Filey School crest
|Motto||Caring, Learning, Achieving|
|Headteacher||Susan Morgan |
|Deputy and Assistant Heads||Tony Ord (Deputy Head) J. Waines (Assistant Head)|
|Chair of governors||Andy Nicholson|
|Local authority||North Yorkshire|
|DfE URN||121682 Tables|
Brigg Carr Glen Wold
|Colours||Blue and black|
|Former Colours||Green and yellow|
|Website||Filey School Website|
Filey School is a secondary school in Filey, North Yorkshire, England. The school has 630 students of mixed gender, and is headed by Susan Morgan. Andy Dickinson was the headteacher until October 2012, when he left his position at the school unexpectedly, citing "personal reasons". Filey School is the only secondary school in Filey, and it also covers surrounding villages, with a significant intake from Hunmanby. The school is under the Enhanced Mainstream School (EMS) umbrella created by North Yorkshire County Council, which means the school is specialised in Special Educational Needs students.
The school, until March 2013, had a swimming pool that was open to the residents of Filey, until a shortfall in funding, and inaccurate financial information preventing rescue funding, forced it to close. This was amid claims that North Yorkshire County Council was underfunding the school, a claim it denies.
The school utilises a house system, which is currently divided into Brigg, Carr, Glen, and Wold - all of which are named after local landmarks and attractions, such as Filey Brigg and Glen Gardens. Each house is also assigned a colour - Brigg is blue, Carr is yellow, Glen is green, and Wold is red.
A subsequent inspection in 2013 reduced the school's rating to Grade 4 (inadequate) - the lowest possible grade - citing "achievement of pupils" and "quality of teaching" as inadequate, and "behaviour and safety of pupils" and "leadership and management" as requiring improvement, saying overall that "this is a school that has serious weaknesses".
|Arts Award||Vocational Level 1/2|
|ASDAN||Vocational Level 1/2|
|Business Studies||BTEC Level 2|
|Child Care||Vocational Level 2|
|Creative & Media||Diploma Level 2|
|Engineering||Diploma Level 1 and Vocational Level 1/2|
|Fashion & Textiles||GCSE|
|Hospitality||Diploma Level 2|
|ICT||OCR National Level 2|
|Land Based Science||GCSE|
|Media Studies||BTEC Level 2|
|Performing Arts||BTEC Level 2|
|Religious Education||GCSE/GCSE Short Course|
|Social, Health & Development||Diploma Level 2|
|Travel & Tourism||Diploma Level 2|
Notable former students
- Archbishop set to visit Filey School
- "Ofsted Inspection Report". Ofsted. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "What is an enhanced mainstream school (EMS)?". North Yorkshire County Council. NYCC. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Filey School swimming pool closure to go ahead". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "North Yorkshire rejects funding criticism over Filey School". North Yorkshire County Council. NYCC. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "Filey School House System". Filey School. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Filey School"; Ofsted Inspection Report, 14 June 2010. Retrieved 16 June 2012
- "School Information". Filey School Website. Filey School. Retrieved 23 May 2013.