The Fika Emirate is a traditional state with headquarters in Potiskum, Yobe State, Nigeria. Dr. Muhammadu Abali Ibn Muhammadu Idrissa received his staff of office as 43rd Emir of Fika from Yobe governor Ibrahim Gaidam on 12 May 2010. The Emir (or Moi in the local language) is head of the Bole people.
The old Fika Emirate was a multi-ethnic emirate that according to tradition dates back to the 15th century. The Bole people, already converted to Islam, were said to have moved to the current location from a settlement named Daniski in 1805. The headquarters of the emirate was moved from Fika town to Potiskum in 1924. The current emir Muhammadu Idrissa succeeded Alhaji Abali Ibn Muhammadu Idrissa, who died at the age of 77 on 10 March 2009 leaving four wives and over 40 children.
On 6 January 2000 the governor of Yobe State, Bukar Abba Ibrahim, increased the number of Emirates in the state from four to thirteen. The Emir of Fika, Alhaji Muhammadu Ambali, protested and brought court action, but eventually acquiesced. The emirate should not be confused with the Potiskum Emirate, created by Bukar Ibrahim as a "traditional state" for the Ngizim people. In 2009 and 2010 there was conflict between the emirate councils of Fika And Potiskum which came close to turning violent, but was resolved by the paramount Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’adu Abubakar.
Rulers of the Fike emirate:
|1902||1922||Disa (Idris) (d. 1922)|
|1922||1976||Muhammadu Gana dan Idris (b. c.1881 – d. 1976)|
|Aug 1976||10 Mar 2009||Muhammadu Abali Ibn Idrissa (b. 1932/37 – d. 2009)|
|16 Mar 2009||Muhammadu Abali Ibn Muhammadu Idrissa (b. 1956)|
- Mohammed Abubakar (12 May 2010). "As Potiskum Stands Still for Fika's Emir (2)". Daily Independent. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- P. Benton (1968). The Languages and Peoples of Bornu: Notes on Some Languages of Western Sudan. Routledge. p. 22. ISBN 0-7146-1635-4.
- Roger Blench, Selbut Longtau, Umar Hassan, Martin Walsh (9 November 2006). "The Role of Traditional Rulers in Conflict Prevention and Mediation in Nigeria". DFID, Nigeria. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- Hamza Idris (11 March 2009). "Emir of Fika, Abali Ibn Muhammadu, Dies At 77". Daily Trust. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- Ola Amupitan (August 2002). "Potiskum's Challenge to Damaturu as Yobe Capital". Fika Online. Retrieved 2 September 2010.
- "Sultan’s Role Applauded in Emirate Tussle". ThisDay. 13 June 2010. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Traditional States of Nigeria". WorldStatesmen.org. Retrieved 14 September 2010.