer Olympics
- "All Oceania Nations to Head to London 2012 Together", International Paralympic Committee, 9 September 2011
- "Paralympics get support", Fiji Sun, 19 July 2012
- "Rogoimuri ruled out of 2012 Paralympics", FijiLive, 23 August 2012
- Fiji athletes, 2012 Summer Paralympics official website
- "Paralympic athletes praise Cardiff for warm welcome", Your Cardiff, 23 August 2012
- "Sport: Fiji’s Iliesa Delana wins Pacific’s first ever Paralympic gold medal", Radio New Zealand International, 3 September 2012
- "Delana overcomes struggles to create history", FijiVillage, 5 September 2012
- "The London 2012 guide to the Paralympic Games", p.46
- "Athlete profiles", Fiji Times, 31 January 2012
- "Five confirmed for 2012 London Olympics", Fijilive, 30 January 2012
- "Look back at February 2011", Radio Fiji, 30 December 2011
- "Men's High Jump - F42", London 2012 official website
- "Last minute preparations for Paralympian", Fiji Times, 3 August 2012
- "Lusi's wait is over", Fiji Times, 20 July 2012
- "Paralympian fights for life after accident", Fiji Times, 7 August 2012