|First appearance||Thor #225 (vol. 1, Jul 1974)|
|Created by||Gerry Conway
|Alter ego||Pyreus Kril|
|Team affiliations||Heralds of Galactus
|Notable aliases||Nova Centurion|
|Abilities||Use of Power Cosmic
Superhuman strength, reflexes and durability
Mastery of the electromagnetic spectrum
Total immunity to the rigors of space
Capable of travelling faster than the speed of light
Wields a flaming staff
Energy projection via his eyes and staff
Fictional character biography
Pyreus Kril was born on the planet Xandar, in the Andromeda Galaxy. He is a graduate of the Nova Corps Academy, the military and exploratory force of the planet Xandar. During his commission, he served aboard a Xandarian ship under the command of Gabriel Lan. Gabriel and Pyreus became friends, until Gabriel was abducted by the cosmic entity Galactus and transformed into the herald the Air-Walker. Pyreus assumes command as captain and begins an obsessive search for Gabriel. Pyreus eventually locates Galactus' vessel and confronts the entity, only to discover that Gabriel was killed in combat. Galactus tells this to Pyreus only after the Xandarian agrees to serve him as his latest Herald.
Pyreus is then transformed into Firelord, and after a period of servitude asked for his freedom. Galactus agrees on the condition that Firelord first find a replacement. Firelord travels to Earth and after an encounter with the Thunder God Thor and Hercules is freed when Thor presents Galactus with the armor of the Asgardian Destroyer to animate and use as a Herald. After aiding Thor on several occasions, Firelord returns to deep space. He returns months later with the Shi'ar agent Erik the Red, who tricks Firelord into battling the X-Men.
Several years later Firelord discovers that Thor has battled a robotic replica of the Air Walker, and after revealing the origin of the two Heralds to Thor returns to space with the remains of the android. Firelord later encounters Spider-Man in a fight - albeit one provoked by humans who drove Firelord into a temper because they believed that he was a mutant - but he was defeated by the wall-crawler due to Spider-Man's hit-and-run approach serving as an effective counter to Firelord's brute raw power. Firelord also meets the superhero team the Avengers, and assists them against the space-pirate Nebula. Firelord has since aided his fellow Herald Silver Surfer on a number of occasions, particularly against the threat of Morg, Galactus' most brutal Herald. Firelord assisted Thor in his battle against Thanos and his thrall Mangog. Firelord and Air-Walker also helped Nova and the New Warriors fight the Xandarian villain Supernova.
Firelord battles the Annihilation Wave alongside his fellow Heralds, including Red Shift and Stardust. Although wounded at one point, Firelord recovers and now seeks vengeance against the remnants of the forces of Annihilus as they destroyed his home-world of Xandar.
Powers and abilities
Pyreus Kril was a normal man until transformed by Galactus. Given mastery over the cosmic flame, Firelord wields a flaming staff and is capable of energy projection via his eyes and staff. Like all Heralds, the Power Cosmic provides Firelord with superhuman strength, reflexes and durability, flight, mastery of the electromagnetic spectrum and total immunity to the rigors of space. Firelord is also capable of travelling faster than the speed of light.
Pyreus Kril graduated from the Xandarian Nova Corps Academy, and in addition to a thorough knowledge of combat has knowledge of advanced alien technology and space navigation.
Guardians of the Galaxy
In the 31st century of Earth-691, Firelord is an ally of the Guardians of the Galaxy. He is known as "Protector of the Universe", but does not wear the Quantum bands traditionally assigned to the holder of the role. He soon joins the sub-group, the Galactic Guardians.
Marvel Zombies 2
Firelord appears as one of the "cosmic zombies' who return to Earth 40 years after the original infection. He has assisted the original space-faring group in eating nearly every sentient being in the galaxy. His jaw is literally broken so he can't speak. The returning zombies eventually regain control over their minds and cravings. The sole exception is the Hulk, who tries to eat the last of the human race. Firelord is destroyed while trying to stop him with his own staff..
In other media
- Firelord appears in the 1994 Fantastic Four episode "Silver Surfer and the Coming of Galactus" Pt. 2 voiced by Alan Oppenheimer. He and Terrax are summoned by Galactus to hold off three of the Fantastic Four while he assembles his machine that will enable him to consume Earth. Firelord engaged Mister Fantastic and Thing in battle. Once Galactus finished assembling the device, he sent Terrax and Firelord away.
- Firelord appears in The Super Hero Squad Show episode "Last Exit Before Doomsday." He is shown as one of the Heralds of Galactus. Human Torch gets upset to see that Firelord can use his powers in space.
- Firelord appears in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes final episode "Avengers Assemble." He is seen as one of Galactus' four heralds and is depicted as a fire construct rather than an actual alien. Firelord oversaw the construction of a device at a volcano that would help Galactus consume the Earth. He ended up fighting a group of heroes made up of Black Panther, Winter Soldier, Invisible Woman, Ant-Man, and Hulk. Firelord was weakened when Invisible Woman cut off his oxygen with her forcefield and was then put out by Hulk's power clap and his tower was destroyed by Winter Soldier with a bazooka.
- Firelord is featured as a boss in the Silver Surfer video game.
- Seen in flashback in Thor #306 (vol. 1, Apr. 1981)
- Thor #225 - 226 (vol. 1, Jul. - Aug. 1974)
- Thor #227 - 228 (vol. 1, Sep. - Oct. 1974); #232 (vol. 1, Feb. 1975); #246 - 247 (vol. 1, Apr. - May 1976)
- Uncanny X-Men #105 - 106 (vol. 1, Jun. - Aug. 1977)(bi-monthly)
- Thor #305 (vol. 1, Mar. 1981)
- Thor #306 (vol. 1, Apr. 1981)
- Amazing Spider-Man #269 - 270 (vol. 1, Oct. - Nov. 1985)
- War, Politics and Superheroes: Ethics and Propaganda in Comics and Film, p.283
- Avengers #258 + 260 - 261 (vol. 1, Aug. + Oct. - Nov. 1985)
- Silver Surfer #19 (vol. 3, Jan. 1989)
- Silver Surfer #74 - 75 (vol. 3, Nov. - Dec. 1992)
- Thor #20 - 25 (vol. 2, Feb. - Jul. 2000)
- New Warriors #40-42
- Annihilation #1 - 6 (2006) + Annihilation: Silver Surfer #1 - 4 (2006)
- Guardians of the Galaxy #4 (vol. 1, Sep. 1990)
- Galactic Guardians #1-4
- Fantastic Four (Heroes Reborn) #9 (vol. 2, Jul. 1997)
- Marvel Zombies #1 - 5 (2007 - 2008)
- "Silver Surfer and the Coming of Galactus Pt. 2". Fantastic Four.
- "Last Exit Before Doomsday". The Super Hero Squad Show.
- Firelord (Pyreus Kril) at the Marvel Universe wiki