|Ruth Sokolof Theater|
Film Streams marquis
|Address||1340 Mike Fahey Street
|Opened||July 27, 2007|
|Years active||2007 to present|
|Architect||Alley Poyner Macchietto Architecture|
In late July 2007, Film Streams opened the Ruth Sokolof Theater, a new two-screen cinema in downtown Omaha's North Downtown (NoDo) area, within a development anchored by internationally acclaimed music label Saddle Creek Records.
About Film Streams
As a nonprofit arts organization committed to screening films based on their artistic and social merits, Film Streams depends on the support of its membership program, individual donors, and grants from foundations, corporations, and government organizations.
Film Streams has two auditoriums with 35-millimeter platter and reel-to-reel projection capabilities. The larger theater seats 206 and runs first run features. The smaller theater seats 96 and shows repertory selections "featuring classic films, themed series and director retrospectives." Film Streams has DVD, Bluray, and digital high-definition projection.
Rachel Jacobson founded Films Streams by joining with Saddle Creek Records, the indie record label based in Omaha, to build a mini-campus in a deserted downtown Omaha area. The block that is home to Film Streams also houses the Saddle Creek headquarters and Slowdown, a rock club the label operates.
About Ruth Sokolof
The theaters were named after Ruth Sokolof, née Rosinsky (1925-1982), a well-known educator in Omaha who focused her life on helping children with disabilities. With her husband, Phil, many education-based scholarships are awarded in their name each year to Omaha-area students and educators.
- First-run Films (American independents, documentaries, and foreign films making their theatrical premiere in Omaha and the surrounding region)
- Repertory Selections (classic films, themed series, and director retrospectives)
- Arts in Education (diverse programming teaching high school students how to interpret what they’re viewing in a cultural context, learn how to empathize with characters in ways beneficial to their own social development, and analyze film as art)
- Community Development (lectures, forums, Q&A sessions with film professionals, partnerships with other nonprofits and community groups on film-based events, special one-time screenings for area filmmakers, and other activities that engage the public in a continuous dialogue about film and contribute to Omaha’s vibrant local arts community)
- Now Showing: First run films
- Repertory Series
- Daytime screenings for visiting classes: High School curriculum support
- Student night at the Ruth Sokolof Theater: First Monday of every month free for full-time students
- Special Events
Feature (annual fundraiser)
In addition to its regular programming there is an annual fundraiser held at the Holland Performing Arts Center.
- Feature I (2008): Director Alexander Payne in conversation with actor Laura Dern (Sunday, July 13, 2008)
- Feature II (2009): Director Alexander Payne in conversation with actor Debra Winger (Saturday, September 13, 2009)
- Feature III (2011): Kurt Andersen in conversation with director Steven Soderbergh with an introduction by director Alexander Payne (Sunday, February 20, 2011)
- Feature IV (2012): Director Alexander Payne in conversation with actor Jane Fonda (Sunday, July 22, 2012)
- Feature V (2013): Kurt Andersen in conversation with Nebraska director Alexander Payne and actors Bruce Dern and Will Forte (Sunday, November 24, 2013)
Board of directors
- Laura Alley
- Roger duRand
- Charles Gifford
- David Jacobson
- Rachel Jacobson, Founder/Director
- Mark Javitch
- Daniel Lonergan
- Robert E. (Bob) Mundy, Secretary
- Alexander Payne
- Steven W. Seline
- Betiana Simon
- Paul G. Smith, Vice Chairman
- Ted Warin, Treasurer
- Katie Weitz, Ph.D., Chairman
- Kurt Andersen
- Danny Lee Ladely
- Robb Nansel
- Joel Schlessinger
- Lyn Wallin Ziegenbein
- Michael B. Yanney, Director Emeritus
- Alley Poyner Machietto Architecture
- Oxide Design Co., design — Film Streams identity and collateral materials
- Davidson, Adam (June 3, 2011). "The Indie-Rock Club Behind Omaha's $100 Million Creative Boom" (Audio story and interview). NPR's Morning Edition. Planet Money: The Economy Explained. National Public Radio (NPR). Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Konigsberg, Eric (March 16, 2008). "When Omaha Met Cinema". The New York Times. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Fonda, Jane (July 24, 2012). "Alexander Payne, Laura Dern & an Amazing Weekend in Omaha". JaneFonda.com. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Davila, Stephanie (June 19, 2011). "SURFACING; In Omaha, From Train Yards to Playground". The New York Times. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Andersen, Kurt (March 25, 2007). "Omaha’s Culture Club". The New York Times. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)". Film Streams. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Krainak, Michael Joe. "Meet Rachel Jacobson, Omaha’s Movie Maven, founder & director of Film Streams, the city’s first non-profit indie cinema venue". Omaha City Weekly. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Biga, Leo Adam (February 2012). "Living the Dream: Cinema Maven Rachel Jacobson – the Woman Behind Film Streams". Metro Magazine. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Schreiber, Danny (August 9, 2010). "Nebraska Film: Rachel Jacobson of Film Streams" (Part of a series titled Nebraska Film: An Exploration of the Growing Community). Silicon Prairie News. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Soderlin, Barbara (April 22, 2013). "Film Streams vies for starring role in Omaha entertainment scene". Omaha World-Herald (Money). Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Lehrer, Brian (April 13, 2006). "Knowing When to Quit Is Half of Winning" (Audio story). The Brian Lehrer Show. WNYC. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- DiGiacomo, Danielle (May–June 2006). "On the Margins of the Multiplex: Young visionaries bring indie cinemas to small cities". The Independent. The Association of Independent Video and Filmmakers (AIVF). Archived from the original on June 25, 2006. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Asserting Their Style". Hemisphere Magazine. May 2006. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "About Film Streams: About Ruth Sokolof (1925-1982)". Film Streams. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Saxon, Wolfgang (April 17, 2004). "Phil Sokolof, 82, a Crusader Against Cholesterol, Is Dead". The New York Times. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Sherman, Claudia (April 29, 2005). "Foundation Receives $3 Million Gift From Sokolof Estate". The Jewish Federation of Omaha. The Jewish Federations of North America, Inc. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Henthorn, Janet. "Foundation Announces Sokolof Scholarship Applications Available". The Jewish Federation of Omaha. The Jewish Federations of North America, Inc. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Sherman, Claudia. "Nominations Sought for Sokolof Teacher’s Award". The Jewish Federation of Omaha. The Jewish Federations of North America, Inc. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- McMahan, Tim (August 3, 2005). "Film Streams: Wide Awake and Dreaming. Lazy-I Interview: Rachel Jacobson". Lazy-I. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Film Streams Annual Report 2012". Film Streams. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Film Streaming in Omaha". Criterion.com. The Criterion Collection. May 19, 2011.
- "Feature 2008: A Film Streams Event". Film Streams. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Longbrake, Marc (July 14, 2008). "Film Streams presents – Laura Dern & Alexander Payne". King Penguin Productions. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Biga, Leo Adam (November 20, 2011). "When Laura Met Alex: Laura Dern & Alexander Payne Get Deep About Collaborating on ‘Citizen Ruth’ and Their Shared Cinema Sensibilities". The Reader. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Feature 2009: A Film Streams Event". Film Streams. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Associated Press (June 11, 2009). "Actress Debra Winger Helps Omaha Theater". WOWT NBC Omaha. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Feature III: A Film Streams Event". Film Streams. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Anderson, Kurt. "Steven Soderbergh Says Goodbye to Hollywood" (Audio stream of interview). Studio 360. Film Streams and Omaha Performing Arts. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Film Streams' Feature IV with Jane Fonda". Film Streams. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Kelly, Michael (July 26, 2012). "Kelly: Jane Fonda charmed by Omaha, Film Streams". Omaha World-Herald. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- Fischbach, Bob (July 23, 2012). "Jane Fonda tours Omaha Community Playhouse". Omaha World-Herald. Retrieved 14 November 2013.
- "Feature V: In Support of Film Streams' Ruth Sokolof Theater". Film Streams.
- Fischbach, Bob (August 9, 2013). "Alexander Payne's 'Nebraska' to premiere at Film Streams on Nov. 22". Omaha World-Herald. Retrieved 14 November 2013.