Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague
The Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague (Czech: Filmová a televizní fakulta Akademie múzických umění v Praze) or FAMU is one of the oldest film schools in the world. Located in Prague, Czech Republic, FAMU was founded in 1946 as one of three branches of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague. The teaching language at most of programs at FAMU is Czech, but FAMU offers also programs in English: summer workshops, one-year Academy Program, Special Productions - or MFA program Cinema in Digital Media. According to The Hollywood Reporter weekly, FAMU is the best film school in Europe and No. 11 in the world.
In the 1960s and 1970s, several young directors from Yugoslavia were FAMU students (Rajko Grlić, Srđan Karanović, Emir Kusturica, Goran Marković, Goran Paskaljević and Lordan Zafranović). All of these directors would become very successful in the following decades, prompting the coinage of the term Praška škola ("Prague school"), or Praški talas ("Prague wave"), which is sometimes considered a prominent sub genre of the Yugoslav cinema.
- Frank Beyer
- Věra Chytilová
- Karel Cudlín (photographer)
- Jasmin Dizdar
- Miloš Forman
- Rajko Grlić
- Agnieszka Holland
- Karol Grabowski (photographer)
- Juraj Jakubisko
- Jan Hřebejk
- Vojtěch Jasný
- Josef Koudelka (photographer)
- Emir Kusturica
- Markéta Luskačová (photographer)
- Goran Marković
- Jiří Menzel
- Jan Němec
- Goran Paskaljević
- Ivan Passer
- Josip Knežević
- Filip Remunda
- Karol Sidon
- Tono Stano
- Jan Svěrák
- Petr Šálek
- Woody Vasulka
- Lordan Zafranović
- Sulejman Suki Medencevic
- Örvar Þóreyjarson Smárason
- Srđan Karanović
- Nevenka Rezdic Toth/Nena Toth (director of photography/filmmaker)
- Istočnoevropski filmski fenomen (Croatian)
- Praška škola ne postoji (Serbian)
- Bernard, Jan. "FAMU at its origins". FAMU. Retrieved 6 November 2010.
- Silverio, Robert. Karel Cudlín. Prague: Torst, 2001. ISBN 80-7215-148-7. Pp. 10–11.
- Marie Klimešová, "Intimate Pictures from Life", in Markéta Luskačová et al., Markéta Luskačová (Prague: Torst, 2001; ISBN 80-7215-129-0), 15–16.
|This article related to a film organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Czech Republic university, college or other education institution article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|