Filmfare Award for Best Actress
|Filmfare Award for Best Actress|
|Awarded for||Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role|
|First awarded||1954 (for performances in films released around 1953)|
|Currently held by||Deepika Padukone,
Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela (2014)
|Official website||Filmfare Awards|
The Filmfare Award for Best Actress is given by Filmfare as part of its annual Filmfare Awards for Hindi films, to recognise a female actor who has delivered an outstanding performance in a leading role. The award was first given in 1954 for the films released in preceding year 1953.
|Actress with most awards||Nutan
|Actress with most nominations||Madhuri Dixit||13|
|Actress with most nominations without ever winning||Tabu||5|
|Actress with most nominations in a single year||Shabana Azmi (1984)||4|
|Eldest nominee||Sharmila Tagore||60|
|Youngest winner||Dimple Kapadia||16|
|Youngest nominee||Dimple Kapadia
Nutan and Kajol, with five wins each, have more Best Actress wins than any other actress. Two actresses: Meena Kumari and Madhuri Dixit, have four wins. Vyjayanthimala, Jaya Bachchan, Shabana Azmi and Vidya Balan have three wins. Seven actresses have won the award twice; in chronological order, they are Waheeda Rehman, Dimple Kapadia, Rekha, Sridevi, Karisma Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai and Rani Mukerji.
Five actresses have won the award in consecutive years; in chronological order, they are Meena Kumari (1954–55), Jaya Bachchan (1974–75), Shabana Azmi (1984–85), Rani Mukerji (2005–06), and Vidya Balan (2012–13).
Actresses who have won both Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress awards include Vyjayanthimala, Raakhee, Padmini Kolhapure, Nutan, Dimple Kapadia, Rekha, Karisma Kapoor, Jaya Bachchan, Madhuri Dixit, Rani Mukerji and Kareena Kapoor. Rani Mukerji is the first and only actress to win both these awards in the same year. Two actresses were nominated for both these awards for the same performance: Nutan for Saudagar (1974) and for Main Tulsi Tere Aangan Ki (1979) and Raakhee for Doosra Aadmi (1978).
Madhuri Dixit, holds the record for most nominations in the Best Actress category, with 13, followed by Meena Kumari (12), Hema Malini (11), Kajol (10) and Shabana Azmi / Sridevi / Aishwarya Rai (9). Raakhee is the overall most-nominated performer in the female acting categories, with 16 nominations (8 for Best Actress and 8 for Best Supporting Actress), followed by Madhuri Dixit, who has 15 nominations overall. Madhuri Dixit also holds the record for most consecutive year nominations with 8 between 1989 and 1996 winning thrice in 1991, 1993 and 1995.
In 1963, Meena Kumari achieved an unusual feat by garnering all the three nominations of this category. She was nominated for Aarti, Main Chup Rahungi and Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam (for which she eventually won).
Shabana Azmi, who received four out of the five nominations of this category in 1984 (and eventually won for Arth), holds the record for the highest number of Best Actress nominations in a single year.
Only once have siblings been nominated for the Best Actress Award during the same year: Karisma Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor in 2002, and twice have cousins been nominated for the Best Actress Award during the same year: Kajol and Rani Mukerji in 2007 and Priyanka Chopra and Parineeti Chopra in 2013.
- 13 Nominations: Madhuri Dixit
- 12 Nominations: Meena Kumari
- 11 Nominations: Hema Malini
- 10 Nominations: Kajol
- 9 Nominations: Shabana Azmi, Aishwarya Rai, Sridevi
- 8 Nominations: Jaya Bachchan, Raakhee
- 7 Nominations: Nutan, Rekha, Rani Mukerji, Kareena Kapoor, Vidya Balan
- 6 Nominations: Juhi Chawla
- 5 Nominations: Tabu, Karisma Kapoor, Preity Zinta, Deepika Padukone
- 4 Nominations: Vyjayanthimala, Mala Sinha, Waheeda Rehman, Saira Banu, Smita Patil, Dimple Kapadia, Manisha Koirala, Sharmila Tagore, Urmila Matondkar, Priyanka Chopra
- 3 Nominations: Jaya Prada
- 2 Nominations: Sadhana Shivdasani, Nargis, Asha Parekh, Suchitra Sen, Reena Roy, Zeenat Aman, Padmini Kolhapure, Rati Agnihotri, Meenakshi Seshadri, Ameesha Patel, Bipasha Basu, Anushka Sharma, Katrina Kaif, Parineeti Chopra
List of winners and nominees
- 1956 Kamini Kaushal – Biraj Bahu as Biraj Chakravorty
- 1959 Vyjayanthimala – Sadhna as Champabai / Rajani
- 1960 Nutan – Sujata as Sujata
- 1961 Bina Rai – Ghunghat as Parvati / Jamuna
- 1962 Vyjayanthimala – Gunga Jumna as Dhanno
- 1963 Meena Kumari – Sahib Bibi Aur Ghulam as Chhoti Bahu
- 1965 Vyjayanthimala – Sangam as Radha
- 1966 Meena Kumari – Kaajal as Madhavi
- 1967 Waheeda Rehman – Guide as Rosie Marco
- 1968 Nutan – Milan as Radha R. Rai
- 1969 Waheeda Rehman – Neel Kamal as Rajkumari Neel Kamal / Sita Raichand
- 1970 Sharmila Tagore – Aradhana as Vandhana Tripathi
- 1971 Mumtaz – Khilona as Chand
- 1972 Asha Parekh – Kati Patang as Madhavi "Madhu"
- 1973 Hema Malini – Seeta Aur Geeta as Seeta / Geeta
- 1974 Dimple Kapadia – Bobby as Bobby J. Braganza
- 1975 Jaya Bachchan – Kora Kagaz as Archana Gupta
- 1976 Lakshmi – Julie as Julie
- 1977 Raakhee – Tapasya as Indrani "Indu" Sinha
- 1978 Shabana Azmi – Swami as Saudamini "Mini"'
- 1979 Nutan – Main Tulsi Tere Aangan Ki as Sanjukta Chouhan
- 1980 Jaya Bachchan – Nauker as Geeta
- 1981 Rekha – Khubsoorat as Manju Dayal
- 1982 Smita Patil – Chakra as Amma
- 1983 Padmini Kolhapure – Prem Rog as Manorama "Rama"
- 1984 Shabana Azmi – Arth as Mrs. Pooja Inder Malhotra
- 1985 Shabana Azmi – Bhavna as Bhavna Saxena
- 1986 Dimple Kapadia – Saagar as Mona D'Silva
- 1987 No award
- 1988 No award
- 1989 Rekha – Khoon Bhari Maang as Aarti Verma
- 1990 Sridevi – ChaalBaaz as Anju Das / Manju Das
- 1991 Madhuri Dixit – Dil as Madhu Mehra
- 1992 Sridevi – Lamhe as Pallavi / Pooja Bhatnagar
- 1993 Madhuri Dixit – Beta as Saraswati
- 1994 Juhi Chawla – Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke as Vaijanti Iyer
- 1995 Madhuri Dixit – Hum Aapke Hain Koun..! as Nisha Choudhury
- 1996 Kajol – Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge as Simran Singh
- 1997 Karisma Kapoor – Raja Hindustani as Aarti Sehgal
- 1998 Madhuri Dixit – Dil To Pagal Hai as Pooja
- 1999 Kajol – Kuch Kuch Hota Hai as Anjali Sharma
- 2000 Aishwarya Rai – Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam as Nandini
- 2001 Karisma Kapoor – Fiza as Fiza Ikramullah
- 2002 Kajol – Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham... as Anjali Sharma
- 2003 Aishwarya Rai – Devdas as Parvati "Paro" Chakraborty
- 2004 Preity Zinta – Kal Ho Naa Ho as Naina Catherine Kapur
- 2005 Rani Mukerji – Hum Tum as Rhea Prakash
- 2006 Rani Mukerji – Black as Michelle McNally
- 2007 Kajol – Fanaa as Zooni Ali Beg
- 2008 Kareena Kapoor – Jab We Met as Geet Dhillon
- 2009 Priyanka Chopra – Fashion as Meghna Mathur
- 2010 Vidya Balan – Paa as Vidya
- 2011 Kajol – My Name is Khan as Mandira Khan
- 2012 Vidya Balan – The Dirty Picture as Reshma/Silk
- 2013 Vidya Balan – Kahaani as Vidya Venkatesan Bagchi
- 2014 Deepika Padukone – Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela as Leela Sanera