First volume of Finder as released by Libre in Japan on March 31, 2007
|Genre||Drama, Romance, Yaoi|
|Written by||Yamane Ayano|
|Published by||Biblos, Libre|
|Magazine||Be x Boy GOLD|
|Original run||2002 – ongoing|
|Original video animation|
|Released||February 29, 2012 – ongoing|
|Episodes||2 + Special|
Finder Series (Japanese: ファインダーシリーズ Hepburn: Faindā Shirīzu?) is a yaoi manga written and illustrated by Yamane Ayano. As of June 2012 (in Japan); 6 volumes have been released, as well as an Anime OVA adaptation, 2 drama CDs, a character art book, and many other related goods.
Twenty-one-year-old Akihito Takaba (高羽 秋仁 Takaba Akihito) is a young freelance photographer who takes pride in his work and seeks to get a major "scoop". After he takes photographs of the business dealings of crime lord Ryuichi Asami (麻見 隆一 Asami Ryūichi), Asami kidnaps and rapes him, beginning a relationship between them as they find themselves continually drawn to one another. Liu Fei Long (劉飛龍 Ryū Feiron, Chinese: Liú Fēilóng), a rival Chinese boss who blames Asami for his father's death, takes an interest in Takaba, as well, seeking a way to get revenge.
Written and illustrated by Yamane Ayano, Finder Series was originally serialized in Japan's Be x Boy GOLD and B-Boy Zips manga anthologies. The individual chapters were collected and published in tankōbon volumes; by Biblos, from 2002 until 2005, when the company went out of business. In 2007, Libre picked up the series, reprinting the first three volumes before continuing its release.
In 2007, Biblos licensed the series for English language release to Central Park Media, which began publishing the series under its Be Beautiful Manga imprint. In 2006, Biblos filed for bankruptcy and some of its properties were acquired by Libre Publishing. Libre later accused Central Park Media of infringing on its copyright of the transferred Biblos properties, stating that all foreign license holders needed to negotiate new licenses with Libre as those Biblos had sold ended with the company's bankruptcy. In a letter posted to its website, it asked readers not to purchase any Be Beautiful releases, calling them "illegal". John O'Donnell, then manager of Central Park Media refused Libre's claims and felt that Biblo's original license agreements were still valid. In 2009, the company filed for bankruptcy and its assets, including licenses, were liquidated. Finder Series was not listed among the assets, indicating Central Park Media no longer held the license.
In March 2010, Digital Manga Publishing announced that it had acquired the English license to the Finder Series and published under their yaoi-oriented line, Juné. Volume 3 of the DMP edition was #4 on the New York Times bestseller list for manga the week of May 1, 2011. The series was licensed in Germany by Tokyopop Germany, which has published 6 volumes of the series as of December 2011. Finder Series has been released in several other languages too, including Chinese, Korean, French, and Italian.
|No.||Title||Japanese release||North American release|
|1||Target in the Finder (Be Beautiful edition), Target in the Viewfinder (Juné edition)
|March 10, 2002 (Biblos)
March 31, 2007 (Libre)
|Aug 30, 2005 (Be Beautiful edition)
Sep 8, 2010 (Juné edition)
ISBN 978-1933440002 (Be Beautiful edition)
ISBN 978-1569701867 (Juné edition)
|2||Cage in the Finder (Be Beautiful edition), Cage in the Viewfinder (Juné edition)
|May 10, 2004 (Biblos)
May 1, 2007 (Libre)
|Nov 30, 2005 (Be Beautiful edition)
Nov 17, 2010 (Juné edition)
ISBN 978-1933440019 (Be Beautiful edition)
ISBN 978-1569701874 (Juné edition)
|3||One Wing in the Finder (Be Beautiful edition), One Wing in the Viewfinder (Juné edition)
|November 11, 2005 (Biblos)
June 1, 2007 (Libre)
|Apr 3, 2007 (Be Beautiful edition)
February 23, 2011 (Juné edition)
ISBN 978-1933440231 (Be Beautiful edition)
ISBN 978-1569701881 (Juné edition)
|4||Prisoner in the Viewfinder
|June 8, 2007 (Libre)
|July 23, 2011 (Juné edition)
ISBN 978-1569701898 (Juné edition)
|5||Truth in the Viewfinder
|June 10, 2009 (Libre)
|November 6, 2011 (Juné edition)
ISBN 978-1569701904 (Juné edition)
|6||Passion Within The Viewfinder
|April 9, 2011 (Libre)
|June 27, 2012 (Juné edition)
ISBN 978-1569702734 (Juné edition)
A special anime adaptation of 'Target in the Finder' (ファインダーの標的) was recently released by ANiMix Project on February 29, 2012 - starring Japanese voice actors Tetsuya Kakihara as Akihito, Takaya Kuroda as Asami, and Nobuo Tobita as Feilong. It is not really a fully animated animation, as the animation was limited to only the character's mouth, eyes, and some important body movements of the scenes. A special Cast Talk CD was included in First Press edition.
- A 2-disk drama CD of the first volume of the series was re-released by Geneon Entertainment under its "Cue Egg" label on May 25, 2007, containing 10 audio tracks. It featured the voices of Akira Sasanuma, Takehito Koyasu, and Hideo Ishikawa as the three central characters.
- The second released 2-disk drama CD is the third volume of the series, 'One Wing in the Finder' (ファインダーの隻翼), released by Libre Publishing on September 28, 2011. It featured the voices of Tetsuya Kakihara as Akihito, Takaya Kuroda as Asami, and Nobuo Tobita as Feilong. It includes the complete Japan chapter of "Naked Truth"! and this set also contains "Hard-Working Cameraman Akihito Takaba's Refined Day" and "Love Surprise"! A special Cast Talk CD was included if you exclusively bought from Libre online store.
A character book was released December 18, 2007 that included a pull-out poster.
In May 2009, Germany's Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons labeled the first volume of Finder as "harmful to young persons", which results in the first volume of the series being "restricted to people of legal age only. It is also prohibited to show incriminated content as teasers, trailers or in any other advertising context." In response, Tokyopop Germany removed the information about the first volume from its website, but continued to list the other three volumes it had already published.
In Manga: The Complete Guide, Jason Thompson gave the series a rating of 3½ out of four stars, stating that the series is "written in an appropriately dark and brooding fashion" due to its use of "graphic sex and S&M", and praised the art as "coolly attractive".
- "Be Beautiful Releases Ayano Yamane's Finder Series". Anime News Network. December 20, 2004. Retrieved July 5, 2009.
- Cha, Kai-Ming; Reid, Calvin (March 29, 2007). "Japanese Publisher Claims CPM Infringes". Publishers Weekly. Archived from the original on October 17, 2007. Retrieved July 5, 2009.
- "Central Park Media社からの翻訳出版について" (in Japanese and English). Libre Publishing. Retrieved July 5, 2009.
- "CPM Speaks on Manga License Dispute with Libre". Anime News Network. December 9, 2007. Retrieved July 5, 2009.
- "Central Park Media's Licenses Offered by Liquidator". Anime News Network. June 8, 2009. Retrieved July 5, 2009.
- "Central Park Media Corporation Copyrights" (PDF). M.Y.C. & Associates. Retrieved July 5, 2009.[dead link]
- "June to release Ayano Yamane's Finder Series!". Digital Manga Inc. Blog. March 11, 2010. Retrieved 12 March 2010.
- "DMP Adds Ayano Yamane's Finder, Kazuma Kodaka's Kizuna". Anime News Network. March 11, 2010. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- "BEST SELLERS > MANGA". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2011-05-01/manga/list.html.
- "Finder". Tokyopop Germany. Retrieved October 2010.
- "Finder, Band 6 - Leidenschaft (Sonderausgabe)". Tokyopop Germany. Retrieved June 2012.
- "Finder Series - Manga in other languages". Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- "Vol. 6 - Passion Within The Viewfinder". Digital Media. Retrieved June 7, 2012.
- "ANiMiXプロジェクト 「ファインダーの標的」DVD" (in Japanese). Movic & Libre Publishing. Retrieved March 13, 2012.
- "Cue Egg Label Fukkokuban Drama CD Finder no Hyoteki" (in Japanese). Neowing. Retrieved July 5, 2009.
- "All About Yamane Ayano- Drama CD: Finder no Sekiyoku" (in Japanese). Libre Publishing. Retrieved March 13, 2009.
- "ファインダーの標的キャラクターズブック" (in Japanese). Be Boy. Retrieved July 5, 2009.
- "Germany Restricts Yamane's Finder Manga as "Harmful"". Anime News Network. May 29, 2009. Retrieved July 5, 2009.
- "Bundesprüfstelle - information in english" (in German, English). Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons. Retrieved July 5, 2009.
- Thompson, Jason (October 9, 2007). Manga: The Complete Guide. New York, New York: Del Rey. p. 425. ISBN 978-0-345-48590-8. OCLC 85833345.