||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for web content. (May 2014)|
Type of site
|Available in||English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Polish, Japanese|
|Owner||LMG Media Ltd|
|735 (January 2015[update])|
FileHippo is a download website that offers computer software for Windows. The website's software offerings are of these types: freeware, shareware, or open-source. The website also offers its own software, called FileHippo Update Checker. The FileHippo Update Checker is a free program that scans a computer and then reports any out-dated software in a web-page format, offering download links to more recent versions. FileHippo does not accept software submissions from publishers.
According to Quantcast, FileHippo receives about 1.8 million US visitors each month and Alexa lists FileHippo among the 700 most visited websites worldwide, with most of its visitors coming from India and the US.
- FileHippo was established in 2004 by the UK-based technology company, Well Known Media.
- On November 1, 2004, the domain name "FileHippo.com" was registered through GoDaddy.com.
- On February 23, 2010, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for FileHippo by LMG Media Limited.
- On October 4, 2011, the FILEHIPPO trademark was registered. It was registered under the ownership of LMG Media Limited.
- Earlier in 2014, the website had undergone some noticeable modifications. The website's layout was changed and a new FileHippo logo was introduced. A news page called "TechBeat News" was also added to the website.
- As of April 2014, the FileHippo website can be translated to these languages: English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Polish, and Japanese.
The website has a section that contains a list of most recently updated computer programs, and another section which lists the most popular downloads. The computer programs are organized into categories (e.g. "browsers", "messaging", "security", "developer", "multimedia", and several more). There is also a search bar at the top of every page, allowing its visitors to search for software by title. These are used to reference computer programs available for download. Clicking on a particular software title takes the site visitor to the download page for that computer program. The download page contains information about the program, a link to the most recent version, as well as links to older versions. This allows the site visitors to choose which version of a program would they prefer to download and use. Registration is not required to download a program.
In January 2014, a section which contains a list of recently posted articles on "TechBeat News" was added to FileHippo's main page. A button that was also added to the main page, which directs FileHippo's visitors to the "TechBeat News" page. The page contains a compilation of online articles relevant to the technology world. The articles are grouped together according to some category (e.g. "Software", "Gadgets", "Hardware", "Product Reviews", etc.), and are written by a team of tech contributors.
The website gets its funding from user donations, third-party advertising and adware.
- Ad-supported installers: FileHippo wraps some downloads with InstallCore, an adware-based download manager which may install third-party advertisements or malware on target systems.
- User donations: FileHippo has a page that allows its visitors to make a donation to the website. Donations to the site can be of any amount, and are made via PayPal.
- Third-party advertising: FileHippo also has a page that contains information on how advertisers can promote their products through the website. All advertising on FileHippo.com is handled through Google Adwords.
- www.filehippo.com website - faqs.org Websites
- FILEHIPPO, Service Mark - Reviews & Brand Information - LMG Media Limited Havant, Hampshire, - Serial Number: 77942076
- Lmg Media Ltd., 113 London Road, Horndean, Waterlooville, Hampshire, PO8 0BJ / Companies House Registration Number: 4928134
- "Filehippo.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2015-01-07.
- "Update Checker". FileHippo. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- Pash, Adam (4 March 2007). "Download of the Day: File Hippo Update Checker (Windows)". Lifehacker. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
- Rob Pegoraro (June 24, 2007). "Fast Forward's Help File". The Washington Post.
To remedy that problem in Windows, try the FileHippo Update Checker. This small program quickly checks your installed programs for updates, then opens your Web browser to a page on the FileHippo download site from which you can download the latest versions.
- About FileHippo.com
- wkmedia.com Well Known Media website
- Web Analysis for FileHippo
- Web Archive for FileHippo.com
- FileHippo's Official Facebook page
- FileHippo Website
- TechBeat News
- TechBeat Contributors Page
- Detailed analysis of Install Core
- Beware! FileHippo tests adware distributing download manager
- FileHippo starts offering downloads via Installers
- Advertise on FileHippo.com