|Industry||Mail order, online shopping|
|Founder||William and Manny Fingerhut|
|Headquarters||Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.|
|Slogan||Now you can!|
Fingerhut was founded in 1948 by William Fingerhut and his brother Manny, selling automobile seat covers. In 1952, the business re-positioned itself to a mail order catalog company and diversified its goods to include towels, dishes, and tools. In 1969 the company went public.
Today, Fingerhut is distinguished from other online retailers in that customers can pay with credit, and make monthly payments until their orders are paid off.
The Fingerhut brand has passed through several ownerships during its existence, including onetime ownership by American Can Company and its successor Primerica, Federated Department Stores (1999), and Petters Group Worldwide (2002), and Bain Capital Ventures (2004).
In 2014 a class action lawsuit was filed in response to Fingerhut nuisance robocalls.
- Moore, Janet (January 17, 2002). "Fingerhut to shut down; 4,700 jobs lost in state; Finding buyer to save catalog retailer is unlikely, analysts say.(NEWS)". Star Tribune (Minneapolis, MN). Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- Kaufman, Leslie (February 12, 1999). "Federated Department Stores to Buy Fingerhut". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- "History: Fingerhut Companies Inc.", Funding Universe
- "Fingerhut Receives $62.5 Million Equity Investment: New Financing Positions Company for Significant Growth", Minneapolis, MN, March 31, 2004, press release.
- Chandler, Susan, "Data Is Power. Just Ask Fingerhut", Business Week, June 3, 1996, p. 69.
- Jaffe, Thomas, "Thumbs up on Fingerhut?", Forbes, January 21, 1991, p. 124.
- Louis, Arthur M., "Dead-Letter Days for Fingerhut", Fortune, November 1974, pp. 184–190.
- Meyer, Herbert E., "How Fingerhut Beat the Recession", Fortune, November 17, 1980, pp. 102–104.
- Phelps, David, "Pointing a Finger at Fingerhut", Minneapolis Star Tribune, January 10, 1999, p. 1D.
|This United States retail business article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|