||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (September 2009)|
A family-owned estate winery specializing in fine wines from California’s Central Coast. Firestone Vineyard was founded in 1972 as Santa Barbara County’s first estate winery.
Firestone Vineyard is one of the wineries along the famous Foxen Canyon Wine Trail.
Firestone Vineyard was founded by members of the Firestone family in 1972, as Santa Barbara County’s first estate winery. The winery was designed by Richard Keith & Associates, architects. The winery is located in the heart of the rural Santa Ynez Valley near the town of Los Olivos in Santa Barbara County. It includes a barrel cellar, fermentation cellar, crush pad, tasting room and bottling line for full production from the vine to the bottle. The winery is surrounded by 500 acres (2.0 km2) of estate vineyards. In early 2007, Firestone Vineyard opened a companion winery in Paso Robles, with a focus on small lots of Bordeaux varietals from select local vineyards.
William Foley II acquired Firestone Winery and surrounding 400 acres (1.6 km2) of land (300 acres under vine) in early August 2007 as part of a plan to expand his portfolio of small specialty wineries up and down the western coast (he owns Foley Winery in the Sta. Rita Hills). As part of an evolving brokering of the deal, the Paso Robles facility - initially planned to stay in Firestone hands - was also purchased by Foley.
Firestone Walker Brewing and Curtis Winery, will remain in the hands of the Firestone family. Curtis Winery focuses on Rhône wines from Ambassador's and Crossroads vineyards (Firestone family owned, and retained in the deal) and Voglezang vineyard (independently owned).
As of July 2008, William Foley II remains the proprietor of Firestone Vineyard, and Paul Warson is the winemaker.
Vineyards in the Santa Ynez Valley benefit from the unique east-to-west orientation of the surrounding mountain ranges which extends the growing season and encourages the development of balanced and flavorful grapes.
Firestone Vineyards estate vineyards have an alternating climate of warm afternoons followed by cooler coastal evenings. Temperature swings of up to 50 degrees are normal during the summer growing season which results in a long growing season. The estate vineyards soil is composed of gravelly loam with rocky subsoils. Well-draining soils are ideal for winegrowing.
Paso Robles Winery
The Firestone Paso Robles winery focuses on small lots of Paso Robles-grown Bordeaux, including Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. The winery is located at the corner of Highway 46 East and Airport Road near downtown Paso Robles and features a tasting room, barrel cellar, enclosed patio, estate vineyard and terraced gardens with picnic accommodations. Initial production is 4,000 cases annually.
Firestone Vineyard Paso Robles, was opened in early 2007. Firestone Vineyard purchased Paso Robles fruit for several vintages, and the quality of the resulting wines was enough to make the decision to establish a new winery. Firestone Vineyards affiliated company Firestone Walker Brewing Company relocated its brewing operations to Paso Robles in 2001. The Paso Robles winery is managed by Andrew Firestone.
Paso Robles resides 25 miles (40 km) inland from the coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco in northern San Luis Obispo County. The coastline is bordered by the Santa Lucia Mountains, which trap heat during the daytime. In the evening coastal air moves through the Templeton Gap. This climate pattern is ideal for Bordeaux production.
Firestone Vineyard also manages a collection of boutique estates on California’s Central Coast.
- Founded in 1995, Curtis Winery is a small winery which produces Rhône-style wines. Situated in Santa Barbara County’s Santa Ynez Valley, which is today recognized as one of the world’s leading appellations for Rhône varietals.
- Founded in 1996, Firestone Walker Fine Ales is a regional brewery. Firestone Walker Fine Ales was named World Beer Cup Champion Brewery for the category of mid-size brewing company in both 2004 and 2006.
- Prosperity Wines was founded in 1991 by Brooks Firestone and crafted it’s wines with a priority on quality. Prosperity Wines offers some of the best values in the marketplace
- Thomas G. Dolan (June, 2005). "Firestone vineyard: from grassroots to the limelight". Wines & Vines (Wine Communications Group, Inc.).
- Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg (2008-07-02). "At the Corner of Hollywood and Vine". The Washington Post (The Washington Post Company).
- "History". Firestone Vineyard official web site. Firestone Vineyard. Archived from the original on 2008-03-14. Retrieved 2008-07-31.