Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
|Fire Emblem: Thracia 776|
|Release date(s)||Super Famicom
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (ファイアーエムブレム トラキア776 Faiā Emuburemu Torakia Nana Nana Roku?) is a Japanese tactical role-playing game developed by Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo, and the fifth installment in the Fire Emblem series. It is also the third and final Fire Emblem series title to be released on the Super Famicom.
A pre-written version of the game was originally released through the Nintendo Power service on August 28, 1999 as part of a special DX Pack. The game was later available through the Nintendo Power service as software that could be written on to an existing SF Memory Cassette on September 1, 1999. In May 21, 2000 the game was released as a standard Super Famicom game. On July 15, 2008, the game was released for Nintendo's Virtual Console for the Wii in Japan, followed by the version for Wii U Virtual Console almost five years later on July 10, 2013.
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 takes place between Chapters 5 and 6 of the previous game, Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu. Several characters from Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu appear, such as Leif, Finn, and Nanna. It takes place in the Thracian peninsula in southeastern Jugdral.
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 uses the same skill system as Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu. It also introduced "fog of war" combat, also known as night combat. Some chapters in the game utilize this mechanic, where all tiles are obscured and only small areas around units are visible. In "Fog of war" mode, torches or torch wands can be used to increase vision in around a certain spot, though it wears out gradually each turn. The game also features "Capture" command, by which playable characters can capture an enemy and seize their equipment. Like Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo, Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 has the Dismount feature, including its similar characteristics, such as that Lance Knights and Axe Knights are forced to use swords when on foot and that cavalry and airborne units are forced to dismount in interior missions. This is also the only game in the series with a fatigue system. When a character participates in a battle, they fill their fatigue meter a bit. When it is full, they cannot participate in the next chapter. This encourages the player to use units sparingly and use more characters. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 also introduced the Rescue command, allowing one character to pick up and carry another (provided they are light enough). Once Rescued, a character is safe unless the carrier is killed. This mechanic allows players to save an important character they had unwittingly put in danger.
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 takes place in the Republic of Manster and the Kingdom of Thracia in the continent of Jugdral.
The game takes place during the latter half of the previous game Seisen no Keifu and slightly before the year Gran 776. Leif, the son of the fallen Prince Quan of Leonster (killed in a surprise attack by the Dragon knights of the Kingdom of Thracia under the command of King Travant), is seeking to restore the Kingdom of Leonster as the story begins.
Though it is positioned as a side story for Seisen no Keifu, the scenario proceeds with Leif being set as the main character in this title.
- Eyvel (エーヴェル Eeveru?) is the leader of the Fiana Freeblades. She is a skilled swordfighter and a mother figure to Leif, Nanna and Mareeta. She is Brigid from Seisen no Keifu, The mother of Patty and Faval also suffering from memory loss.
- Finn (フィン Finn?) is a knight of Leonster, and a good friend of the late Quan. He raises Leif and Nanna, and acts as their father figure. His treasured weapon is a Brave Lance awarded to him by Quan.
- Leif (リーフ Riifu?) is the Prince of Leonster, and son of Quan and Ethlyn. After the fall of Leonster, he escaped along with Finn and Nanna. After hiding at several cities in Thracia, such as Alster and Tahra, Leif finally settled down at a small village called Fiana.
- Mareeta (マリータ Mariita?) is Eyvel's adopted daughter. Her birth father is Galzus. She was possessed by a cursed blade and unwillingly fought against her foster mother. However the curse was broken by Saias.
- Nanna (ナンナ Nanna?) is the Princess of Nordion, and the daughter of Lachesis. She was raised by Finn and is Leif's childhood friend also playable in Seliph's tale.
- Travant (トラバント Torabanto?) is King of Thracia. In the battle of Barhara, he led the Thracian army to ambush Leonster's army in the Yied Desert. After Quan and Ethlyn died, he raised their daughter, Altena, as his own daughter.
- Raydrik The Duke of Manster. He was originally the Duke of Conote, but betrayed Thracia and sided with the Empire.
- Monthly GFantasy (manga version)
- スーパーファミコン - ファイアーエムブレム トラキア776. Weekly Famitsu. No.915 Pt.2. Pg.4. 30 June 2006.
- (Japanese) Official website at the Wayback Machine (archived October 27, 2013)
- (Japanese) Official website for the Wii Virtual Console version
- (Japanese) Official website for the Wii U Virtual Console version
- (Japanese) Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 at Fire Emblem World
- (Japanese) Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 at Fire Emblem Museum
- Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 at MobyGames
- Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 at Fire Emblem Wiki