FirstEnergy Stadium (Reading, Pennsylvania)
|Former names||Reading Municipal Memorial Stadium
|Location||1900 Centre Avenue
Reading, Pennsylvania 19601
|Broke ground||July 26, 1947|
|Opened||April 15, 1951|
|Owner||City of Reading|
|Operator||Reading Baseball G.P.|
($5.91 million in 2013 dollars)
|General contractor||Potteiger Construction Company|
|Field dimensions||LF - 330 ft
CF - 400 ft
RF - 330 ft
|Reading Indians (EL) (1952-1961)
Reading Red Sox (EL) (1963-1964)
Reading Fightin Phils (EL) (1967-present)
FirstEnergy Stadium is a 9,000-seat baseball-only stadium in Reading, Pennsylvania that hosted its first regular season baseball game in 1951. The park is home to the Reading Fightin Phils of the Eastern League. It was voted the second best place to see a baseball game by Minor League News in 2006. It is also the first ballpark to ever receive the annual Digital Ballparks.com Ballpark Of The Year Award, which it was awarded in 2002. It is the first American baseball stadium to reach a total attendance of ten million without ever serving a team higher than AA.
The stadium was originally known as Reading Municipal-Memorial Stadium before corporate sponsorship resulted in its current name.
Mike Schmidt made his professional debut at the ballpark on June 17, 1971 in an exhibition game between the Philadelphia Phillies and the Reading Phillies. The Phillies had signed Schmidt on June 11. In the exhibition game, Schmidt played the whole game at shortstop for the Phillies and hit the game-winning home run against Reading.
Prior to Municipal Stadium, Reading's professional baseball teams played at Lauer's Park.
- "Break Soil for Stadium". Reading Eagle. July 27, 1947. Retrieved September 17, 2011.
- Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–2013. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Plans for Municipal Stadium Delivered to City Officials". Reading Eagle. February 1, 1949. Retrieved September 17, 2011.
- "Work Proceeds on Schedule at Stadium Site". Reading Eagle. February 8, 1950. Retrieved February 27, 2012.
- Duke DeLuca (June 18, 1971). "Palmer Doesn't Mind The Exhibition Games". Reading Eagle. pp. 26, 28. Retrieved March 9, 2011.
- "Play Ball!". Reading Eagle. April 22, 1967. p. 4.
- FirstEnergy Stadium Events
- Reading Fightin Phils Website
- FirstEnergy Stadium Views - Ball Parks of the Minor Leagues
- Photographs of FirstEnergy Stadium - Rochester Area Ballparks