House (built 1817) at the street Auedeich in Finkenwerder
|• Total||19.3 km2 (7.5 sq mi)|
|• Density||600/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Finkenwerder (Low German: Finkwarder, Finkenwarder or - wärder; German: Finkeninsel; translation: Island of finches) is a quarter of Hamburg, Germany in the borough Hamburg-Mitte. It is the location of a plant of Airbus and its airport. In 2006 the population was 11,629.
The port of Hamburg covers a part of this quarter. In 2006 according to the statistical office of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein, the quarter Altengamme has a total area of 19.3 km².
In 2006 in the quarter Finkenwerder were living 11,629 people. The population density was 602 /km2 (1,559 /sq mi). 18.9% were children under the age of 18, and 19.8% were 65 years of age or older. 13% were immigrants. 461 people were registered as unemployed and 3,928 were employees subject to social insurance contributions.
In 1999 there were 5,702 households out of which 25.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them and 39.9% of all households were made up of individuals. The average household size was 2.1.
In 2006 there were 867 criminal offences (75 crimes per 1000 people).
There were 2 elementary schools and 2 secondary schools in the quarter Finkenwerder.
Finkenwerder is divided into an industrial area and rural parts. The Hamburg Finkenwerder Airport run by the Airbus S.A.S. industries and some facilities of the port of Hamburg are located in this quarter.
Finkenwerder has six day-care centers for children, and also seven physicians in private practice and three pharmacies.
The quarter is not serviced by the rapid transit system of the city train. Public transport is provided by buses of the Hamburger Verkehrsverbund and the HADAG Seetouristik und Fährdienst, operating ferries on the Elbe river.
According to the Department of Motor Vehicles (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt), 4,354 private cars were registered in Finkenwerder (376 cars/1000 people). There were 58 traffic accidents total, including 45 traffic accidents with damage to persons.
- The camp is listed as No. 554 Hamburg-Finkenwerder in the official German list of concentration camps.
- Residents registration office, source: statistical office Nord of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein (2006)
- Source: statistical office Nord of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein (1999)
- State Investigation Bureaux (Landeskriminalamt), source: statistical office Nord of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein (2006)
- Source: statistical office Nord of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein (2006)
- Traffic accident statistic, statistical office Nord of Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein (2006)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hamburg-Finkenwerder.|