|Origin||East Bay, California|
|Genres||Hardcore punk, crust punk|
|Years active||1989–1991, 2010|
|Labels||Lookout! Records, Life is Abuse Records, Alternative Tentacles|
|Associated acts||Isocracy, the Vagrants, Crimpshrine, Blatz, The Exploited, Wynona Riders, Embers, Fields of Shit|
Formed in the East Bay in 1989, from the ashes of Isocracy, the Vagrants, and Crimpshrine, Filth was a crustcore band that would help define the later "East Bay Hardcore" style. The band combined the more upbeat, sometimes poppy guitar styles of Isocracy's Lenny Rokk with harsh screamed vocals, courtesy of Crimpshrine roadie, Jake Sayles. The rhythm section was composed of an East Bay punk known as Mike-o the Psycho on bass, and Dave (E.C.) Henwood (of the Vagrants) on drums, also on guitar was Jim Gray, who had moved to the Bay Area from Canada. Dave left the band after recording the shit split LP (1990) and Toby was brought in to replace him. They released a split album with Blatz, known as the Shit Split (1991), on Lookout Records originally on LP and Cassette- a 2xCD version was released in the mid-1990s. In 2000 the LP & 2xCD were moved to Life Is Abuse. In 2008 Life Is Abuse ended regular operations so the LP & 2xCD was moved to its current home, Alternative Tentacles. The 2xCD contains both bands complete discography including the "This Is Why We Are the Drunks" split 7" with Submachine from Pittsburgh, PA and Filth's 1990 demo tape. Toby left the band in 1991, and Joey of Blatz stepped in shortly before the band's premature 1992 break-up.
Len Rokk and Mike-O Psycho were some of the founding members of Strychnine in 1995, and both left the band after recording the Dead Rats and Oakland Dogs LP, for Len's (now defunct) label, East Bay Menace Records.
Mike and Jake founded a band with Shoshanna Wheaton and members of Queen Mab and Talk Is Poison, called Fields Of Shit, who only recorded one 10" EP before disbanding. It is available via Life Is Abuse.
Jim moved back to Canada and formed a band called Tension, who released a CD called "War Cry" on Cargo Music/Grilled Cheese Records, and later joined the Exploited.
Jake, Clara (Hue and Cry), Jerry (Fields of Shit), and Mauz (Dystopia, Life Is Abuse Records) formed Abandon in 2003, and in 2004, 5 songs were released on a compilation titled Letters From the Landfill, on Left Off The Dial Records. Abandon is broken up.
Dave later played in the Wynona Riders and later the Vagrants reformed as Pot Valiant.
Filth re-united in 2010 and performed four shows: June 4 at the 924 Gilman Street, another on June 5 at The Hazmat in Oakland, CA, one in San Francisco at Thee Parkside, and another June 10 at The Uptown in Oakland, CA.
- Jake Sayles - Vocals, later of Fields of Shit, Abandon, Wild Dog Gods, Blackie and Our Mother of Sorrows.
- Len Rokk - Guitar, formerly of Isocracy and later of Strychnine
- Jim Gray - Guitar, Later of The Exploited and Tension
- "Mike-O the Psycho" - Bass, later of Strychnine and Fields Of Shit
- Dave E.C. Henwood - Drums, formerly of the Vagrants and later of Wynona Riders pot valiant, the tantrums,and three years down also ruby deville & the sons of coco county.
- Toby - Drums
- Jon Summerall - Bass, before the band found Mike-O the Psycho, also of Econochrist and many other Oakland Punk bands
- Joey Perales - Drums, formerly of Blatz, later joined Jack Acid, Dead and Gone and Creeps on Candy
- Derek Dykeman-Drums,December 1990 to February 1991 never toured or played live with Filth
- 1990: Live the Chaos 7" (Lookout! Records)
- 1990: If You Can See Through It... It Ain't Coffee compilation (Very Small Records)
- 1990: The Shit Split (split with Blatz) Lookout! Records
- 1992: This Is Why We Are the Drunks (split w/ Submachine) (Rust Records)
- 1992: There's a Faggot in the Pit compilation (Bobo Records)
- 1999: Later That Same Year... compilation (S.P.A.M. Records)
- 2000: The Shit Split (split with Blatz) (Life is Abuse Records)
- 2000: Live the Chaos (Life Is Abuse Records)
- 2008: The Shit Split (split with Blatz) (Alternative Tentacles Records)
- 2008: Live the Chaos (Silver Sprocket)