|Single by Sean Kingston|
|from the album Tomorrow|
|Released||April 24, 2009|
|Label||Epic, Geffen, Koch|
|Writer(s)||Kisean Anderson, Bilal Hajji, RedOne|
|Sean Kingston singles chronology|
"Fire Burning" is an electropop song by reggae musician Sean Kingston. It is released as the lead single from his second studio album Tomorrow. The song displays a little more synth–dance sound than his previous recordings, with influences of dance-pop. Unlike many of his previous singles, which are all produced by J.R. Rotem, the song is produced by RedOne. The song was used for the opening number of the Miss Universe 2009 live at the Atlantis Paradise Island, Nassau, Bahamas.
"Fire Burning" is an electropop song with a modern dance beat written by Robin Wang. The song's instrumentation consists of a heavy synthesizers and a variety of percussive sounds. The song is set in common time with a moderate tempo of 120 beats per minute and is written in the key of D flat major. It begins with an energetic clarion call to the dance floor followed by modern dance beat.
Kingston had released the song on his MySpace webpage to promote his song. The song was released to radio stations and for digital download April 24, 2009. To date the song has been played more than 13 million times on his MySpace page. As of July 22, 2012, the song has sold over 3 million downloads. Sean Kingston performed the song for the first time live at the Teen Choice Awards 2009.
The music video premiered on MTV on June 15, 2009. Rick Ross makes a cameo appearance in the video along with fellow island singer Iyaz. The video was directed by Gil Green. The video also shows Kingston's Audi R8 in the video.
- "Fire Burning" (Remix) (featuring Pitbull)
- "Fire Burning" (Remix) (featuring Adrian Banton & Pitbull)
- "Fire Burning" (Jody den Broeder Remix)
- "Fire Burning" (Jody den Broeder Radio Edit)
- "Fire Burning" (Dave Audé Club Mix)
- "Fire Burning" (Dave Audé Radio Mix)
- 103.5 KTU replaced the opening "Shorty fire burning" in the opening, to "KTU is burning".
Michael Menachem of Billboard reviewed the song as "the most danceable single yet" and commented on the fast tempo and Kingston's well-projected vocal "that allows producer RedOne to blend the infectious hook with heavy synthesizers and a variety of percussive sounds that made Lady Gaga's "Poker Face" so striking". He also comments that "the chorus is repetitive, it sounds just like 'Unstoppable' by Kat Deluna, but this song is often what makes for a sizzling club hit". Alex Fletcher of Digital Spy said that 'Fire Burning' has all the makings of a classic summer anthem with its swathes of GaGa-esque synths, infectious chorus hook and fuzzy bassline but he wasn't in favor of Kingston's reggae-tinged vocals.
Formats and track listings
- Digital download
- CD-Single (Germany)
- "Fire Burning" – 4:00
- "War" – 2:59
"Fire Burning" debuted at #29 on the Billboard Hot 100, making it Kingston's highest debut on the chart. Since then it has entered the top ten peaking at #5. It also peaked at number two on the Canadian Hot 100 for eight consecutive weeks.It became a #1 Record in South Africa and holding off strong competition from Lady Gaga's "LoveGame". Prior to this "Fire Burning" was ranked 36th on South Africa's Year-End-Chart.
Charts and certifications
- "Fire Burning: Digital Sheet music". Musicnotes.com. Alfred Publishing Company. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- Chart Watch - Yahoo Music
- "Australia Singes Top 50". Australian Recording Industry Association. acharts.us. September 13, 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- Suomen virallinen lista
- New Zealand Singles Chart
- "Turkey Top 20 Chart". Billboard Turkiye. Billboard. July 13, 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-13.[dead link]
- "Canadian Hot 100 Year-End 2009". Billboard. 2009. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- "Éves összesített listák - MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 (súlyozott)". Mahasz. Mahasz.
- "Charts Plus Year end 2009" (PDF). Charts Plus. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Year End Charts - Year-end songs - The Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved November 9, 2010.
- "Year End Charts - Dance club songs 2009". Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- "British single certifications – Sean Kingston – Fire Burning". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Fire Burning in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Silver in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American single certifications – Sean Kingston – Fire Burning". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Sean Kingston MySpace
- Official website
- Official UK website
- Sean Kingston interview by Pete Lewis, 'Blues & Soul' August 2009
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics