|Occupation||Music industry publicist|
Fiona Bloom is a music industry publicist that runs the New York City agency The Bloom Effect, which represents numerous recording artists and organizes high profile events on behalf of the organization's music industry clientele. Billboard (Magazine) listed her among 140 music business Twiteratti to follow. The Bloom Effect organizes and publicizes launch parties, international music events, live shows, album publicity, digital marketing, artists and repertoire consulting, and promotion. The company has produced over 1000 shows, consulted on more than 200 album projects and has been a part of over 300 recording artists’ careers. The Bloom Effect's clients have included The Lyricist Lounge, Babygrande Records, Tommy Boy Entertainment, Spectre Music, Penalty Recordings, MIDEM, Stones Throw Recordings, Mixtape Riot, Game, Bloomsbury, Nelson George, Mudville (band), Maya Azucena, Bill Laswell, The Renaissance Hotel, Anthony David (singer), Roxy Cottontail, Sway DaSafo Saian Supa Crew and other notables. Avery Sunshine and Erin Barra are also among her clients. Bloom has also served as the publicist for UK rapper SWAY.
Early professional career
After receiving her academic degree in Speech Communications, she began her career in 1991 at WSTR FM as the station's assistant music director and she also served as an on-air personality, interviewing recording artists including George Clinton and the Wu-Tang Clan. In 1994, EMI Records head Daniel Glass appointed her to the position of Director of New Artist Marketing. Here she worked with artists that included Gangstarr, Shara Nelson, Arrested Development and Digable Planets. After working at EMI, Bloom served as the Director of Media Relations at Zero Hour Records, where she was the Director of Media Relations, publicizing artists such as alternative rockers Varnaline and Swervedriver, experimental rockers Space Needle band and Notwist, songwriter Steve Wynn, and John Wesley Harding. With the success of these artists under her wing, her boss gave her the nod to start her own subsidiary record label, called 3-2-1. While running 3-2-1, she became recognized for signing the critically acclaimed hip hop duo Blackalicious. She additionally signed underground hip hop acts Connected, Skeme Team, Rubberoom, Scienz’ of Life, Micranots and Big Jus of Company Flow.
Bloom then decided to focus on publicity for popular hip hop artists including Bahamadia and Mystic. She also began promoting live shows for recording artists, such as Jeru Tha Damaga and Aloe Blacc. She ran the Subverse Skool imprint under the Sub Verse Music label, and then landed the position of Director of International Marketing at TVT Records, working with artists including the Yin Yang Twins, Lil Jon, Pitbull (rapper) and other artists. Bloom was also appointed as the late night booker for Joe's Pub.
Working with artists from both The United States and internationally, she co-produced this year’s showcase for A3C. A music industry tastemaker, Bloom has presented many shows at the music industry confab South by Southwest, as well as for the CMJ Music Marathon, where she has produced several showcases. She has also been a featured speaker on panels at SXSW.
She is among the artists profiled in the book 'Put Your Dreams First' by Thembisa Mshaka.
In 2009, Bloom was also a judge for the 8th annual Independent Music Awards to support independent artists' careers.
- "Fiona Bloom- putting energy in entertainment". Rollingout.Com. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- "Billboard's Twitter 140: Music-Industry Characters You Need To Follow". Billboard.bz. March 18, 2011. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- "Independent Music Awards". Musiciansatlas.com. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "Contact « Avery Sunshine". Averysunshine.com. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "Erin Barra | Brooklyn, NY | Pop / R&B/Soul / Rock | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos". ReverbNation. 2010-09-29. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "Fiona Bloom wins NARIP Award | SoulTracks - Soul Music Biographies, News and Reviews". SoulTracks. 2008-02-12. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "Fiona Bloom". Independentmusicawards.com. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- Brian Rogers (2009-03-25). "Grammy nominee Wayna arrested at Houston airport - Houston Chronicle". Chron.com. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "Onili « France Rocks". Francerocks.net. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- Jesse, Brother (2009-09-08). "Brother Jesse Blog: Blog Interview: Fiona spreading The Bloom Effect worldwide in marketing, branding and music". Jessemuhammad.blogs.finalcall.com. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "Interview Fiona Bloom". Femmixx.com. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "Caribbean Voice Radio has compelling articles to reach and inspire the diaspora at large". Caribvoiceradio.org. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "Fiona Bloom | Inspiring People | Living Louder". DanaRoc.com. 2006-10-19. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "Dana Delivered!". www.danaroc.com. 2009-10-26. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "Various - Connected (Vinyl, LP) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- Paul, Tom (2009-01-08). "Independent Music going on in NYC Coming Up: Fiona Bloom Presents Sound in Color hosted by Maya Azucena featuring Monica Blaire, Kameron Corvet and Post Man from Holland". Tompaulindiemusic.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "International hip hop stage debuts at A3C | A3C Hip Hop Festival". A3cfestival.com. 2011-09-01. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- Fiona Bloom (2009-03-19). "Build- Annual Urban Meet and Greet - The Unofficial SXSW Insider's Guide". Ningunofficialguide.com. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- Paul, Tom (2008-10-22). "Independent Music going on in NYC Coming Up: Fiona Bloom from The Bloom Effect presents CMJ Shows this week Global Hip Hop/Wayna/Maya Azucena - Check it out!!!". Tompaulindiemusic.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "SXSW 2008: Full Event List". Sxsw2008.sched.org. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "MTV Video Music Awards | 1999 | Highlights, Winners, Performers and Photos from the 1999 MTV Video Music Awards". MTV.com. 1999-09-09. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "Interview Fiona Bloom". Femmixx.com. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "Fiona Bloom Interview | SoulTracks - Soul Music Biographies, News and Reviews". SoulTracks. 2008-08-25. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- "Ambassadors of the Eclectic Lifestyle » Styleaholic of the Day: Fiona Bloom". Styleaholics.com. 2009-12-16. Retrieved 2011-10-19.