Fire vampires are fictional characters in the Cthulhu Mythos. The term refers to two distinct types of beings: the Flame Creatures of Cthugha, created by August Derleth, and the Fire Vampires of Fthaggua, created by Donald Wandrei.
Flame Creatures of Cthugha
The fire vampires that serve the Great Old One Cthugha appear as many points of fiery light. They always accompany their lord whenever he is summoned to the Earth (though they may be summoned separately with the proper spells). Upon arriving, Cthugha's fire vampires ignite every flammable object they touch.
Fthaggua appears as an unsteady orb of blue flame. He is the high priest of Cthugha and is probably also his servant, or possibly his offspring. Like Knygathin Zhaum, there is some controversy regarding his status.
The Fire Vampires of Fthaggua
The Fire Vampires of Fthaggua resemble crimson bursts of lightning. They gain sustenance by draining energy from intelligent beings; the subject so affected bursts into flames as if experiencing spontaneous combustion. The fire vampires also absorb all memories from the targeted victim. Since the minds of the fire vampires form a collective "hive mind", all knowledge gleaned from a slain being is shared by every member.
Description of Fthaggua
Fthaggua is the regent of the fire vampires, and like his minions, gains energy and knowledge from the intelligent creatures they slay. With the knowledge so accumulated, Fthaggua and his minions can better plot their attacks on the sentient races of the universe, whom they regard as mere sources of food.
Fthaggua and his servants dwell in a huge building on the surface of a mysterious comet called Ktynga. They can guide this comet throughout the cosmos searching for intelligent civilizations to feed upon.
- Derleth, August (1997) . "The Dweller in Darkness". In Robert M. Price (ed.). The Nyarlathotep Cycle. Oakland, CA: Chaosium. ISBN 1-56882-092-5.
- Harms, Daniel (1998). "Fire Vampires". The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana (2nd ed. ed.). Oakland, CA: Chaosium. p. 111. ISBN 1-56882-119-0.
- Petersen, Sandy. Call of Cthulhu (5th ed. ed.). Oakland, CA: Chaosium. ISBN 1-56882-148-4.
- Wandrei, Donald (1997) . "The Fire Vampires". Don't Dream (1st ed. ed.). Minneapolis, MN: Fedogan & Bremer. ISBN 1-878252-27-5.
- This version of the "fire vampire" is portrayed in Derleth's "The Dweller in Darkness" and is the type of being that appears in the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game.
|This article about a fictional character is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|