Wikipedia:Files for deletion
|Skip to table of contents · Skip to current discussions ·
Files for deletion (FfD) is for listing images and other media files which are unneeded. Files that have been listed here for more than 7 days are eligible for deletion if either a consensus to do so has been reached or no objections to deletion have been raised. To quote the non-free content criteria, "it is the duty of users seeking to include or retain content to provide a valid rationale; those seeking to remove or delete it are not required to show that one cannot be created." For undeletion requests, first contact the administrator who deleted the file. If you are unable to resolve the issue with that administrator, the matter should be brought to deletion review.
If you have questions if something should be deleted, consider asking at Media Copyright Questions.
Examples of what you may request here
What not to list here
Instructions for listing files for deletion
To list a file:
State the reasons why the file should be deleted. Some common reasons are:
These are not the only "valid" reasons to delete a file. Any properly explained reason can be used. The above list comprises the most common and uncontroversial ones.
Since abbreviated deletion reasons will not be familiar to most Wikipedians, especially newbies, please consider using full words. A few extra keystrokes now can save paragraphs of explanation to a panicked uploader wondering what's wrong with their image.
If you remove a file from an article, list the article from which you removed it so there can be community review of whether the file should be deleted. This is necessary because file pages do not remember the articles on which the file were previously used.
|Possibly unfree files (PUF)|
- 1 What not to list here
- 2 Instructions for discussion participation
- 3 Instructions for closing discussions
- 4 Old discussions
- 5 Recent nominations
- 5.1 April 13
- 5.1.1 File:Blizzard of 1995.jpg
- 5.1.2 File:Kick Soundtrack.jpg
- 5.1.3 File:Ungli Album Art.jpeg
- 5.1.4 File:The Fountain comic montage.jpg
- 5.1.5 File:Claudia morgan sm.jpg
- 5.1.6 File:SFA Kids Texas.jpg
- 5.1.7 File:Blonde model Karrin shot.jpg
- 5.1.8 File:Boy band simone ferrari david materrazi.jpg
- 5.1.9 File:Woman Angel photo shoot.jpg
- 5.1.10 File:BLOOD GATHERER Cepheus PROMO3.jpg
- 5.1.11 File:Blood is Sharp 2 - packshot.jpg
- 5.1.12 File:Blood is Sharp packshot.jpg
- 5.1.13 File:Blood puddle.PNG
- 5.1.14 File:Bloodied jake.jpg
- 5.1.15 File:María Cadilla de Martínez.jpg
- 5.2 April 14
- 5.2.1 File:APRLC afflicted nations.png
- 5.2.2 File:Brucepearl.jpg
- 5.2.3 File:Bloodzero-img.jpg
- 5.2.4 File:Nimrod harp coldcrow.JPG
- 5.2.5 File:Tvbulgaria-old.jpg
- 5.2.6 File:Tvbulgaria.jpg
- 5.2.7 File:Bnt-sat.png
- 5.2.8 File:Bloomistry Oct09.jpg
- 5.2.9 File:Bloomistry-Splash.jpg
- 5.2.10 File:Bloomistry-2.jpg
- 5.2.11 File:Bloomistry.gif
- 5.2.12 File:Last Rites The Return of Sebastian Vasilis.jpg
- 5.2.13 File:Mapillary logo.png
- 5.3 April 15
- 5.4 April 16
- 5.5 April 17
- 5.6 April 18
- 5.7 April 19
- 5.7.1 File:Craignewischav.jpg
- 5.7.2 File:Craignewis.jpg
- 5.7.3 File:Craigplenn.jpg
- 5.7.4 File:Balangoda Ananda Maiterya Thero.jpg
- 5.7.5 File:Denzil Kobbekaduwa , Vijaya Wimalaratne & Sarath Fonseka.jpg
- 5.7.6 File:Young artist.jpg
- 5.7.7 File:Young Thin Vexin.JPG
- 5.7.8 File:"Shubham.jpg".jpg
- 5.7.9 File:With my anigo.jpg
- 5.7.10 File:Headcrabhat.PNG
- 5.1 April 13
- 6 Footer
Instructions for discussion participation
In responding to the deletion nomination, consider adding your post in the format
* '''View''' - Reasoning ... -- ~~~~
where "Delete", "Keep", "Comment", or something else may replace "View". In posting their reasoning, many editors use abbreviations and cite to the following:
- Wikipedia:NFCC#1 – Free equivalent is/is not available
- Wikipedia:NFCC#8 – Significance
- Wikipedia:Non-free content#Images 2 – Unacceptable image use
Remember that polling is not a substitute for discussion. Wikipedia's primary method of determining consensus is through editing and discussion, not voting. Although editors occasionally use straw polls in an attempt to test for consensus, polls or surveys sometimes impede rather than assist discussion. They should be used with caution, and are no more binding than any other consensus decision.
Also remember that if you believe that an image is potentially useful for other projects and should be moved to Wikimedia Commons, in lieu of responding
'''Move to Commons''', you can move it there yourself. See Wikipedia:Moving files to the Commons for instructions.
Instructions for closing discussions
Nominations should be processed for closing after being listed for 7 days following the steps here.
The following discussions are more than 7 days old and are pending processing by an administrator:
|This page has a backlog that requires the attention of one or more administrators.
This notice is automatically updated by AnomieBOT (talk) and will no longer be displayed when the backlog is cleared.
- Wikipedia:Files for deletion/2015 March 7 - 1 remaining
- Wikipedia:Files for deletion/2015 March 31 - 1 remaining
- Wikipedia:Files for deletion/2015 April 10 - 8 remaining
For older nominations, see the archives.
Discussions approaching conclusion
- Wikipedia:Files for deletion/2015 April 12 - Discussions with at least 6 full days since nomination. After 7 days, they may be closed.
- Keep There's a citation in the article referring to Williams' changing art style for the different sequences. —Justin (koavf)❤T☮C☺M☯ 02:05, 14 April 2015 (UTC)
It says that this is 'Irreplaceable', but it doesn't say why it is irreplaceable. People from the United States entertainment industry typically appear on pictures whose copyright hasn't been renewed, and it is unclear what checks the uploader has made to ensure that such pictures do not exist. Stefan2 (talk) 15:36, 13 April 2015 (UTC)
Invalid source for this non-free image (all we know is that it was uploaded to Google Docs) damiens.rf 18:48, 13 April 2015 (UTC)
- Keep- Thank you for bringing that up. Added the Encyclopedia of Puerto Rico as a new source. Tony the Marine (talk) 23:27, 13 April 2015 (UTC)
- @Damiens.rf and Marine 69-71: Puerto Rico has been a US territory since 1900, so I assume that the same copyright laws apply there that apply to everywhere else in the US. If so, then have you searched to see if this photo (or another) was published without a copyright notice, where the copyright was not renewed, or if there is a pre-1923 photo of her? I see from María_Cadilla#Written_works that she had several published works from 1925 - 1946. If there was no copyright notice, no copyright registration, or if the registration was not renewed, then these books (which might have included her picture on the back) are public domain. For someone who lived and was a reasonably public figure in the pre-1978 United States, I'm not thrilled about a fair use photo because there's a darned good chance that we can get a public domain one. --B (talk) 15:14, 17 April 2015 (UTC)
- Comment- I have searched for a Public Domain image, but with no luck. That is why the rationale was used, after all for some reason these rationales are allowed in Wikipedia. I do have an idea, since Wikipedia is a community project, maybe you can help us find a PD image. We will be grateful. Tony the Marine (talk) 01:44, 18 April 2015 (UTC)
This is the old logo of the company and the filename blocks the use of the new (free) logo of the company on Commons commons:File:Mapillary logo.png. (The current image is also available, as a jpg, at File:Mapillary logo.jpg) Lokal_Profil 21:31, 14 April 2015 (UTC)
- Note that there is no need to replace the image usage (since the Commons version will be automatically used upon deletion). /Lokal_Profil 21:33, 14 April 2015 (UTC)
OTRS ticket 2015010210000466, no response to our follow-up email, which was sent over three months ago. I attempted to contact the photographer directly 11 days ago and received no reply. B (talk) 12:00, 15 April 2015 (UTC)
- Delete, as no response to OTRS. Also agree that the markings on the image makes it nearly unusable. Rehman 10:54, 19 April 2015 (UTC)
- Delete. per nom. Theenjay36, please categorize the Commons image. Thanks, Rehman 10:52, 19 April 2015 (UTC)
- This is a user-authored SVG rendering, as seen here. I have received explicit permission from the author via email correspondence, although it appears as though he hasn't uploaded it himself. I can send you a copy of the email if you wish, or I can direct you to where you may contact the author themselves. Owleaf (talk) 06:20, 18 April 2015 (UTC)
- As long as that permission is only valid for Wikipedia, as you indicated on the image page, and doesn't constitute a fully free license for re-use by others, it is unfortunately quite irrelevant for us. You declared the image to be non-free; if that's what it is, it's unuseable. Fut.Perf. ☼ 07:23, 18 April 2015 (UTC)
Violation of WP:NFCCP#3a - "Multiple items of non-free content are not used if one item can convey equivalent significant information". This is one of two non-free files of the same individual used on Balangoda Ananda Maitreya Thero (the other being File:Agga Maha Pandita Balangoda Ananda Maitreya Thera.jpg). This has been discussed at WP:NFCR where non-involved editors deemed it inappropriate to have two non-free images. obi2canibetalk contr 11:40, 19 April 2015 (UTC)
This non-free file has been added to three biographical articles (Sarath Fonseka, Denzil Kobbekaduwa and Vijaya Wimalaratne) all of which have other free or non-free files to illustrate the individual. The only reason this file has been used is that it shows all three individuals together. obi2canibetalk contr 12:00, 19 April 2015 (UTC)
Please ensure "===April 19===" is at the very top of the new page so that internal page links from the main Files for deletion page (the one you're on now) work.