Firestorm Cafe & Books
Firestorm Cafe & Books is a worker-owned and self-managed "anti-capitalist business" located in downtown Asheville, North Carolina, USA. Named after the natural phenomenon, this infoshop operates with an eye on creating a sustainable, radical community event space. Firestorm Cafe & Books features a coffee bar, vegan food, free wireless internet, an extensive stock of books, and regular events (such as film screenings, political and economic teach-ins, local and traveling musicians and community workshops).
Firestorm Cafe & Books opened its doors in May, 2008. Since opening, Firestorm has hosted economist Thomas Greco, gay activist Wayne Besen, the Beehive Collective, environmental scholar Kirkpatrick Sale, and benefits for the animal rights group Mercy for Animals.
In May 2010, Firestorm Cafe & Books was named the "#2 Best Slow Money Business in America" by the Slow Money Alliance. In December 2011, Firestorm was featured in a list of the "10 Coolest Independent Coffee Shops Across the US" surveyed by Zagat, a U.S. publisher of popular restaurant guides.
Firestorm Cafe & Books is owned and operated by the Firestorm Collective, a cooperative body that uses formal consensus decision-making, working groups and management teams to equitably distribute labor and responsibility. In keeping with its identity as an "anti-capitalist business," Firestorm is committed to operation without profit, returning 100% of would-be profits to the community.
- "About Us". FirestormCafe.com. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- Kate (2008-11-10). "Store Profile: Firestorm Cafe". AKPress.org. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- "Room with a viewpoint | Asheville News | Mountain Xpress". Mountainx.com. 2008-05-21. Retrieved 2010-02-04.
- David Forbes (2009-09-23). "Asheville Currency project seeks alternative money". mountainx.com. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- "Local gay advocates slam Exodus conference message | citizen-times.com | Asheville Citizen-Times". citizen-times.com. 2008-07-16. Retrieved 2010-02-04.
- Maryellen Lo Bosco (2010-04-07). "Kirkpatrick Sale on the secession of "Katuah"". mountainx.com. Retrieved 2010-05-23.
- "Animals Rights Events in North Carolina". Mercy For Animals. Retrieved 2010-02-04.
- Our Favorite Slow Money Business
- Zagat (2011-12-27). "The 10 Coolest Independent Coffee Shops Across The U.S.". huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- Members of Firestorm Cafe & Books (2010-05-12). "Sound-bite vandalism". mountainx.com. Retrieved 2010-06-01.